Need gun selection advise please.

This is a discussion on Need gun selection advise please. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I usually hate threads like this and here I am starting one. I guess I need to be punished. Anyway, I am considering trading my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need gun selection advise please.

Need gun selection advise please.

I usually hate threads like this and here I am starting one. I guess I need to be punished.

Anyway, I am considering trading my Kimber Ultra Carry for a Glock 19 or some other similar small 9mm.

Why would a I trade a perfectly good 1911 style .45 for a plastic 9mm?

First and foremost is cost of shooting. Even with loading my own .45, 9mm is still cheaper. Due to cost I haven't been shooting near as much as need or would like. With the new baby and 2 day care payments looming keeping the Kimber AND buying a new gun is out of the question. I am not a person who has internal 9mm vs. .45 debates. I am firmly in the shot placement camp. so i wouldn't feel undergunned with a 9mm.

Second, although I have no trouble concealing the Kimber, the grip safety isn't comfortable poking into my considerable love handles. It's not unbearable. I know carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable, still I can't help but think that it can be both.

I love my 1911. The optimal solution would be to get the Kimber Pro Carry in 9mm. It lets me keep the 1911 platform and get 9mm but it brings back the love handle issue.

I won't be abandoning the 1911 as it is my first love in pistols and I'll still have a full size Springfield. That gun will never be sold or traded. It will either go to my one of my kids or be burried with me.

Help! What advise can you offer?

2. Remove Ads

My wife really likes her HK USP Compact 9mm, 13 rounds plus one in the pipe. It is as compact as a Ruger SP-101, and is really nice to shoot.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm - well these love handles just gotta go

So - if I read you right you want to go 9mm but at same time manage carry more easily - and yeah, 9mm sure cuts costs.

So I guess you want small (er). Many might suggest PM9 type of deal - as long as Kahr service probs described elsewhere don't bother you.

I might suggest actually, altho manual of arms is a bit different - the SW99 or Walther 99 - I do think this is a very compact and carryable gun. True tho too a G19 could well also do the job. I sure wouldn't want you to downsize too much or you lose capacity.

Let's see what the other folks think too.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well I can see wanting to do what you're doing. Are you really strapped to the point you have to get rid of a good 1911 though? Can you pick up another gun a few months down? It sounds to me like you want to keep that gun if you could.

How are you carrying it? A nice OWB holster that was dropped and offset costs a lot less than a new gun. It sounds to me like you're carrying IWB or with a body hugging OWB.

Now that I've said that, nothing wrong with a Glock 19. I personally would much rather have the XD9, but I think that's a ta-may-to, tah-mah-to argument. It's a little bit cheaper too.

Administrator
    A Man Has Got To Do What A Man Has Got To Do.
    We'll still likeyou.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    HK USP Compact 9
    Glock21 - got a pic of that? Be interested to see it if you have.
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'll throw my opinion in and back the Glock 19, unless your wanting the weapon for more concealment, then i'd go with a Kahr P9 or P9Covert. My love for the Glock 19 (and my agency wont let me carry it) is because it is the most hand friendly of almost any weapon out there, easy to shoot, easy to conceal and for another 200 bucks you can get the 22 cal slide and shoot real cheap. Its just my opinion, but if I had to choose ONE gun to protect myself and my team and my family, it would be the Glock 19 with a 22 conversion kit.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Thanks for all the very helpful replies so far. A lot of productive suggestions.

Yes I am carrying IWB, I've found that for the way that I dress, my body shape, and activities, IWB seems to work best.

I'll look at the HK at the next gun show. It really is the only place to play with one as none of my local dealers carry them.

P95Carry:

As always you come through with great suggestions. I have been considering that Kahr line of guns. The one I messed with was nice. Good trigger and like the grip angle. Almost as thin as my Kel-tec P3AT. I don't have any hang ups about magazine capacity.

I did play with one of the compact Walther/Smith the other night. It just felt weird.

As far as the XD line. They are good guns. They feel nice. The grip angle and feel are similar to a 1911. I just haven't warmed up to the triggers on the ones that I've shot. Can't give specifics other than it just didn't feel right to me. I like the Glock trigger much better.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    I'll throw my opinion in and back the Glock 19, unless your wanting the weapon for more concealment, then i'd go with a Kahr P9 or P9Covert. My love for the Glock 19 (and my agency wont let me carry it) is because it is the most hand friendly of almost any weapon out there, easy to shoot, easy to conceal and for another 200 bucks you can get the 22 cal slide and shoot real cheap. Its just my opinion, but if I had to choose ONE gun to protect myself and my team and my family, it would be the Glock 19 with a 22 conversion kit.
    That is exactly why the Glock was my first thought. A friend of mine loves his. His conceals very well on him. Of course our body shapes couldn't be more opposite.

I had a Glock 23 a while back. While I liked the size and feel, I hate the .40 round. I just can't shoot it worth a hoot, and I've tried 4 different platforms in that caliber. I just can't shoot it.

Chris

Here is the pic note the stylish bike tube grip enhancer.
    Attached Images
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Thanks definately one to consider.

Upon further review, the Khar line is pretty much off of my radar. I've decided that I want more than 7+1 capacity. Ok, ok 8+1 with an extension.

Assistant Administrator
    Glock 21 - thx for the pic.

Indeed that is one very nice compact - if I needed to go smaller I would certainly give that one real hard look - I have great respect for HK stuff - and if not already a SIG'o'phile could well be as easily in the HK camp!!!
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    dws I say go for the Glock. Dollar for dollar I don't feel there is a better gun out there. I have two Glocks a G22 and a G37. I am going to the range in the morning and renting a G19 to see how I like it. So I may be adding a 19 to my collection. I know how attached we can get to our guns but if your not comfortable carrying what you have then it is time to move on. You said you have a friend that has one. Why not see if you can borrow it and his carry rig to see how it will work for your needs?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dws1117
    Second, although I have no trouble concealing the Kimber, the grip safety isn't comfortable poking into my considerable love handles. It's not unbearable. I know carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable, still I can't help but think that it can be both.
    Unless you really want to get away from the .45 maybe you just need a quality holster with a good fat guard.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Get the Glock 23. At least you can change out your .40 cal barrel for a .357SIG anytime you want.

You get a bigger bang for the bullet and still have a close capacity of the G19. Along with the two caliber options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links