M&P .40 question

This is a discussion on M&P .40 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I read the Sticky titled What Do You Carry. I'm thinking about getting an M&P.40 as my primary, but am a little courious about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P .40 question

M&P .40 question

So, I read the Sticky titled What Do You Carry.

I'm thinking about getting an M&P.40 as my primary, but am a little courious about why that pistol doesn't show up much in that long, long thread.

Is there something about the M&P.40 that you folks know about that makes it not such a good choice?

I'm a big enough guy that the size really won't matter, I think. When I have my Ruger P90 on OWB under an untucked shirt nobody ever notices that. So I think the M&P should be ok too. Plus, I plan to get an IWB holster for the M&P.

Any comments?

2. Remove Ads

I trust my life to the one I carry.
    My wife carries the .40C version.

It all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

I carry and M&P compact 40. I have never seen the FS 40, so I can not comment on that, but the compact is a great piece as far as I am concerned.

Nice to handle, easy to fire. Fits in the hand just great. Now this is for me. Try one out, if you want the FS 40 go for it . I have not had one problem. Besides, if there is a problem, Smith will make it good.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found raped and dead in an alley, strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker took two to the chest.

I highly recommend the M&P40c it's my EDC and it's sitting comfortably in a MTAC holster right now at 4 o'clock. Go try one out at the range, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I highly trust any of my M&Ps. My EDC is a 45c (although I am carrying the FS 45 right now!)

Great guns, I have yet to have a single issue. If you are considering a 40 and say that size is really not a big issue...then why not a .45? Pretty hard to argue that a .40 is a better deffense caliber. The only good thing is the capacity (which you need less with a larger caliber).

I am not trying to get into what caliber is best, just trying to offer an option.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I have 6 M&Ps 3 FS 9s and M&P Pro along with a 9c and FS .40. We shoot them often and really like them.

Go to this link to read more about the M&Ps: The #1 Compact, Full Size, and Modified M&P Pistol Source :: MP-Pistol.com
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

The M&P line has only been out a couple years IIRC,but A federal agency I believe the DEA just gave it a pass so they're agents can now carry it.Im considering a 40 0r 45 MP compact to replace my 1911
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think the M&P .40 has only been out a couple years. I'm guessing that's why it isn't more prevalent at the moment. Obviously it's popular at the M&P forum: The #1 Compact, Full Size, and Modified M&P Pistol Source :: MP-Pistol.com

I held the full size and the compact today. If I didn't have a huge car repair bill from last month, I'd own one of them already. I'll probably own both at some point. Already ordered extra mags for the fullsize. I'd suggest you do the same if you do purchase the gun. Of course, the fullsize mags fit the compact also. They just stick out a bit at the bottom.

There are several models depending on mag release safety, integral lock safety, night sights, etc., so it helps to be aware of all the options before you shop. The smith&wesson site gives a good list of the options. Here are 10 options for the fullsize .40: Product: Smith & Wesson M&P .40 And this isn't even all: S&W also makes a thumb-safety version.

I've read lots of good things about the M&P. I would search for a later serial number, though, due to some early mag-drop issues. Just from some notes of mine, I'd search for serial numbers starting with MRXXXX. That's not official, just some info I gleaned from the M&P site.

I recommend ordering high-cap mags once you decide to buy the gun, even if you don't purchase the gun right away. CDNN has 15-round .40 mags in stock (as of 2 days ago) for $30 each. That may sound real cheap in a year or two, assuming they are still legal to purchase.

Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I have had my M&P .40c for two years and really like it. Easy to carry OWB in a paddle holster and shoots good. It always goes bang and hits where its aimed.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I have the compact version, and I absolutely love it. I was sold by it's ease of left-handed use and the incredible ergonomics provided by the different back straps. The trigger pull is fantastic for being double-action(ish) only, and the travel to the bang point isn't as long as the XD-40, which I've also fired. I really can't think of anything I don't like about it.

I have a M&P .40 that I carry everytime I can.

I own two M&P45s. I couldn't be happier with them, I carry one at the PD I work for part-time and use the other for IDPA. The agency I worked for before the full-time agency I work for now issues the M&P40. It is reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot well.

I have no love at all for the .40S&W (OK, I hate it), but of the .40S&W pistols I have shot (and I have shot a lot of them, I really wanted to like the .40S&W), I think the M&P was the best. I'm issued a .40S&W at my full-time PD (I just can't seem to find anyone to issue me a .45ACP), but I don't own a single handgun chambered for it.

If the .40 is for you, then go with the M&P. FWIW, the M&P is also great in 9x19 and .45ACP, I haven't tried the 357 SIG version.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    If you are considering a 40 and say that size is really not a big issue...then why not a .45?
    It's a capacity thing for me. I've studied the effect of 40 vs 45 on that balistic gell stuff and it doesn't look like there is much difference between the two. So I figure having an extra bunch of rounds in the mag can't hurt. Especially if someone is shooting back!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I have a full size .40 M&P mostly for my duty pistol and about half the time for my CCW. My other one is the S&W CS45.

The M&P is a great shooter. I have the Crimson Trace grips and Trijicon night sights also.
    For God, Family and Country!

A great good choice.

I carry a 40c as a primary gun and it is darn reliable. I'm planning on picking up a full size.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links