Small gun question...didn't wanna hijack a thread.

This is a discussion on Small gun question...didn't wanna hijack a thread. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wanting an inexpensive small single stack "hideout gun" for a while. Preferrably a 9mm. I saw the Kel-tec picture thread and the PF-9. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small gun question...didn't wanna hijack a thread.

Small gun question...didn't wanna hijack a thread.

I've been wanting an inexpensive small single stack "hideout gun" for a while. Preferrably a 9mm. I saw the Kel-tec picture thread and the PF-9. I have been looking to this gun for a while now...and am kind of wanting one. It's a tossup between a PM9 Kahr and this gun. I have some questions/isues to address.

* As far as I know, this gun has no options for night sights.
    *Is it it +p rated?
    *What is the break-in period?

I know the Kahr is +p rated and can have night sights and fit and finish is a little better, but it is also a little more expensive.

Who here has an opinion one way or the other?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    The Kahr is not a inexpensive gun. Although, you can find them used cheap from time to time from people who didn't know how to run them.

The PF-9 is a neat little gun, but no where near as nice as the PM9 in all respects. The price reflects this as well. KelTec says that +P ammo can be used in the PF-9, but use it sparingly. Keltec does not hide the fact that their guns are made to be shot little and carried a lot. I am a huge KelTec fan for this very reason.
    I dont know of any offical break in period with the KelTec, but as always, run a few hundred rounds through the gun before you put it in your rotation.
    I also don't know if anybody is making night sights for this gun, but I don't see why not. The front sight is pinned in, and the rear is dovetailed. Your google-fu might answer that question better.

If you want a inexpensive 9mm hideout gun, I'd buy the PF-9. If you want a much nicer gun and are willing to toss out the inexpensive criteria, the PM9 is the gun to have.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    That pretty much covers it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yeah I kind of expect that. You seem to be a Kahr fan. Know anywhere to look and watch for particularly good deals on them? I've trusted your opinion ever since I bought my p228, and fell in love.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

JD
    Administrator
    I know of a Kahr P9 LNIB w/ 2 mags (black slide, standard sights) which is about the size of the PF9 for $375 in VA, even with shipping and transfer you could make out pretty good.

If your interested in it, I'll send you the shop info where it's at...if I don't buy it first.

Administrator
    Yeah, I'm a Kahr fan too. Watch gunbroker and your local used case as well as the for sale ads here. There are those who don't follow directions and think their PM9 doesnt work, so they unload it cheap. You just have to keep your eyes open.

If you just want a true hideout gun, I wouldnt shy away from the PF9. It isnt exactly a high quality piece, but it does work as advertised. KelTec makes a decent pistol for a bargain price. I've had a P32 for ten years or so, and carried daily for almost the entire ten years. I've just recently stopped carrying it do to new department policy.

It quickly became a favorite of mine. A show peice it isnt, but its a great little pocket friend. I've been thinking about adding a PF9 to my collection for a while now, I just cant justify it because I do have a PM9 to fill that role.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well I have been sort of talking myself into a pf-9 I probably should just wait and get more with a PM9. I know I'll be happier in the long run...with the money spent.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Well I have been sort of talking myself into a pf-9 I probably should just wait and get more with a PM9. I know I'll be happier in the long run...with the money spent.
    Don't talk yourself into buying any gun. If there is no urgent reason for the purchase, save your money and buy want you really want the first time.
    You save no money when you have to make the same purchase twice.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I definitely want night sights. I know they aren't a necessity but I am so used to them on all of my other guns that they are just something I want on all my SD guns.

Thanks for the good advice. It helps to talk to others. and there aren't any gun shops around that rent guns to try and very few that actually stock quality SD guns. See a lot of Hi-points and the like but no Kahr, GLock, Sig, Etc.

I admit, I'm biased as I own a PM9. But, IMHO, save up your money and get the Kahr.

I have a PM9 with DLC and night sights, and it's a very good set-up. The Kahr has better fit and finish than the PF-9, is more accurate, has a better sight picture, doesn't require a 'fluff & buff', is actually smaller, has just as good customer service, and is rated for +P. True, it's a couple hundred dollars more, but what's money when you life is at stake. You can pick up a barely used Kahr PM9 for $350-$450, so it isn't really that much more than the Kel-Tec (there was just one here a couple of weeks ago for $350 in VA; almost picked up my second one at that price).

the only downside to the PF9 is the recoil. my brother owns one, and i've shot it quite a bit; well, as much as i can before it hurts. it's very accurate and reliable. i do believe they now have an option for night sights.

i can't speak about Kahr, but i've heard nothing but good things about them. i don't think you can go wrong with either gun.

There's really not much to add past Sixto's post, but I'll chime in simply because I have both guns, PF-9 & PM-9. Unless you have a specific reason (immediate need, lack of funds, etc.), find yourself a PM-9. Much better firearm IMO. At the time I bought the PF-9, my PM-9 was my EDC and we were planning a vacation that was going to take us into Yellowstone Park. Though I followed the rules and broke down my pistol each day before entering the park, I figured that if I ran into an over zealous ranger, I'd rather he confiscate a $333.00 (msrp) gun than a $958.00 (msrp) gun. Got there and back just fine so now I have both and the PF-9 still makes a good choice for something to carry when I'm doing physical work where my gun is being subjected to abuse but if I were forced to get rid of one, it wouldn't be the Kahr.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I also own a Kahr PM9 and find it to be a great little gun. I do not own a PF-9 but have thought about getting one recently for a hideout gun as well - it's a lot cheaper in price than the Kahr and wouldn't worry about it as much if something bad happened to it.

As for opinions about which you should get...the PF-9 was one of the guns up for consideration before I bought my PM9.

Not sure if this question is a hijack, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity to get a little more info about the PF-9 from someone who owns a PM9:

cvhoss, since you own both guns, how would you compare the difference in felt recoil between them?
    Last edited by artificialgrey; January 23rd, 2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added opinion
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by artificialgrey View Post
    ............cvhoss, since you own both guns, how would you compare the difference in felt recoil between them?
    I'm probably a horrible person to ask that question as I'm not very recoil sensitive at all. The PF-9 should have a bit more felt recoil just because it's 1.3 oz. lighter than the PM-9 but in all honesty, I really couldn't tell a difference worth mentioning. Unless you have severe arthritis or such, I don't think you'll notice much difference and if there is, I can't feel it. The guns feel a bit different from each other in my hand, but both point well and recoil is more than manageable. While the PF-9 is accurate enough, the PM-9 is exceptionally accurate even when compared to pistols with longer barrels and longer sight radius. If you get a PF-9, make sure and test with carry ammo. Mine never had a failure with anything it would feed but absolutely refuses to feed Golden Saber ammo from either of two mags I have.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links