9mm, pps, xdm, xd9, g19, 26, or 27????

This is a discussion on 9mm, pps, xdm, xd9, g19, 26, or 27???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since this is *the* day, innauguration day so we decided celebrate and to get a couple more today. I've searched and read what you all ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm, pps, xdm, xd9, g19, 26, or 27????

9mm, pps, xdm, xd9, g19, 26, or 27????

Since this is *the* day, innauguration day so we decided celebrate and to get a couple more today. I've searched and read what you all said but I am a little confused. Definitely want 9mm. Got rid of a .357 so looking to replace it plus add another. The new Taurus Slim that comes out in March sounds like it might be nice, but who knows, with Obama, Emanuelle AND Holder, 3 grabbers, March might be too late.

I think it's fair to say the Springfield Armory XP is well liked but which one? The XDM or the XD9? What is the difference? Also some XP9's say subcomact, others don't. Are there 2 and which is preferred. Which do you all like the best?

Walther PPS. I read that some of you like this and it has less recoil than the others which is always a plus but it looks a little small, hard to tell from the pics.

Glock, I know these are work horses but so many sizes. 19, 26, 27??? It seems that most prefer the 19 but some of you love the 26 and 27. We just sold the .357 Glock, nobody liked it .

Which ones have less recoil, ease of racking the slide. Size doesn't matter that much, although one smaller than the other would be nice. Also, safety, do any of these have any special safety features?
    Slide isn't an issue for you guys but some are hard. The PPK forget it. No problem with the Sig .380, Bursa .380 or any .22's. The .357 glock was fairly easy too. My friend's .45 forget it. Fired it once, never again.

2. Remove Ads

I'd go with the .40 Glock 23. It isn't very big, doesn't have much kick - but it has more stopping power than the 9mm or the .380.

You could go with the sub-compact model, depends on the size of your hands and how it fits.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Check out the M&P line by smith and wesson too.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

if you want a 9mm then i would go with the glock. now for size, the g19 will hide about as easy as the g26. but both will do the job. yes the glock is a work horse.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlKeysgirl View Post
    Walther PPS. I read that some of you like this and it has less recoil than the others which is always a plus but it looks a little small, hard to tell from the pics.

Glock, I know these are work horses but so many sizes. 19, 26, 27??? It seems that most prefer the 19 but some of you love the 26 and 27. We just sold the .357 Glock, nobody liked it .

Which ones have less recoil, ease of racking the slide. Size doesn't matter that much, although one smaller than the other would be nice. Also, safety, do any of these have any special safety features?
    Slide isn't an issue for you guys but some are hard. .
    I'm thrilled to read anytime where a lady is contemplating a handgun purchase. Of course I'm not sure of your shooting experience, hand size, method of carry, etc., but here are some thoughts:

Just like taking a test drive on a car, it would be great if you could actually fire some of your choices to help you make a decision.

Regarding "special safety features"on handguns.....put into practice the 4 gun safety rules, be DILIGENT about them and you'll be fine. Be sure and use a holster, it covers the trigger and gives you an added level of safety.

I have 3 of the guns you mentioned, and some quick thoughts from me about each. BTW I'm not pushing a particular gun to you, I'm only making comments based on my personal experience in owning these three.

Walther PPS, comes in 9 mm or .40, it's thin, the trigger pull seems shorter than a Glock to me, and the recoil does seem mild. It comes with a single stack extended mag that lengthens the grip. To me it is a bit ugly, though that shouldn't be an issue. The mag release is built into the trigger guard....ugh.

Glock 27, fairly thick and blocky; IMHO the short grip needs a mag extension or extended mag floor plate, for a good grip. Double stack mags; .40 has a little snappy recoil, though not an issue with me, but possibly with others. The G 26 is pretty much the same gun, though it's 9mm.

Glock 19 is a classic of classics. 9mm, with double stack mags, it is somewhat small but still what I'd call a full sized gun. Many carry it concealed, however it is the largest of these three.

I hopes this helps, you'll get plenty of advice here, just remember you have to be happy with your choice too.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I will double the Smith and Wesson M&P comment. Go and handle all of the weapons you can and see which ones fit you best. Rack them, hold them, push all the buttons...
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I've got the XDM in .40, and it is the best gun I have ever shot. I've shot Glocks, Berettas (mainly the M9 and PX4) and Bersas, Walthers, and three different types of 1911. I can't think of a more comfortable gun to own. It's not small, so it doesn't conceal easily, but where I work and live, it's not an issue. Yay for TN.

DCT
    Both my wife and I each have a Walther PPS (9mm) for CC. It's thin profile and small size make it a good fit for convenient concealed carry. It's lightweight as well .. which like. Both of us are fairly thin, and I've always worn shirts tucked in as I'm just more comfortable that way and the PPS typically allows me to remain this way w/o printing (~5:30 carry).

I have fairly small hands, and feel that the double stack mag of the Glock 26/27 is a bit awkward. That having been said the 6 + 1 carry of the PPS is the nicest for convenience, but the 7 or 8 round mags fit the hand better and I expect this would be the case for most people. It's mostly a matter of getting used to it I think.

For some comparison (even though I realize it's not exactly apples to apples). I have a Sig p229 (9mm) as well that I really like, but I find it slightly more difficult to readily conceal (have to go untucked) and I really notice the weight difference. I find that if I'm on my feet all day, I really do notice the weight (especially if carrying while wearing dress clothing for work etc ... where I can't pass of the heavier belt).

FWIW ...

I have a Springfield XD subcompact 40 cal and I love it. It tucks away very easy and is very accurate, recoil is low as well. I bought it on a whim and now I am an XD junkie.

