1911 compact suggestions

This is a discussion on 1911 compact suggestions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Buying another 1911 in .45 soon. Compact this time. Need suggestions. Not necessasarily looking for best gun but best gun for the value. Looking forward ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 compact suggestions

1911 compact suggestions

Buying another 1911 in .45 soon. Compact this time. Need suggestions. Not necessasarily looking for best gun but best gun for the value. Looking forward to your opinions and why. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I had a Kimber Ultra CDP II and found it quite accurate out of the box.
    If you're going to embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

Kimber Pro Carry II-very accurate, had a problem with a magazine-gun is blued, mag is staimless-doesn't like to feed reliably but with the gun itself totally satisfied.

I think a Colt Defender is a sweet little gun.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I'm considering a new Colt Defender and a used Para ordnance p12. Big weight difference. I currently own a colt lightweight commander and was thinking of something other than a colt.

I've got a colt Officers (NOT a defender) with a steel frame. I like it quite a bit. I honestly wouldn't purchase one with an aluminum alloy frame, the steel help to knock the recoil down at a weight penalty that's barely noticeable.

Rock Island makes a copy of it that can be very basic or tricked out depending what you're looking for. The only thing I'm planning on doing to mine is adding a high rise beavertail.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Colt New Agent?
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

Colt Vote

I would stick with the Colt, either the New Agent or the Defender. I believe they are more likely to work reliably than most other compact 1911s. I have 1000 rounds through my Defender with no problems. I'll grant that it recoils more than a steel 1911 because of reduced weight, but it sure is easy to carry. It isn't a target gun so the recoil is not a problem for its intended use. I do most of my 1911 shooting with full size steel models, and only shoot the Defender to maintain familiarity with it.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My Kimber UCII has been very reliable and is scary accurate.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

My Defender isn't much different than my full sized 1911 in the recoil dept.Just make sure you run enough rounds through it to trust it.And load it with a proven (in YOUR pistol) round.

Get a Springer or Colt. You wont be sorry you did.

what about a springfield micro compact or the other one in 3.5" cant remember the name of it. recoil is not bad compared to my night guard 325 of same weight.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

I assume that you are NOT going to carry seeing as it sounds like you are less concerned about quality and more concerned about price. With that being said, get the prettiest and cheapest one...
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II that has never misfired or failed to feed once in 2,000+ rounds. I clean it regularly after shooting but even when I didn't once, I just polished up the feed ramp wth a little compound on a rag, and it shot 100% on the next outing. Up until I bought the Kimber, I have been a total Glock guy for carrying due to their reliability but I've learned to love the 1911 platform also. I carry cocked and locked and this Kimber is easy to conceal plus it is as accurate as any Glock I have. It appears that some folks around here have had problems with Kimber compacts but as long as I don't try to shoot 165gr hollowpoints, which I would never do with the upright feed ramp common to 1911's, it digests 200gr and up with zero problems.

I carry a G32 and G36, and sometimes a Kahr MK9 when I need a pocket gun, but the Kimber is my normal winter gun. In the summer months, the Glocks just feel better against my bare skin.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Listen to Pogo....do the research and you'll find that once you drop below a 4" officers that reliability can get dicey. One of the clear exceptions appears to be the Colt Defender. The Colt New Agent is nothing more or less than the defender but with a snag free trench site, and blued finish.

I have the New Agent and find the recoil (perceived) to be less than my full size. Also, the trench site lines up easier/faster for me (I have poorer vision, middle aged you know...)

My Colt is reliabel with all ball ammo but has been a bit finickey with just a few Hollow Points.

I love the Colt New Agent and think it's a very good value for an all business dedicated CCW gun.

I think the Springer micro's would be next and they're backed by a good warranty and service department.

Still, If I had my druthers I would want a true officers sized 1911 made by Springfield arms but unfortunately they don't make one any longer which, for the life of me, I can't figure out why?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links