Kahr K9 vs. Kahr MK9 for CCW

This is a discussion on Kahr K9 vs. Kahr MK9 for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For IWB carry, wondering if anyone has direct experience with both a Kahr K9 and an MK9. Any major difference in comfort and ease of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr K9 vs. Kahr MK9 for CCW

Kahr K9 vs. Kahr MK9 for CCW

For IWB carry, wondering if anyone has direct experience with both a Kahr K9 and an MK9. Any major difference in comfort and ease of concealment? Is the MK9 enjoyable and accurate enough to shoot in comparison to the K9? What if you wanted to ocassionally compete with it...any major diferences? Other insights?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

CW9

I know, I know, you didn't ask about this one, but I have the Kahr CW9 and it is super light (15oz) and slender (.9" at the end of the slide) with a 7rnd magazine. It's comfortable IWB or even slipped into a pocket of cargo pants, etc. I use a tuckable IWB holster and even in a dress shirt, you can't tell I'm carrying it. IMHO

Administrator
    Both are excellent choices, I have had both at one time or another. For your purpose, I'd go with the K9. The possibility of competing is what makes me go towards the K9.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree with the above post, if you plan to complete with it, go with the K9. The MK9 is very small and isn't something I can see competing with, depending upon what exactly you're competing at of course!

I went looking to buy a pm9 and ended up with a cw9 and couldn't be happier. I don't think that I have given up anything on concealability especially IWB. I'm sure it easier to shoot accurately because of the longer grip and sight radius. IMHO I wouldn't go smaller than K9, P9, CW9, K40.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Opinion

I own a MK9 and have shot the K9. The K9 is easier to shoot because of longer grip and slide/sight radius. The MK9 is easier to conceal because of its short grip. For competition I'd always go with the biggest handgun, all else being equal.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
    I know, I know, you didn't ask about this one, but I have the Kahr CW9 and it is super light (15oz) and slender (.9" at the end of the slide) with a 7rnd magazine. It's comfortable IWB or even slipped into a pocket of cargo pants, etc. I use a tuckable IWB holster and even in a dress shirt, you can't tell I'm carrying it. IMHO

Thanks for the thought. I should probably look at this one again, since it would save me a lot of moolah. I rented this one a couple months ago, and I liked it, but thought it was snappy. I also am not used to the feel of poly receivers, since I have a Sig P229...I like the solid, smooth feel of steel or alloy. There's always a time for firsts though. And the CW9 does fit my main goal of easy concealability.

One other thing I noticed in the Kahr poly grip was that they were kind of bumpy...lots of little knobby things on the finger area. Not real smooth on the hand. Has this been an issue for you when shooting longer range sessions with it? I know in an SD scenario, I wouldn't care about that as long as I could stop the threat.

One other thing I noticed in the Kahr poly grip was that they were kind of bumpy...lots of little knobby things on the finger area. Not real smooth on the hand. Has this been an issue for you when shooting longer range sessions with it?

I just slipped a little bit of bicycle tubing over mine and gone are the bumpy things.

I have a P9 and have put as many as 100 rounds in a range session w/o a problem. Actually, the grip is pretty comfortable to me. Wouldn't trade it for anything....although you never know.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    I think they're practically identical, except that the MK9 is smaller and holds one less cartridge. If I were going to have only one Kahr, it would be the MK9 2003 Elite with nightsights.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have the P9 and the MK9. For me the MK9 shoots better than my P9 due to muzzle flip on the P9. Despite one less finger on the MK9, the thickness w/wood grips and the checkering on the wood grips help me get as good if not a better over all grip than with my P9. The P9 checkering can be a bit rough for range time. I added and A grip to it and that helps a LOT.

If weight for carry is a BIG consideration, then the P9's/ CW9's have but for less perceived recoil, less muzzle flip, etc, the steel series take it hands down.

Although I've never fired a K9, it has the softer grip and I think it's the best grip I've ever felt on a gun. The MK has a hard plastic grip.

For a good balance the MK9 is hard to beat and it is more concealable. My P9 grip can print on my thinner suit coats but that doesn't happen with the MK9.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the K9 if that was the only one I could carry.

Surprisingly the K9, Springfield EMP, and the Colt New Agent .45 all weight within an ounce of each other (w/out ammo).

I also think that the all black version of the K9 with night sights and wood grips is about the best looking gun on the planet!

Tough call but I think one day I'll end up with a K9 but I won't get rid of my MK9.

Any pictures of this

I think I might like the K9 better at the range, but I'm leaning towards the MK9 simply because I put the most value on being able to make this thing disappear as much as possible.

Does anyone happen to have (or know where I can see) pictures of either of these models holstered up on their belt? It would be great to be able to visualize the actual size of these when carried iwb.

I've seen side by sides, and pictures of these in holsters alone. Just not finding anything that shows how the look on the belt.

I'm 6'0" and 170 lbs...so, I'm slender, but not super skinny. Any thoughts about how either of these might conceal iwb on my frame?

Thanks -- I've never carried concealed before, or even worn a holster, so any help I can get visually is a plus.

I carry the MK9 occassionally...it is my Sunday ankle gun until I get a different IWB for my P239 (and when I get home).

It is definitely not a 25 yd gun...but an up-close-and-personal defensive piece.

I practice(d) regularly with it...but after a while, had some tingling in my hand. Not a gun I like to shoot ALL of the time---but I can put rounds in the X when I need to.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'm amazed at how accurate my MK9 is, even with CorBon rounds which are never particularly accurate. Even at 25 yards, I have no problem hitting center mass or headshots every time. Never had a single malfunction and it carrys great in a Galco IWB holster. During the summer when I don't want to wear something over a holster, I just put the MK9 in my bluejeans pocket inside an Uncle Mikes $5 pocket holster. Hides extremely well and the only downside to me is the weight but I just take that in stride. Damned cute little sucker too.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Coltrane, I you can wait till this weekend, I'll try to take some pictures of my MK9 carried IWB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links