Question for Kahr MK9 owners about wood grips

This is a discussion on Question for Kahr MK9 owners about wood grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm about to pick up a nice, used MK9 on a trade with a buddy. From what I've read around the net this is a ...

Thread: Question for Kahr MK9 owners about wood grips

Question for Kahr MK9 owners about wood grips

I'm about to pick up a nice, used MK9 on a trade with a buddy. From what I've read around the net this is a great little gun. I was excited to see on the Kahr website that they offer some nice wood grips. From what I've read here they not only look great, but add a little width. Win, win. But then I noticed last night on the Kahr website that the grips do not fit models that begin with GA in the serial number. Of course the one I'm picking up begins with GA. I'm assuming this is an older model and obviously something was changed. My question is, does anyone know what was changed and can these wood grips be modified to work on the GA model MK9's?

It's not a deal breaker but I really do prefer wood grips and it doesn't seem like anyone else makes them for the Kahr. Just curious if anyone else has run into this issue with their Kahr or knows about it. Was there any functional issues with the older, GA numbered Kahrs that makes them a less desirable gun?

Thanks,

M

2. Remove Ads

Answered my own question

I did a general web search and found a thread on The Firing Line forum in which this question was posed. Apparently there was a frame modification done early on that changes the grip dimension enough so that the wood grips do not fit. There was some hope as someone in that thread said that they thought the wood grip issue only pertained to serial numbers that being with GA0 even though the website clearly states serial numbers GAXXXX. Another ray of hope in that the same guy said his MK9 had a serial number of GA18XX and his wood grips fit fine. But it's an old thread from 2002 and maybe they made a second change after that. Who knows.

Here is a link to that thread in case anyone wants to view:

https://www.thefiringline.com/forums...d.php?t=123432

I just got off the phone with Kahr's service department and the guy I talked to didn't know anything about the issue but put me on hold and came back saying "the woman who handles all these things said that the grips will not fit any guns that start with GA."

Bummer. So I guess that question is answered. But if anyone else has any first-hand knowledge of this issue please chime in.

Data point

I have Kahr wood grips for my MK9 and my serial number is GC3149. They fit fine. I hadn't heard about this issue before.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Pogo...How do you possibly carry and /or shoot all of those fine firearms?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Answer

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Pogo...How do you possibly carry and /or shoot all of those fine firearms?
    As for shooting, I go to the range every week or two, and will take 2 or 3 handguns each time. I rotate the ones I take so that eventually they all get shot. However I do have a few safe queens that are unfired and don't get shot at all.

As for carry, I have about 12 that are compact enough and in the right calibers for carry. I will rotate these also, so that over a period of years most will be carried. I go through stages where I like one thing for awhile, then will try something else. My favorites for carry are:

1. Kahr MK9
    2. Glock 23
    3. Sig P239
    4. Colt Defender
    5. S&W 66 snubby
    6. S&W 642 snubby
    7. Kimber Pro CDP
    8. H&K USP 40c
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

EW3
    I have a GAxxx MK9 and ordered a set of new plastic grip panels since the ones that came on my used MK9 were a little beat. The new ones arrived from Kahr and would not fit either.

I'm not sure if the wood ones can be modded, I looked at the interior of the new ones versus the old ones and they were quite different.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Hope you get it figured out. I have one but only GC in my SN. I have the wooden grips and really like them.

I do wish Kahr made grips for the MK that were as soft/grippy as the ones on their K9 series, then I could rotate and have the best of all worlds...

Love my MK9 and what a pleasure it is to shoot!

I have a GAxxx MK9 and ordered a set of new plastic grip panels since the ones that came on my used MK9 were a little beat. The new ones arrived from Kahr and would not fit either.
    EW3, I just bought GA11XX, then started researching grips. What were the first two digits in your serial #? Some people are saying it's only the GA0xxx the won't work....and I really like wood grips!!

Links