the wait was worth it

This is a discussion on the wait was worth it within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally found my favorite concealed carry weapon. It has been a very, very long journey and I have been through many different CCWs, and ...

Thread: the wait was worth it

the wait was worth it

I finally found my favorite concealed carry weapon. It has been a very, very long journey and I have been through many different CCWs, and each of them were well built pistols; but it finally comes down to this.

I purchased this Sig Sauer P239 a few weeks ago brand new and I just put a new set of Crimson Trace laser grips on it today. They provide the perfect amount of friction against surfaces so the draw is always smooth. The CT grips may also give me multiple advantages during a Self Defense scenario.

I use it specifically for Self Defense purposes, and I carry it in either an IWB holster or a Smartcarry.

I made it purdy and took some pictures earlier which I want to share:

I choose the .40 S&W and .357 SIG as my main calibers, except for when I want to or am able to conceal my Ed Brown Kobra Carry 4" 1911 45 ACP ;-) I bought this as a .40 S&W model semi-auto and just recently acquired a stock conversion barrel to make it a .357 SIG. I haven't yet had a chance to go shooting at the range using my new 357 SIG barrel, but I may be able to make it to the range tomorrow morning to test out the new caliber for my first time. I picked up a 50 pack of Federal HST 125gr 357 SIG to use as my carry SD round until I figure out what the best 357 SIG round is at the moment. I am not as familiar with them as I am with .40 S&W and .45 ACP so I will have to do a bit of my own research to decide on a final Self Defense round.

This is the first Sig that I have ever owned, and until I actually owned one, a Sig was never anything special to me. In fact, I didn't know much about them at all, while I was very experienced and knowledgeable with many other CCW manufacturers including Glock, H&K, S&W, and Kahr. When I first held the P239 I felt the potential for it to be a magnificent concealed carry pistol and so I immediately decided to give it a chance. I am still open minded even after my new carry choice, and I am also a Glock fan, but the P239 just trumps my other CC options in class as well as in a number of other characteristics. It is, at least, my style

I've always wanted to own the power of the Ruger SP101 but I just can't escape the fact that I'm an autoloader guy, and this is about as close as it gets to a 357 magnum considering what platform I deliver rounds most effectively with.
    Last edited by kashton; January 23rd, 2009 at 11:33 PM.

2. Remove Ads

OK, dump question. How do you turn the laser light on ?

I try them on the demo-blue guns, but cannot consistently turn them on.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

I grew up with and am a pretty darn good shot with a good set of night sights (and these Sigs deliver well in this category). However, I think if I am placed under extreme stress, like a situation where I would have to present or even fire my concealed carry weapon, my thinking will be at the most basic level: point and shoot. What better a way to prepare myself to handle such a scenario than by easily placing a big, bright, red dot on my opponent's chest while still just naturally aiming. That little red dot can be pretty intimidating depending on what end of it you are on.
    Last edited by kashton; January 23rd, 2009 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    OK, dump question. How do you turn the laser light on ?

I try them on the demo-blue guns, but cannot consistently turn them on.
    You press where my thumb is on the grip. A little button there is pressed which activates the laser while gripping the pistol.

Congrats on a great EDC - nice pics
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Congrats on the new Sig. Did you get the DA/SA or DAK trigger? This is one weapon I've seriously been looking at. Let us know how your range session works out.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Excellent choice. That's a great ccw pistol. Nice pictures. Congratulations!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Thank you! It has a DA/SA trigger which is most excellent. It has been designed to have a supremely smooth action similar to that of my Ed Brown Kobra Carry's SA trigger, but with just not quite as crisp of a feel when the hammer is released. It is similar to Kahr's DAO very smooth trigger pull, but it is a SA hammer design unlike the Kahr's DAO striker. It has some of the best trigger qualities of both two guns which gives it's SA trigger such a pleasant and natural trigger pull with a powerful hammer strike.

Nice looking Sig but aren't they all!

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

Very nice choice of a great little SIG! They (SIGS) are IMO in the top 3 for reliability and shootability. Great sight to boot. I'm old school and still use my SF for night op's. Them lasers are looking more & more attractive.
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; January 24th, 2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: sp
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Links