Question for you Glockers?

This is a discussion on Question for you Glockers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; THe front sight. Its not a dovetail from what I can see. How does it install? My main question is: will the front site become ...

Thread: Question for you Glockers?

Question for you Glockers?

THe front sight. Its not a dovetail from what I can see. How does it install? My main question is: will the front site become loose after awhile? The reason I ask is that my first semiauto I bought 8 years ago (sigma) didnt have a dovetail type fron site, and not thinking, I shoved it down into a holster that was not a perfect fit and it loosened up the front site. It has to be tweaked from time to time.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

2. Remove Ads

Glock

The stock front sight is staked in with a bit of adhesive. The abundant aftermarket sights are held in with a small screw. The sights are extremely easy to change and resistant to damage or loosening.

I've had one of my Glocks for ten years now in and out of a Kydex Sidearmour holster and a generic one made for compact autopistols and never had a problem with the sights.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I had the front post on my Glock 17 come off a couple years ago. I don't know when or where it happened but I'm glad I found it on the range and not at work.

Administrator
    The stock Glock sights are the weak link ( if you can call it that) in the Glocks system. Even though it is the weak link, they still are fairly robust and it takes a decent amount of use and abuse to get them to "fall off"... but it has happened as chronicled in the previous post.
    Good news is, the situation is easily fixed with a set of aftermarket sights.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Punch the stock part out and put in some steel. If it sits in the night table or the safe, or even in your holster, you may never have a problem.

If you use the gun, however, the OEM sights will eject(front) and deform/shear(rear). XS is prime, but there are quite a few options.

Dittos to all of the above. In addition, the rear sight ain't no great shakes either. I watched a guy rip his off while doing a one hand malfunction drill (he used the holster to rack it--riiiiiiiip!). Luckily, they're....$1.95 or something (cheap). I replace mine right out of the box and I had my parts kit with me, so he barely missed a beat.

I prefer the Warren sights to be honest. Nothing fancy, but by God, mine didn't rip off when I racked it on the holster. :)

Ps--To remove the front sight (factory) it has a split tang with a tiny little pin spreading it apart. Pull that pin and it virtually falls out--fingernail clippers work pretty well.

Alternately, you can give it a light tap with a small punch with that little pin still in place and the front sight will pop right out. It will NOT be reusable after you do this.

Dan
    Last edited by JD; January 23rd, 2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Merged posts
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The stock Glock sights are the weak link ( if you can call it that) in the Glocks system. Even though it is the weak link, they still are fairly robust and it takes a decent amount of use and abuse to get them to "fall off"... but it has happened as chronicled in the previous post.
    Good news is, the situation is easily fixed with a set of aftermarket sights.
    The factory front sight on the Glocks is plastic and pressed in. The underside or bottom is like a plastic wall anchor and flares out under the slide. I shoot my Glocks a lot, but most of mine never saw more than 1000 rounds fired through them before I got aftermarket night sights for them. I've never had one come off though, and if anyone needs a stock Glock replacement front sight, I have a couple sets, and I'd send you one free of charge. But of course I figure Glock would probably do the same thing for you if you called them. In my experience, I do okay with the stock Glock sights, but even better with the aftermarket night sights as they are taller and wider and exhibit a better profile altogether. A good set of Meprolights shouldn't run you more than about $75+tax installed if your local shop keeps them in stock. Trijicons will be a bit higher installed at an average of around $90+tax in my experience. Best bargain is to order a new Glock with factory night sights already installed actually. I figure that adds only about $50 to the total price NIB.

never had one work loose on a normal treated carry gun. the front sight is somewhat press in. the under side (inside the frame) you can see a "v" of the front sight. inside this "v" is a small plastic pin. remove this pin and the front sight will push out. real easy to remove. after market front sights screw on,, a small bolt screws into the front sight bottom. this bolt replaces the plastic pin system. in 1990 i had a front sight come off a glock 17 during training in Quantico while i was on the range. but we were beating up the guns real good,,more than what you would do to your gun. took off the slide off and dropped in a new front sight in less than 2 mintues,, then back to the firing line. but i know you don't beat up your gun like we were that week.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Links