Defensive Carry banner

Ruger P345?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  John Wesley 
#1 ·
I did a search and found some good info on these guns,but I didn't find anything about the newer guns having feeding problems like the early models did. Do the current productions P345's have any issues to look out for? Also are these guns full size or are they doable as a carry gun? thanks for any info.

#2 ·
The Ruger 345 is my primary carry gun.

In my opinion:

Carries well for it's size - probably because it is fairly thin.
Good accuracy with manageable recoil. -Fits me perfectly.

However, I did a LOT of work on mine to get it right before I trusted it.

1. Removed mag disconnect (occasional click, no-bang)
2. Replaced recoil spring with much stronger one. (Stopped the occasional "slide stops before completely chambering round" issue.)
3. Did some "custom work" on rear sight to get it to POA.

I also installed a slightly weaker hammer spring and polished the sear/hammer. I got the trigger almost too light for a carry gun though.

I am not sure about the newer ones but I would not carry mine with the mag disconnect intact.

I know I spent some time on it to get it right but I have found nothing else to compare with it for my personal use.

#4 ·
Let me begin by saying I NEVER dry fired my P345 without a mag in. I also bought it new and it wa snot the display gun.

I had the gun for about two years and had problems with it not firing in double action. ABout every fith time I tried a double action trigger pull the hammer would drop but it wouldn't fire. No strike on the primer. Happened with four different types of ammo. I had about 900 rounds through the gun when it started.

Someone said Ruger had problems in the past with the timing in their pistols but I didn't chance it and traded it in at the gun store I bought it from. They said they hadn't heard of anything like that before (not that I would expect them to fess up if they had).

I am not Ruger bashing, just giving you my experience. I am not one to ever trust a pistol again if I have too many problems with no good explanation and would rather just get rid of it and get something different.

If you are looking for a cheaper single stack .45 like the Ruger P345, consider the Rock Island Armory 1911 or the Taurus (1911s and 24/7 series).

#6 ·
I don't have any problems carrying it - particularly this time of year. My Beretta 92 which is only slightly larger seems to be JUST a bit too large to carry though. I guess the Ruger is at my upper limit of what I can carry.

I mainly use a COP 3-slot holster from Galco or an IWB holster - FWIW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.