Please help rate different brand guns- READ

This is a discussion on Please help rate different brand guns- READ within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I thought it would be good to see how everyone rates on the different brands based on experiance. I am not sure how to best ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help rate different brand guns- READ

I thought it would be good to see how everyone rates on the different brands based on experiance. I am not sure how to best go about this but here goes... First type your favorite weapon (brand, model and caliber), then answer the following and give an answer on the 0-10 scale (0 being lowest, 5 as average and 10 is highest)

Rate the following...
    1- Fit and finish (feel of quality)
    2- Sight picture (stock sights)
    3- Egronomics (can you reach everything without shifting grip)
    4- Ease of maintenance (field stripping)
    5- Finish quality (blueing, nickel plating, ect.)
    6- Accuracy (be honest, don't blame the gun if it is you)
    7- Price value (do you get what you pay for, or more?)
    8- Overall looks (Is it appealing to your sight?)
    9- Warranty (fast turnaround, lifetime...)
    10- Parts/accesory availability and cost (mags, sights, ect.)
    11- Reliability
    Please feel free to rate as many guns as you would like. Please answer ALL questions as honestly as you can. Just cut and paste
    Last edited by nosights; January 20th, 2009 at 11:55 PM.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Smith and Wesson
    M&P Compact
    .45 ACP

8-Fit and Finish
    5-Sight Picture
    10-Egronomics
    9-Ease of Maint.
    9-Finish quality
    9-Accuracy
    9-Value
    7-Looks
    10-Warranty
    8-Parts/Accesory Avail.

Kimber Grand Raptor II

10- Fit and finish (feel of quality)
    8- Sight picture (stock sights)
    10- Egronomics (can you reach everything without shifting grip)
    5- Ease of maintenance (field stripping)
    9- Finish quality (blueing, nickel plating, ect.)
    10- Accuracy (be honest, don't blame the gun if it is you)
    8- Price value (do you get what you pay for, or more?)
    10- Overall looks (Is it appealing to your sight?)
    8- Warranty (fast turnaround, lifetime...)
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Well, here's making it easy on both you and me. I rate my choice as a ten on all accounts other than #9 of which I have no experience, and hope I don't have to learn about that. My SIG P220 SAO rates a ten on all but #9 for good reasons.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Brand- Sig Sauer
    Model- P229R DAK
    Caliber- .40 S&W

Fit and Finish 10
    It's definitely quality. The parts fit together very well, and are well made. I haven't seen any burrs or flashing anywhere, and I can't see a way for anything to come loose. Had thousands of rounds through it without a single malfunction. I KNOW this will go bang every time.

Sight Picture 10
    I haven't seen the stock sights, but the optional siglite sights. They are bright and easy to pick up in low light, and very clear in daylight. They are defined and there's no question where they are lined up. They have different front sight posts and rear sights to adjust elevation, and are driftable for windage. They aren't match grade target sights, but they are perfect for a defensive pistol.

Ergonomics 9
    Double action only, so the only controls are the slide stop, trigger, and mag release. I have kinda small hands, so I got thinner grips and a short trigger. Fits me pretty well and everything is easy to reach. The gun feels great in my hand, and a two handed grip feels pretty natural also...no fumbling around to find a good place for my support hand thumb.

Ease of Maint. 10
    One of the easiest pistols to dissamble...just rotate the lever, and the slide comes off. The lever is very low profile so you won't inadvertantly rotate it. It's easy to clean and lubricate, and doesn't have any unneccesary nooks and crannies to clean. Even a complete armorers teardown is pretty simple and can be accomplished with very few tools.

Finish quality 10
    Mine is blued. It's been holstered/unholstered a lot and hasn't shown any significant signs of wear. I've only had it for a year though, so I can't attest to the long term durability.

Accuracy 10
    It's pretty easy to call my shots. It puts the bullet where I aim it. I haven't shot it from a rest or anything, so I can't give you a grouping @ 25 size or anything, but it's more accurate than a lot of other pistols I've shot.

Value 10
    I paid around $1100 for it with night sights, an extra mag, and tax. Worth every penny. So worth it I've been thinking of picking up another one. I think you get more than you pay for, and I think it beats out a lot of other guns in the same price range.

Looks 10
    Sigs are sexy.

Warranty ?
    I can't remember what the warranty is. I haven't had to send it in, and I doubt I ever will.

