Carry 9mm +P ammo in a Kahr PM9?

This is a discussion on Carry 9mm +P ammo in a Kahr PM9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just realized that the CorBon DPX bullets I carry in my Kahr PM9 are +P rated.....that's not an issue with my PM9 right? Most ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry 9mm +P ammo in a Kahr PM9?

Carry 9mm +P ammo in a Kahr PM9?

I just realized that the CorBon DPX bullets I carry in my Kahr PM9 are +P rated.....that's not an issue with my PM9 right? Most things that I have read say its just better not to practice with +P..... Are revolvers the only pistols that have to be rated to shoot +P and non +P ammunition?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

You should be good to go using +P for defensive purposes. I wouldn't recommend regularly feeding it a diet of the stuff though.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I don't believe that you are outside the disign of the gun. I KNOW that my M&P 9L is +P rated as well as other guns that I have had. My dads PM9 is +p rated if I remember right. Just be sure to get the right ammo for the barrel length (short barrel rating I believe)
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I have a PM-9 also and while I believe it to be a very well made firearm, I can find nothing at Kahr's web site, in the spec sheets or in the owner's manual that says the pistol is +P rated. I rarely use +P ammunition in anything as I've always felt that if the standard pressure cartridge in a given caliber wasn't enough, I needed to change to a different caliber. Using Federal Premium Tactical HST as an example, the +P 9mm only gives 50 fps more velocity and 32 ft.lbs. more energy than the standard pressure cartridge. Not enough to make the +P worth the hassle, IMO.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    You should be good to go using +P for defensive purposes. I wouldn't recommend regularly feeding it a diet of the stuff though.
    +1
    Yeah, what he said
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

You wouldnt practice with good +p HPs anyway. Just use it as your defensive load and you should be okay.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I have a PM-9 also and while I believe it to be a very well made firearm, I can find nothing at Kahr's web site, in the spec sheets or in the owner's manual that says the pistol is +P rated. I rarely use +P ammunition in anything as I've always felt that if the standard pressure cartridge in a given caliber wasn't enough, I needed to change to a different caliber. Using Federal Premium Tactical HST as an example, the +P 9mm only gives 50 fps more velocity and 32 ft.lbs. more energy than the standard pressure cartridge. Not enough to make the +P worth the hassle, IMO.

Hoss
    +1

The PM9 is rated for +P (per Kahr's web site ... I believe in the FAQ section), but not +P+. I shoot a mag or two of it every time I go to the range (then another few mags of generic 9mm). Having said that, the Federal HST in 147gr is highly thought of for the PM9. I often go back and forth between that and the 124gr HST +P for EDC.

Update -- Here's from the Kahr website:

Q. Which ammunition is recommended for use with Kahr firearms?

A. Kahr Arms does not endorse any particular brand of ammunition. However, not every brand of ammunition produces the same results. Please check the markings on the barrel hood of your firearm to determine the proper caliber. Kahr suggests a visit to a pistol range to test fire different brands of ammunition in the proper caliber. Kahr cautions against the use of reloads. Lead (unjacketed) bullets can cause excessive fouling and extra attention to cleaning the bore is recommended after firing lead bullets. The Kahr pistol is rated to +P.

Thanks alnitak. I had dug all over their site and couldn't find it.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

IMHO... I think 147gr HST would be more effective than 124gr +P. I go with the "Heavier is better" school of thought. That cuts down on the wear and tear. All of the "Good Stuff" though is too expensive to practice with. Always shoot a couple of mags to make sure they still work but do the bulk of your practice with average stuff. (I also don't like to shoot the really cheap stuff as I don't want problems with the cheap ammo to cause me to doubt the reliability of my gun.)

I don't think heavier is better. Lighter usually equals faster bullet which equals greater expansion due to higher foot pounds of energy transfer.

[QUOTE=alnitak;993451]The PM9 is rated for +P , but not +P+./[QUOTE]

Just FYI - there really is no such thing as +P+. The +P designation is a SAAMI standard and therefore all ammo rated as +P adheres to the same pressure limitations. SAAMI has no published standards for +P+. This is usually just a designation applied by the ammo manufacturer or seller to indicate a round hotter than +P. There are no real standards, so you have no idea what kind of pressure is generated with a given round - DANGEROUS! The +P+ was most often seen on 9 mm ammunition that was intended for use in sub-machine guns, or was custom loaded for specific needs (LE, Military) for specific weapons, and was much hotter than anything offered in the general market. Just be aware what you're feeding your guns. HTH.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

one of the problems with 147gr. is it sometimes has expansion problems, especially through clothing/barriers and out of short barrels such as the kar.

I shoot +P in my primarily. I probably have 2K +P rounds through my first PM9 and another 4K regular ammo.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by stoprilshoot View Post
    one of the problems with 147gr. is it sometimes has expansion problems, especially through clothing/barriers and out of short barrels such as the kar.

Agreed, such a short barreled gun doesn't produce good velocity with a 147. I use speer gold dot short barrel 124gr in my PM9.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links