G19 to bobtail 1911 and back to Glock...

This is a discussion on G19 to bobtail 1911 and back to Glock... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a G19 and occasionally a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911. Problem is after carrying the 1911 it's hard to go back to the ...

Thread: G19 to bobtail 1911 and back to Glock...

G19 to bobtail 1911 and back to Glock...

I carry a G19 and occasionally a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911. Problem is after carrying the 1911 it's hard to go back to the G19 because the 1911 is just such a sweet gun and it's a .45, but after I start carrying the G19 I have a hard time going back to the 1911 because of the weight difference.

Anyone else have something similar that they rack their brains over?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

I tried going back and forth between my Loaded Champion and my SAXD9sc but quit after I was starting to forget to disengage the safety on my 1911. I now just carry the XD.

I went from a 1911 to a G19 four or five years ago and never really looked back. The increased reliability, larger capacity, and lighter weight are just too many advantages to give up.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    I went from a 1911 to a G19 four or five years ago and never really looked back. The increased reliability, larger capacity, and lighter weight are just too many advantages to give up.
    yeah I hear that. It's just that I like .45acp as a caliber and the 1911 platform is sweet.

I was just having some trouble sleeping and my mind began to wander.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

off duty i carry three different guns, not at the same time. i change between them depending on what i am doing that day. a g27,s&w m60, and/or p3at. as you can see a wide range of size. the cals are close. it is hard to find that "one gun". i know some have, but i have not.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

Boxers or briefs, what leg to stick in my pants first, should I wear a pair of matching shoes or not, do I really want to go to work, and how can Ozzy not speak for nothing but sing fine.

All kidding aside, I still carry my 1911 although I'm carrying it less and less now that I've bought the XDM.

Apples and apples...

After I start carrying the G19 I have a hard time going back to the 1911 because of the weight difference.
    You must be comparing the G19 to a Commander size steel 1911, where the weight comparison is roughly 23 ounces to 36 ounces (empty). If your 1911 were a 3 inch aluminum frame gun like a Colt Defender, the weight would be 25 ounces empty and would be about the same as the G19. The Colt Defender is also smaller in dimensions than the G19 so it conceals more easily.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    You must be comparing the G19 to a Commander size steel 1911, where the weight comparison is roughly 23 ounces to 36 ounces (empty). If your 1911 were a 3 inch aluminum frame gun like a Colt Defender, the weight would be 25 ounces empty and would be about the same as the G19. The Colt Defender is also smaller in dimensions than the G19 so it conceals more easily.

I'm not really a small gun person. Considering a G26 for my sister to use and practice with as she is uncomfortable with something larger at the moment. For me I just don't get into them. Yeah I know the Defender is lightweight.

Anyhow it's just that sometimes I say "now what do I want today?" I love both too much I guess.
    -Thomas Jefferson

1911 for me all the way. I just sold off my last Glock and my last M&P. Both are great guns, but I just find the 1911 works much better for me. I enjoy them a lot more. Also, I had more FTF's and jams with my Glock 23 than I have with any 1911 or Hi-Power.

My CDP Pro weighs 28 ounces and held next to a Glock 23 is very close in size, except thinner. When I carry any 1911, I feel like I have MY gun on me, exactly how I want it. When I carried Glocks or M&Ps, they were all the same.

My M&P full size 45 held 2 more rounds than my 1911s with Wilson Combat magazines. Every day, I practice my draw - fire - reload. I don't feel 9 rounds is too little by any means.

My Wilson Professional will weigh in about 7 or 8 ounces more than my CDP, but in a good holster should be fine. I've carried 5" steel 1911s with no problem and I'm 5'8 and 165.

I understand the view of 9mm and Glock owners etc., but for me the 1911 is just more mine than the others. Having said that, I'd trust my life to a Glock, M&P or Sig, just as I would to my 1911s.

Jonathan

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Was and still am a 1911 lover. Cost of quality ammo (Winchester Rangers, my favorite) drove me to buy a 1977 vintage Browning HP. After a new C&S extended safety, C&S sear w/trigger job, disconnected the mag safety and adding a set of Spegals have the best CCW I've ever owned. Still pack my 1990 SA standard w/upgrades on occasions. Sweeping the safety comes with practice and memory programming. Love it in case one of the younger hoodlums who has no idea the safety is there tries and succeeds in getting hold of it I might have the extra time to either wrestle it back while snapping his wrist or elbow in the process. The retention class I attended concerning the last sentence was fantastic, but I was sore for days. Highly recommend one for anyone who carries.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Down right impossible to argue intelligently with your logic.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

I feel yor pain

I carry a G19 and occasionally a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail 1911. Problem is after carrying the 1911 it's hard to go back to the G19 because the 1911 is just such a sweet gun and it's a .45, but after I start carrying the G19 I have a hard time going back to the 1911 because of the weight difference.

I carry my Glock 22 most everyday, then usually on weekends out comes the CBOB. I always look forward to carrying the 1911 but then on Monday I really feel good about slipping the Glock back on. It's good to have more than one gun that you really like. I know for sure if I knew when the S was going to HTF I'd be Glocked up.

Yeah sometimes I look at my carry guns, pick up one, put it back down and take my daily carry G19 just like most every day.

I carry a .45 99% of the time adn the other 1% is a Glock 27. I split time between a Kimber Ultra Carry, a CDP Pro, and a CBOB. Since I got my new belt, I really don't notice the weight difference unless I stop and think about it. I'm carrying my CBOB most fo the time now and it's by far the heaviest of them all. I have personal and practical reasons for not carrying a 9. Swore them off for all but target practice and general fun. Not trying to start a swarm of angry posts, it's just my choice.
    Long live the CBOB!
    Sarge
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Links