Parts/Accesory Avail. 10
    Plenty to get for it...night sights, match grade barrels, several grip choices (hogue rubber, hogue aluminum, stock, sig proshop wood, sig aluminum), short trigger, nickel plated controls, lasermax guiderod, stock parts and magazines are readily available, and anything you can put on a rail. You can also convert SA/DA's to the DAK trigger. It's a common gun, so almost every holstermaker is going to have a holster for it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Taurus PT99 - Stainless

9-Fit and Finish
    7-Sight Picture
    8-Egronomics
    8-Ease of Maint.
    9-Finish quality
    10-Accuracy
    10-Value
    9-Looks
    10-Warranty
    10 and 7-Parts/Accesory Avail. (lots of parts, not much accessories)

Para Ordnance 18-9 LDA Limited

10-Fit and Finish
    10-Sight Picture
    10-Egronomics
    6-Ease of Maint. (I hate 1911 barrel bushing)
    8-Finish quality (black finish doesnt seem durable)
    9-Accuracy (3" groups at 25 yards)
    6-Value
    10-Looks
    10-Warranty
    10 and 7-Parts/Accesory Avail. (lots of parts, not much accessories)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

3" Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum

Rate the following...
    9 It's Stainless
    8, Not much is needed beyond a custom Front Sight.

79/100 and that's a high score in my book. I have some others that may rate higher, but so far that's my favorite. The Autoloader that is fast moving up, in my world, is the Hi Power. I would've selected the 1911 just a month ago, but the Hi Power is that good.

Browning Hi Power Practical .40 S&W

Rate the following...
    3, Trijicons will fix this.
    7, I've not tested the warranty service of Browning so I gave them a passing score of 7. In my book, passing is 70%.

83/100 for the Hi Power, and I haven't even had it a month yet. The more I play with the Hi Power the more I recognize the genius of John Browning.

Biker

Actually im not a fan of 0-10 rating systems, to much difference between poor and excellent, much prefer

1 = poor
    2 = below average
    3 = average
    4 = above average
    5 = excellent
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing

You missed the all important criteria - reliability (10).
    Glock 23 - 40 S&W
    9 Fit and finish (feel of quality)
    7 Sight picture (stock sights)
    7 Egronomics (can you reach everything without shifting grip)
    10 Ease of maintenance (field stripping)
    10 Finish quality (blueing, nickel plating, ect.)
    10 Accuracy (be honest, don't blame the gun if it is you)
    10 Price value (do you get what you pay for, or more?)
    8 Overall looks (Is it appealing to your sight?)
    10 Warranty (fast turnaround, lifetime...)
    10 Parts/accesory availability and cost (mags, sights, ect.)

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Springfield XD45acp 4" Service Black finish

1- Fit and finish = 8 (feels like a combat handgun)
    2- Sight picture = 8 (typical three dot)
    3- Egronomics = 10 (fits me just right)
    4- Ease of maintenance = 10 (simple maintenance)
    5- Finish quality = 9 (would like a more durable coating but its decent)
    6- Accuracy = 10 (dead nutz accurate)
    7- Price value = 10+ (for the money I think its awesome value)
    8- Overall looks = 10 (wayyy better looking than a Glock or Steyer)
    9- Warranty = 10 (Lifetime warranty from Springfield)
    10- Parts/accesory availability and cost = 8 (lack of some parts/accessories)
    11. Reliability = 10 (so far no problems whatsoever)
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm

8- Fit and finish (feel of quality)
    7- Sight picture (stock sights)
    9- Egronomics (can you reach everything without shifting grip)
    8- Ease of maintenance (field stripping)
    8- Finish quality (blueing, nickel plating, ect.)
    8- Accuracy (be honest, don't blame the gun if it is you)
    10- Price value (do you get what you pay for, or more?)
    6- Parts/accesory availability and cost (mags, sights, ect.)

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Wilson Combat CQB, .45ACP. All 10's except #7 where I simply wish they were less costly (but they're worth every penny) so I'll give it a 9 there. And I've had no need to try the warranty (but have dealt with them on aftermarket stuff and gotten superb service). Note on number 4, I've been doing these awhile.... And reliability (the one you missed) is also a solid 10.

Glock 19 9mm (ditto each for the 17 and 26 in 9mm)
    1-7
    2-7
    3-8
    4-10
    5-10 (not pretty, but ultra tough)
    6-7 (maybe 8)
    7-10
    8-6 (face it, they're ugly!)
    9-Dunno.
    10-8
    Reliability (the one you missed) solid 10.

Note: Seems to me it'll be easy to over rate ones pistols. Have a look at the numbers I gave my Glocks. I think they're accurate, and the 19 is certainly one of the finest fighting pistols ever built. Even so, it doesn't rate top marks all around.

Rate the following...
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Sorry, I did miss reliability. I actually had to go back up and read my post because I couldn't believe that I missed it...There, all fixed!

