How reliable is your S&W M&P 45c?

This is a discussion on How reliable is your S&W M&P 45c? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm leaning towards one of these when my tax return comes in and am wondering how reliable these guns are? I held one last week ...

Thread: How reliable is your S&W M&P 45c?

I'm leaning towards one of these when my tax return comes in and am wondering how reliable these guns are? I held one last week and really liked it,fit my hand a million times better than the Glock 36 I was considering. Would you say the M&P 45c is on par with the Glock as far reliability goes? I know the smith M&P .45 compacts haven't been out as long but whats their track record so far?

I switched my primary carry from a Glock 36 to a M&P 45c. It too fit me like a glove! This gun is far superior in comfort to the Glocks that I have had and shot. This is just my opinion, fits ME best. The mag release is great, slide release takes WAY less effort that many of the Glocks I have used (the G36 was horribly difficult for me to release the slide without pulling it back, this was a fittmant issue as well as the release is just not as ergonomic).

As far as reliability... I think that they are on par with each other. Both of them have stellar reputations. This should not be suprising given that 2 ex-Glock engineers helped to design the M&P line!

I am a fan of the M&P NOT because they are MORE reliable than a Glock but because they are more refined in my opinion. They also are blued stainless which should give them as good or better longevety as the Glock or others.

Throw in Smith and Wessons INCREDIBLE track record, warranty and many industry first and I think we have a winner!

Made in the USA!!!!
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Actually...my instructor in my Glock armorer class, said you should not use the slide release to release the slide on a Glock. It was more of a slide lock. He said that it would be better to release it by hand. Something about possible damage to the extractor or some other internal. Dont remember which one...the class was like 7 years ago.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have had my M&P45c for about five months now. I have put over 2,000 rounds without a single problem! It has become my EDC gun and at times I have also had with me on duty. I love this gun.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Actually...my instructor in my Glock armorer class, said you should not use the slide release to release the slide on a Glock. It was more of a slide lock. He said that it would be better to release it by hand. Something about possible damage to the extractor or some other internal. Dont remember which one...the class was like 7 years ago.
    That is rediculous in my opinion! I would not own such a gun. What is the difference between that and pulling the slide back and letting go? Seems like it would be equal force on the extractor ect...

I had a GLOCK G36 and traded it for a M&P9C and
    they are both good guns.
    The only reason I traded the G36 was that I shoot 9MMs
    better, the G36 is a good gun.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I have a Glock 36 that is one of my department authorized carry guns. I don't have a M&P45c, but I have the full-size M&P45. Both have been totally reliable. I have looked at the M&P45c, and it looks to be as well made as the full-size, I'm sure its equally reliable. I'd probably get one instead of the G36, but the difference isn't enough to me to trade the G36 for the 45c.

With regard to the Glock slide stop, I never use the slide stop lever to release the slide on any of my pistols, I always use the slingshot method. It works regardless of the design of the slide stop, and since I shoot several different pistols, its one less thing I have to do differently with each one.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    With regard to the Glock slide stop, I never use the slide stop lever to release the slide on any of my pistols, I always use the slingshot method. It works regardless of the design of the slide stop, and since I shoot several different pistols, its one less thing I have to do differently with each one.
    That sounds like a good practice to be in. For fastest mag changes I use the mag release. I actually had to take my gun out and think for a moment on how I load initially...yup, I actually pull the slide back and when I do mag changes I keep my thumb on the mag release and when I slam the mag home the slide comes forward automatically.

Sounds to me like you should pick up a 45c now. Swapping between uppers and lowers gives you some different combinations (like the midsize 45 that S&W advertise but you can't buy.)

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    That sounds like a good practice to be in. For fastest mag changes I use the mag release. I actually had to take my gun out and think for a moment on how I load initially...yup, I actually pull the slide back and when I do mag changes I keep my thumb on the mag release and when I slam the mag home the slide comes forward automatically.

Sounds to me like you should pick up a 45c now. Swapping between uppers and lowers gives you some different combinations (like the midsize 45 that S&W advertise but you can't buy.)
    I will probably get a 45c eventually. I have been on a revolver buying spree lately. Once I get all the revolvers I am interested in, I'll look into the 45c again.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    He was probably referring to the practice of dropping the slide on an empty chamber. That's what breaks extractors. When the chamber is empty you should ALWAYS ease the slide closed by hand.

There is also the view I've heard that using the slide release will wear it out (not sure if they mean the notch in the slide or the release lever itself). I don't take it too seriously, but there are some who do.

Also, many teach that that the slingshot method of releasing the slide is superior because (1) as another poster stated, it works with almost all guns. And (2) if you have a jam, you'll likely be able to clear it by racking the slide a couple of times. If you instinctively use the slingshot method every time the slide locks back (or gets stuck partway back), then you'll be in far better position to clear jams quickly when they occur. Of course, this is not an issue with Glocks since they never jam

He was probably referring to the practice of dropping the slide on an empty chamber. That's what breaks extractors. When the chamber is empty you should ALWAYS ease the slide closed by hand.
    Thats not true what is hard on extractors is handloading a round into the chamber then dropping the slide forcing the xtractor over the case instead of sliding the case under the xtractor when its stripped from a magazine
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Thats not true what is hard on extractors is handloading a round into the chamber then dropping the slide forcing the xtractor over the case instead of sliding the case under the xtractor when its stripped from a magazine
    You're right - that's what I was thinking of. But dropping the slide on an empty chamber is bad too.

M&P45C

I have multiple Glocks, including a G30. The G30 is bullet proof and amazingly accurate. Bought a M&P45C, with safety lever, as it was a bit slimmer and felt more comfortable for CC. The gun has been flawless thru 800+ rounds of varied ammo, low recoil, and quite accurate. I carry it now instead of the Glock. Only negative is the trigger is not as good, a little "hard". And you are giving up 2 rounds on the G30. I would go for M&P for CC, but with the Glock for home defense (as it has two more rounds). Either weapon is excellent.
    Good Luck.

Links