Need gun selection advise please. - Page 2

Need gun selection advise please.

This is a discussion on Need gun selection advise please. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sympathize with your dilemma, it's always tough to "let one go." Since you still have the Springfield it should make the decision easier. My only ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need gun selection advise please.

Sympathize with your dilemma, it's always tough to "let one go." Since you still have the Springfield it should make the decision easier. My only question is carrying iwb, how's the safety rubbing your side? Does your holster lack a body shield? I love the 1911 but if I'm carrying that platform I want a body shield on my holster that engages the thumb safety in the "ON" position.

As much as we 1911 fans rag on "combat tupperware" it's mostly good natured ribbing. They're fine weapons to be sure and from my POV still have the advantage of consistent trigger pull from first shot to last.

Is there any particular reason you'd rather trade the Kimber and keep the SA instead of the other way around? Just curious really, which trade would be a better deal on your part? Overall I'd say go ahead and trade for the Glock (if you know the G19 suits your taste).
    Jack

The H & K USP Compact 9mm is an excellent choice as mentioned by Glock21Guy. I have it in .40. What you might like about it is that the H & K USP models all have the 1911 grip and if you enjoy your 1911, it will feel no different in your hand. In 9mm carry, I use the Taurus PT111 Millenium and my wife uses the Millenium Pro.

Lead Moderator
    You might find going to a doulbe stack pistol , the thickness is a bit larger. Especially for IWB. HK makes excellent weapons, but nothing wrong with a Glock either.
    Personally, I don't trust or like the Taurus PT's. I owned 1, and found the trigger to be too long and gritty for me. Also a Kb. problem with mine didn't boost my confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Sympathize with your dilemma, it's always tough to "let one go." Since you still have the Springfield it should make the decision easier. My only question is carrying iwb, how's the safety rubbing your side? Does your holster lack a body shield? I love the 1911 but if I'm carrying that platform I want a body shield on my holster that engages the thumb safety in the "ON" position.

As much as we 1911 fans rag on "combat tupperware" it's mostly good natured ribbing. They're fine weapons to be sure and from my POV still have the advantage of consistent trigger pull from first shot to last.

Is there any particular reason you'd rather trade the Kimber and keep the SA instead of the other way around? Just curious really, which trade would be a better deal on your part? Overall I'd say go ahead and trade for the Glock (if you know the G19 suits your taste).
    Jack
    Yes the holster has a body shield. Although it's not very large, it does cover the thumb safety. I have yet to find a holster that has a body shield large enough to cover a beavertail grip safety.

The reason for keeping the Springfield is that it was my first 1911. It's the gun that gave me my love for that platform. It's a full sized gun that has had lots of work done to it. The Kimber is a bone stock 3" model.

I have thought about having a non beavertail grip safety put on the kimber. That would solve some of the problem, but it just wouldn't look right. While that would solve one problem, it doesn't solve the cost of ammo, which is why the change to 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian45
    Unless you really want to get away from the .45 maybe you just need a quality holster with a good fat guard.
    I'd be more than happy to take suggestions for a "quality holster with a good fat guard". I have search and searched and come up dry. What I am looking for is a fat guard that covers a beavertail grip safety. It just doesn't seem to exist.

Most of the quality holster makers will listen to requests and try to accommodate most anyone, but at a cost and what kind of wait. Some of the quality guys have wait time of a year or more on thier standard models.

Quote Originally Posted by dws1117
    I'd be more than happy to take suggestions for a "quality holster with a good fat guard". I have search and searched and come up dry. What I am looking for is a fat guard that covers a beavertail grip safety. It just doesn't seem to exist.
    How 'bout the old Army issue flap holster? Sorry, had to ... but that would definitely cover the grip safety. I agree with keeping the SA too, wish I still had my first 1911.

Most of the quality holster makers will listen to requests and try to accommodate most anyone, but at a cost and what kind of wait. Some of the quality guys have wait time of a year or more on thier standard models.
    Have you spoken with the guys here on the Forum? Kevin, Eric and such? They seem to be receptive to custom requests. As far as the cheaper practice ammo, how about a Cenier .22 conversion kit? I know it's not the same as practicing with carry ammo but at least you'd be plinking with your carry piece (maybe an idea for the SA?).
    Jack

I guess I'll chime in with my two cents even though you've already had a plethora of great advice. I own a SA XD 9mm (full size) and it is a great shooter. My Stepfather has a Glock 19 and he loves it. It was the first gun I ever fired. Though it was a little small in the grip for my taste, it is the most comfortable compact I've ever held. It is extremely light (even with the hi-cap clip) and with fairly slim profile it will conceal very comfortably. I've no experience with Kahr or the Walther series so I'll just have to say that if the G19 feels comfortable in your hands (and your waist) it won't let you down. Carrying 15+1 without an extended clip on a compact isn't too shabby either. On the Springfield side of things, they do make a sub-compact 9mm but it is a bit smaller in the grip than the G19 (of course) and can't carry 15 rounds without an extended clip. IMHO the three qualifications for a gun are comfort, accuracy, and reliability. All three are important but if a gun doesn't sit comfortably in my hand, I don't think I can reliably shoot it. All of the venerable members of this forum have put forth a variety of options, all of which are accurate and reliable. I'd say your deciding factor would be comfort in your hand, concealability, features and of course, the price tag.

Just my two cents...and alot of rambling
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I'll be nice and not throw my 2 cents in , but any 1911 you choose is better than none.

http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/products.htm

Take a look at the Max-Con V. I carry a SA 1911 5" Loaded. This holster has a fat guard that is about even with the tip of my pistols beavertail. It works very well for me. This holster is well worth the $90 Gary charges. As far a the wait time you can give Gary a call. I got a Max-Con V to give as a gift that Gary had in stock. You may get lucky. The wait is worth it though.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian45
    http://www.brommelandgunleather.com/products.htm

Take a look at the Max-Con V. I carry a SA 1911 5" Loaded. This holster has a fat guard that is about even with the tip of my pistols beavertail. It works very well for me. This holster is well worth the $90 Gary charges. As far a the wait time you can give Gary a call. I got a Max-Con V to give as a gift that Gary had in stock. You may get lucky. The wait is worth it though.
    In the member's photo section someone has several good pictures of the holster that you mention. It will solve the body fat problem. Great llooking holster. It will not solve the cheaper ammo problem. I have decided to get one of these holsters for my remaining Springfield 1911.

How about a 9mm 1911?

Thanks for everyone's help. I made a trade for the Glock 19.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links