Glock 27

1- Feels blocky like a Glock, which isn't necessarily a BAD thing to everyone... they do make Hogue grips for the glocks u know =P, but the first time I picked up a Glock I noticed how rock solid it felt in my grips, I just couldn't believe the design while I studied how it functioned because it was just such a good idea. The Point: I used to want 5 rounds of .357 magnum in a Ruger SP101, and now I want to customize a new Glock 27 that will hold 10 rounds of 180gr Ranger "Talon" Series .40 S&W LE HPs
    2- Stock sights suck. I like Trijicon Night Sights with a new LG-436 Laser for the G27 by Crimson Trace
    3- Yes to your question
    4- As easy as it gets
    5- Whenever I compare the finish of a gun I consider purchasing, I always visualize the gun's slide in front of me sitting next to a stock Glock slide and ask myself, "...while listening to your instincts and using your senses to study the two pistols, which willl withstand the hardest life the longest? The Glock always wins when I play that game.
    6- Very Good, but not as fine as my Kobra Carry 1911 by Ed Brown
    7- I work in EMS so I have the discount which gets me Glocks for about $398.00 stock brand new. There aren't many better deals than that...
    8- I like how the compact and sub-compact Glocks look with the +2 GP EXT on the subcompacts and a Hogue grip on both models. Some people don't like Glocks at all. I do, but I don't give near as much importance to the physical attractiveness of my concealed carry pistol because it isn't going to be seen by anyone unless the SHTF, and then the pistol's aesthetics won't be within 25 miles of my mind, so I think I will leave the good looks to my Stainless Steel Colt Python 357 magnum which is sitting in a leather holster in my home I take it out from time to time. I will admit though that I find my Sig Sauer P239 with a Hogue grip fit perfectly in my hand, 10/10, as the Glock 27's with MAG EXT I would rate at about a 7/10. I will still take the Glock 27 over the P239 as a CCW. It is a more compact design and the four extra rounds matter... potentially a LOT
    9- Glocks service rocks
    10- The parts marketing for the Glock pistol is a noteworthy industry in itself...
    11- Reliability - Glocks are as close as it gets to revolvers.

Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Brand- Sig Sauer
    Model- P229R DAK
    Caliber- .40 S&W

Fit and Finish 10
    It's definitely quality. The parts fit together very well, and are well made. I haven't seen any burrs or flashing anywhere, and I can't see a way for anything to come loose. Had thousands of rounds through it without a single malfunction. I KNOW this will go bang every time.

Sight Picture 10
    I haven't seen the stock sights, but the optional siglite sights. They are bright and easy to pick up in low light, and very clear in daylight. They are defined and there's no question where they are lined up. They have different front sight posts and rear sights to adjust elevation, and are driftable for windage. They aren't match grade target sights, but they are perfect for a defensive pistol.

Ergonomics 9
    Double action only, so the only controls are the slide stop, trigger, and mag release. I have kinda small hands, so I got thinner grips and a short trigger. Fits me pretty well and everything is easy to reach. The gun feels great in my hand, and a two handed grip feels pretty natural also...no fumbling around to find a good place for my support hand thumb.

Ease of Maint. 10
    One of the easiest pistols to dissamble...just rotate the lever, and the slide comes off. The lever is very low profile so you won't inadvertantly rotate it. It's easy to clean and lubricate, and doesn't have any unneccesary nooks and crannies to clean. Even a complete armorers teardown is pretty simple and can be accomplished with very few tools.

Finish quality 10
    Mine is blued. It's been holstered/unholstered a lot and hasn't shown any significant signs of wear. I've only had it for a year though, so I can't attest to the long term durability.

Accuracy 10
    It's pretty easy to call my shots. It puts the bullet where I aim it. I haven't shot it from a rest or anything, so I can't give you a grouping @ 25 size or anything, but it's more accurate than a lot of other pistols I've shot.

Value 10
    I paid around $1100 for it with night sights, an extra mag, and tax. Worth every penny. So worth it I've been thinking of picking up another one. I think you get more than you pay for, and I think it beats out a lot of other guns in the same price range.

Looks 10
    Sigs are sexy.

Warranty ?
    I can't remember what the warranty is. I haven't had to send it in, and I doubt I ever will.

Parts/Accesory Avail. 10
    Plenty to get for it...night sights, match grade barrels, several grip choices (hogue rubber, hogue aluminum, stock, sig proshop wood, sig aluminum), short trigger, nickel plated controls, lasermax guiderod, stock parts and magazines are readily available, and anything you can put on a rail. You can also convert SA/DA's to the DAK trigger. It's a common gun, so almost every holstermaker is going to have a holster for it.
    +1 on the Sig. I only own one right now, but I can see myself buying a few more.!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links