In answer to your questions about the XD pistols, there are indeed a LOT of variations. However, it might help to think about them as two main versions, the original XD series has been around for some time in various calibers and sizes. The new XDM is only currently available in full-sized guns. The XDM has a better trigger, a more accurate barrell, and swappable grip panels to fit various sized hands, as well a a few other improvements. There are more options in caliber and size in the original XD, although I expect the new XDM will soon catch up. If you are looking for a compact or sub-compact, then the original XD series is your only option with now.

I have the Walther PPS in 9MM- ben carrying it since summer. It's is small and thin. As others have said, easy to conceal and easy on the recoil as well, I do find the slide a little tight (mine has had about 1000 rounds through it now). I am a petite female, and have trouble finding weapons that comfortably fit my hands- the Walter is a good fit. The S&W M&P was a good fit as well- I almost bought one recently, and handled it quite a bit. I find both the Glock and the Springfield XD to be a bit "chubby" in the grip for me. I just can't get my hand wrapped comfortably around it and feel secure shooting single handed, especially on the off-hand. Also, with the XD's, the size of the grip causes me to have to rotate my hand a bit to get good trigger control, and I can't say that I would reliably engage the safety on the grip because of that- I have very small hands and short fingers, though.

I also would recommend the Sig P250. I bought one just before Christmas with the medium grip. It fits me well in the medium, and I just put a small grip on order which should be even better.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

One thing to consider, unless you have unlimited funds or don't intend to practice often (not a good idea obviously), is the price difference between 9mm and .40 ammunition. Cheaper ammo can mean more practice, making you a better shot.

I've had a PPS for a short time. It fits my absurdly small hands perfectly and shoots smoothly. The slide is pretty tight though.

The real answer to which gun is to shoot as many of them as you can and see which one fits you best.

Of the ones you mentioned, I have two PPS pistols (one 9mm, one 40 S&W), a SA XDM (in 40 S&W) and I had a XD SC (in 40 S&W) that my daughter stole.

Walther PPS -- I like this pistol. My wife stole my 9mm as she found it was one of the few semi-autos that she was able to rack the slide on. Both of ours are accurate, have been absolutely reliable with a variety of ammunition and are an ideal size for conceal carry. With the 3 available sizes of magazines (6,7,& 8 for the 9mm, 5,6, & 7 for the 40) and combined with two sizes of backstraps, they offer the ability to tailor the grip length and circumference to your preference. I do find two things about this gun that require a fair amount of practice to get used to. The misplaced (in my opinion) magazine release. I find it uncomfortable and awkward to use. My wife like it. It has also been my experience with both of my guns that it has a very short reset on the trigger and unless you practice to get used to it, it is relatively easy to let a second shot get away from you. I like the trigger a lot, but it is something that takes a bit of training.

SA XD & XDM -- I gave my daughter the choice of several of my handguns for her CC gun and she picked the XD SC 40. I wouldn't let my daughter's life depend on it if I wasn't completely comfortable with the reliability of the gun. Excellent accuracy for a short barrel gun and has never failed even though my daughter has a sometimes habit of limp-wristing. The XDM is a larger gun which I purchased primarily as a home defense handgun and a range gun. I haven't put a bunch of ammo out of this one yet, but so far it has been completely reliable, accuracy is more than acceptable and I really like the trigger for a long-pull trigger. Both the XD and the XDM are actually single action guns. That means that when you pull the trigger, all you are doing is releasing the sear. When you rack the slide, the gun is at full cock and pulling the trigger plays no part in the cocking process. The advantage is that it gives a crisper trigger pull. The dis-advantage is that if you have a bad primer in a round or get a lite strike, there is no second strike capability.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    I will double the Smith and Wesson M&P comment. Go and handle all of the weapons you can and see which ones fit you best. Rack them, hold them, push all the buttons...

Thanks everyone for the advice. Going to check them out in person isn't a viable option since the nearest large gun shops are 100 + miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    I have the Walther PPS in 9MM- ben carrying it since summer. It's is small and thin. As others have said, easy to conceal and easy on the recoil as well, I do find the slide a little tight (mine has had about 1000 rounds through it now). I am a petite female, and have trouble finding weapons that comfortably fit my hands- the Walter is a good fit. The S&W M&P was a good fit as well- I almost bought one recently, and handled it quite a bit. I find both the Glock and the Springfield XD to be a bit "chubby" in the grip for me. I just can't get my hand wrapped comfortably around it and feel secure shooting single handed, especially on the off-hand. Also, with the XD's, the size of the grip causes me to have to rotate my hand a bit to get good trigger control, and I can't say that I would reliably engage the safety on the grip because of that- I have very small hands and short fingers, though.

I also would recommend the Sig P250. I bought one just before Christmas with the medium grip. It fits me well in the medium, and I just put a small grip on order which should be even better.
    Thank you very much, it's always good to hear anothe girls opinion. I'm not petite, 5'7" 118 and my hand size is average. I have a Sig .380 238 and love it. The slide is easy to rack and the recoil is low.
    Also have the Bursa Thunder Plus .380, it's a little hard to rack, but not bad, but I like the Sig better. I want a 9mm because I have lots of 9mm that we got for the Colt AR 15 9mm. Also I think it's a good carry gun if they ever get my permit processed. Isn't the S & W similar to the Sig? It looked like it to me.
    5 of my friends applied the same time I did, mid November and the checks haven't cleared YET which means they are sitting on someone's desk.
    I guess the state employees are O signs an executive order and they won't have to bother with the mounds of paper work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links