The wisdom of the snubbie

This is a discussion on The wisdom of the snubbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Problems with failures to eject, failures to feed, bad springs, bad magazines, finicky ammo, limp wristing, etc, etc. I think I'm finally ready to try ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Problems with failures to eject, failures to feed, bad springs, bad magazines, finicky ammo, limp wristing, etc, etc.

I think I'm finally ready to try a S&W 642 for conceal carry.

That's a good choice. Make sure you also get a couple of speed loaders and practice.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

gwlammers you are correct sir I to recognize the advantages a revolver offers over an auto loader. Now I know there trade offs to both,as with anything else in life there are pros and cons that go along with it. I do feel a lightweight snub nose revolver is a really fine choice in a defensive handgun.

I once knew a couple of people who swore by a snubby for their personal defense needs. One is a retired NYPD detective whose been in his share of gun fights,hes also the man who turned me on to the old chicargo load for defensive use.

The other was a navy seal(both he and his brother were seals) and he carried a S&W model 60 with a bobbed hammer. I feel if both these men have used firearms to defend their lives and have combat experience also,that is good enough for me. They both feel that a snub nose revolver is a good gun for defensive purposes. Your making a great choice in the S&W 642 it will serve you well,I feel with these guns are great in that they can be carried concealed just about anywhere and one never has a reason not to carry. I carry my S&W 442 airweight everywhere its legal because it is so easy to carry in a pocket.

A lot of those carry a semi-auto, carry a snubbie as a back up. LOL.

Never seen one not fire. I like all revolvers tho, not just snubbies.

Everyone should have at least one snub nosed .38, they are just right for a lot of jobs.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have both. A snubbie in the shop at work and 1911's most of the rest of the time. Got to admit that there are times I've considered just going all revo but I just shoot the 1911 platform so well! In truth I love 'em both.

The snubbie takes some work to get accurate with but the pistols are far more accurate than many make them out to be. It just takes some work to make sure the shooter does his part well.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gwlammers View Post
    Problems with failures to eject, failures to feed, bad springs, bad magazines, finicky ammo, limp wristing, etc, etc.

I think I'm finally ready to try a S&W 642 for conceal carry.
    So, what was it that finally turned you and how long did it take?

Like a lot of other LEO's, I carry one as a back up to my duty weapon, it is a customized S&W 360 rechambered for 9mm.
    You just can't go wrong with a quality snubby, they're simple, rugged, and they work. They're the best choice one can make for a "Get off me!" gun.

Welcome to the club. You will start to see the benefits much more once you own one and start to carry it! I bought one for my wife and she has het to shoot it...I carry it and she says she wants to stick to her 9mm FS (that will change when she starts carrying outside the home).

A joy/challenge to shoot and it kinda feels like a set of keys in the pocket. Go hammerless for CC, no other way!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

The first thing I bought when I decided to get back into concealed carry was a 642. It is my most trusted carry piece as well as easily the most comfortable. Go with the laser sights and practice point shooting. Snubs are not target pistols.

I have have 3 Sig's and I carry a S&W 642 in a pocket holster more than any other gun. It so easy just to drop holster and all in my front pocket and not worry about, is it showing, where is it on my belt, is it squeaking.....

I carry a speed strip 2 rounds, then 3 rounds. Easy to use that way. also have CT laser grips........

1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    The wife carries one. I like larger holes in my BG's so I'll pack a 1911. I do own a few snubbies, bu they are mostly safe queens.

Snubby fan

I also like snubbies and have a number of them. The 642 is my smallest and lightest weight, and I carry it in my pocket with a DeSantis Nemesis holster when nothing larger will work.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I love my 1911 but my week day attire makes it difficult to accomodate - specifically warmer weather. I bougth a 642 in December and carry it everyday in a Galco pocket holster.

After I the holster got a little wear time on it, I forget I have it with me. I really love it. I think I'll start shopping for a different pocket holster though.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Everyone should have at least one snub nosed .38, they are just right for a lot of jobs.
    +1

If I am wearing enough clothes I carry a full sized 1911 but for the most part the S & W 638 is with me just about every day. It is the best option for carry wearing a suit to work or just about any outfit for that matter.

I'll weigh in here again by saying my S&W 42 is my/has been my carry gun for a few months now. I'll also carry my Ruger SP101 IWB sometimes to but 95% of the time its my J-frame thats with me. I love all my 1911's but due to a lower back issue they become to heavy to carry even with my good gun belt and holsters.

The little snubbie just works especially in summer here where it gets VERY HOT,I have a S&W 649 bodyguard .38 special on layaway also right now to. I plan on using it in the summer but to it being stainless steel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links