Wilson Combat..?

This is a discussion on Wilson Combat..? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after looking at the 2009 catalog and pricing There is no doubt the Tactical Supergrade Compact is one of the best looking( and performing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat..?

Wilson Combat..?

Well, after looking at the 2009 catalog and pricing
    There is no doubt the Tactical Supergrade Compact is one of the best looking( and performing im sure) guns I've seen but, what justifies $4350.
    I know you can't put a price on whatever tool you use working when it's needed but is this a status piece or are they that much better?
    I know there a few WC owners on here and was just wondering... are they worth it?
    I'm pretty new to the 1911(in love), I got my first one less then a year ago. It's a Kimber series 1 ss compact that was done by Clark Custom( close to $2000 range) So it's not an entry level 1911. I've only put about 600 rounds through it without a problem.
    For some reason I find myself looking at this gun 3 times a day I just can't get it off my mind.
    How many are in the market for a WC?
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_tactic...de_compact.asp
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Wilson makes some really nice stuff, but IMO, a good portion of the price is paying for the right to have Wilson stamped on the side of your gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I think Sixto pretty much nailed it on the head.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think the price is more indicative of the labor cost in making the gun rather than the quality of the gun itself. I'm sure a competent gunsmith could build something just as good from a bare bones 1911 for 1/3 the cost.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Love my CQB. Probably performs just as well as the upper grades by them though. For the extra money, you get a few more features, more attention to detail and probably even better fitting.

The CQB is their best seller, and it is a totally reliable full featured gun. To go beyond it is really entering the realm of full custom IMHO. Nothing wrong with them at all, just way more "bang for the buck" (excuse the punn!) with the basic CQB.

If I had the money, I'd buy more from WC. But they'd probably be variants on the CQB concept (either a compact or a Professional or both).

And they are available new just a bit over the $2000 dollar mark. But if you want a Supergrade, go for it! Let your wallet be your guide.

Last edited by T Bone; January 22nd, 2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Add pic
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I mean come on....Does anybody REALLY need a 4000 buck 1911?!?! I am not an expert on them by any means...but there are thousands of 1911s that have been in trenches and battlefields all over the world and protected our loved ones for years.....and I can guarand*mntee the US Govt didnt pay 4 grand for them.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    and I can guarand*mntee the US Govt didnt pay 4 grand for them.
    I dont know about that- Have you seen some of those articles about what Uncle Sugar pays for stuff?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Go buy a TRP for $1600 and be done with it.
    -Biker

Well that may be true...but most of the 1911s that were retired were almost original 1911 models They were being kept running with parts and pieces from other guns. I doubt very seriiously they paid an equivalent of 4Gs.. I also think that a 600-1000 dollar 1911 will do anything a 4000 dollar one will do...just as well.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    If I had the money, I'd own a Wilson.

jwhite...you'd be surprised how much the government will spend on things...but its always overpriced with govt contracts. The oldschool bench style troop seats in our helicopters was a couple aluminum tubes with cloth stretched over them, and they were $10,000 each! Of course, since it's overpaid, they definitely wouldn't have been $4k 1911's on the civilian market, so I know what you're getting at.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    Go buy a TRP for $1600 and be done with it.
    While I respect your right to your opinion, I disagree totally. The basic Wilson Combat models are FAR superior to the TRP, and cost only about 30 to 50% more. If I were getting into the $1500 or more range, I'd not even consider the lower tier brands (Springfield, Kimber, even Colt). One exception is the Springfield Pro (the FBI model) but these are 2K plus guns.

Btw, not a hater at all. This is coming from the owner of two SA Loaded pistols. Like them just fine. But they each cost me about half what a TRP costs.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

JD
    Administrator
    It's more of a status thing (not an Oh look what I have type of way, but rather a status of personal fulfillment), people that are into 1911s and what something "made by hand" to their liking will pay the money if they have it and that's what they want.

I paid $1750 for Lima's Wilson

It was sold as being used, but I doubt it saw two mags worth of ammo.

Under 2K it was well worth it.

I've had over a dozen 1911s from the $300-$2K price range and I'd say that if you can find a good deal on a Wilson, take it.

Regarding can it do anything "better" than another lower costing 1911, yes and no, it will definitely empty the pocket book faster, but there are reports that even some Wilsons don't run right and need to go back for work.

So functionally, no the Wilson won't do anything that a mid/hi tier 1911 can't do.

I've had Colts, Kimbers, a gaggle of Paras, a Les Baer etc. and while the Wilson is much nicer in fit and finish than all of the above (My Baer was bought used and has seen some miles) it doesn't run any better than my $450 Springfield.

If you appreciate the work, fit, finish, and the overall quality and you have the money it is worth it, but there are other less costly options that will deliver the same functional results.

Some other alternatives would be a Springfield TRP, Springfield Custom, a Fusion 1911, some offerings from STI, and yes, even a good Les Baer can be found for under $2K.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I'm sorry, but it still blows my mind that people will spend two months of mortgage payments on a single pistol that might get 2-3% more performance than what you'd get from a RIA Tactical for about $500 retail. With about the best CC in the business. And a rock-solid warranty.

I'm glad that y'all get a kick out your gucci go-fasters, though.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    I'm sorry, but it still blows my mind that people will spend two months of mortgage payments on a single pistol that might get 2-3% more performance than what you'd get from a RIA Tactical for about $500 retail. With about the best CC in the business. And a rock-solid warranty.

I'm glad that y'all get a kick out your gucci go-fasters, though.
    I like, and can afford nice guns, sue me.

Sure if I could only have one it wouldn't be anything fancy, but thankfully I don't have to worry about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links