The perfect carry Gun For Female/ New Gun Owner

This is a discussion on The perfect carry Gun For Female/ New Gun Owner within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife has graciously agreed to take the La CCW Class with Me. I was very lucky in the fact I found a Husband/Wife team ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The perfect carry Gun For Female/ New Gun Owner

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

The perfect carry Gun For Female/ New Gun Owner

My wife has graciously agreed to take the La CCW Class with Me. I was very lucky in the fact I found a Husband/Wife team that teaches the Class. I already carry and have an out of state permit that allows me to. Anyway I wanted to get mine for La and asked my wife if she would take it with me and she has agreed. So the Hunt is on for a new gun for her. Please remember She has never owned a gun , She has fired one before. She will be carrying this weapon and hopefully practicing with it. So Chime in if your wife carries and any Suggestions, Especially Ladies
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    My wife has graciously agreed to take the La CCW Class with Me. I was very lucky in the fact I found a Husband/Wife team that teaches the Class. I already carry and have an out of state permit that allows me to. Anyway I wanted to get mine for La and asked my wife if she would take it with me and she has agreed. So the Hunt is on for a new gun for her. Please remember She has never owned a gun , She has fired one before. She will be carrying this weapon and hopefully practicing with it. So Chime in if your wife carries and any Suggestions, Especially Ladies
    From my daughter....

M&P9c
    Comes with Lg, Med, Sm grips.
    Easily controllable. Good for various-sized hands.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I am a women just bought my first gun... a khar k40, my advice is to go with her to the shop have her handle as many guns as she wants and ask questions to the people working there about what she wants/needs/desires.

Also show her this site, get her a screen name and let her decide for herself!!!

When I first picked up my gun I knew it was the one, for ease of me reaching the mag release and the way it fit my hand.

SHE NEEDS TO PICK OUT HER OWN GUN!!!

~Krockett

VIP Member
    Cornered Cat
    Look at this site it is gear for the Ladies.

My girlfriend has a Smith 637 with pink grips. She loves it. Its light .38/ .38+p so its not too bad for her small frame. The gun weighs only 15oz or so, very nice gun. Comes with the black grips too if your wife prefers. I am seriously considering getting one for my self after playing with hers.
    Last edited by laguna0seca; January 24th, 2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Typo
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

Depending on your feelings regarding revolvers vs automatics I would either go with a four inch S&W K frame .357 magnum, or something along the lines of a Sig P250.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    My wife went through six different firearms before settling on a Kahr CW9. There is no perfect gun and the best advice you have received is from Krockett: she needs to pick out her own gun. No two people are alike.

My wife loved her S&W 638 as long as she didn't have to shoot it more than 4 or 5 times. It wasn't recoil that was the problem. The angle of the trigger made it extremely hard for her to pull it. She has no problem with putting 20 or 30 rounds through her Kahr even though I feel that the Kahr trigger is harder to pull. There was just something about her hand and the trigger angle on the S&W that didn't work right. Let her pick her own.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    My wife of 33 years asked me to pick her out a handgun. I picked her out a S&W 642, she enjoys shooting it and has never mentioned or complained about the recoil from this light weight gun. She shoots it good too. I like it myself !

Some will say a 642 is a poor choice for a new woman shooter, and that may be excellent advice for some women (or men). In my case it worked fine for "my woman". YMMV

I do agree that it's best for any person, when gun shopping, to try out as many choices as possible before purchasing.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

General advice is for her to see as many options as possible, hold them, fire some if possible. First step is to see if she wants a revolver or semi-auto. If she wants a semi-auto, might want to go over safety features for different guns to see what she feels comfortable with. I've been through this with my wife and the safety features were a big thing with her. She didn't care for a Glock (fine by me, I don't like them) and she wasn't about to carry something like a Kahr that simply has a stiff trigger. She settled on a Springfield XD 9mm Subcompact and is very happy with it. The grip safety makes her really comfortable with it.

let her decide for herself!!! take her to the gun stores to looks and feel the guns. take her to the range to shoot different guns. it will be up to her to what gun she will like. this is one time that you need to keep mouth shut and pull out the $$$ when she finds her gun. it will be hard, but it will work out. she might pick out a gun that you don't like, but remember it is her gun. be glad that you got her this far. for some unkown reason my wife has changed her carry gun three times in the last 23 years. just this week she started looking at my glock 26 safe queen. so i bet the next nice day she will run some rounds with the g26 and it will not be a safe queen any more. i will keep my mouth shut and things will be right in the world.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I too, agree that she should handle/shoot as many as possible before deciding on her carry piece.

When I was looking for my ccw, I looked for something great to shoot, and chose the xd9sc. I love it. Love the grip and trigger safety, love the chamber indicator, and love how it shoots. LOVE IT! I also like the night sights, and that it fits me well. HOWEVER....since I carry this gun everyday, the weight, and thickness is a drag. It's hard to conceal in the summer, but not so bad the rest of the time. In all fairness...I only have the one holster, so I'm sure that makes a difference.

Still, as a lady, I love my xd, but in all honesty, I'd recommend something easier to carry than fun to shoot. She'll probably be carrying more than she shoots it. Springfield needs to work on a skinny mini gun with all the features of the regular xd's.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krockett View Post
    I am a women just bought my first gun... a khar k40, my advice is to go with her to the shop have her handle as many guns as she wants and ask questions to the people working there about what she wants/needs/desires.

Also show her this site, get her a screen name and let her decide for herself!!!

When I first picked up my gun I knew it was the one, for ease of me reaching the mag release and the way it fit my hand.

SHE NEEDS TO PICK OUT HER OWN GUN!!!

~Krockett
    OK ! I get it! Thanks for the tip
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Which ever one she wants and fits her hands. Most all guns now days are reliable so just find one that works for her.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I tried to get my girl to like a semi-auto but in the end the simplicity of the S&W snubbie is what she elected for. I bought her a 642 and she really likes it.

I'm a woman and carry a M&P 9c and am glad I chose it. I'll admit, however, that sometimes it's a bit too bulky for some of my clothing choices, and I've been looking for another smaller, thinner gun for those days the M&P won't work. I was looking at the Kahr PM9, but at the recent SHOT show this past weekend, I really liked the new Sig .380, reminiscent of the Colt Mustang, though not as classy. It should be out this Spring, if I'm not mistaken, and I'm pretty sure that will be my back-up gun. Taurus also had a nice .380 that felt better in my hand, but I wasn't liking the trigger. Ruger and S&W also had some nice revolvers for coming out. I was impressed with the S&W Night Guard line. Other carry guns I like that are out now and also fit my hands are the Sig 239, the S&A EMP, and the XD 9sc. There are some nice options available now, and it looks like some good ones coming out soon. Let her shoot a few guns to get a feel for what she likes, and when she's ready to buy, let her choose her own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links