Sig P239 .357 SIG problem

This is a discussion on Sig P239 .357 SIG problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, I just registered after finding a thread through a Google search where someone had a mag issue with a P239 and everyone here ...

First off, I just registered after finding a thread through a Google search where someone had a mag issue with a P239 and everyone here was very helpful. I haven't received much help from the Sig Forum on this issue, so I thought I'd join up here and see what you guys think...and obviously hang around since there is so much good info here.

Ok, about the problem. I recently picked up the nicest Sig P239 CPO I've ever seen. It is in .357 SIG, which in my experience is a fun round to shoot and is VERY reliable as far as feeding. Unfortunately, both mags that have come with my 239 are failing to feed the first two rounds when at full capacity (7 rounds). If I only put in 4 or 5 rounds, it feeds fine. I've broken down the mags and checked to make sure they were assembled correctly. I can't figure out what exactly is causing it, but for some reason the top two rounds are not coming out of the mag at an upward angle...they are actually coming out at a slightly downward angle and then jamming on the feed ramp.

I'll try to explain it the best I can. With 7 rounds in the mag, the 7th round sits at the appropriate upward angle, but the round immediately below it (round #6) is actually sitting pretty level. The 7th round is in there tight enough that when it is pushed foward by the slide, it nose dives due to the available space below the bullet from round #6 sitting level. If I have 6 rounds in there, the same thing happens between round #6 and round #5. 5 rounds or less and I have no problems, they all feed reliably. This is with both HP and FMJ.

Any idea why it would be doing this? I'm stumped. I plan on calling Sig on Monday to inform them of this problem and request new mags.

Thanks for any help.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Sounds like you may have gotten a bad lot of mags. It's odd for 2 brand new mags to have the exact same problem. Normally I'd say your spring is too stiff. If Sig doesn't want the old mags back to replace the new ones, there's a few things you can try. Keeping mags loaded won't reduce the stiffness, but going through cycles will. You could use a cleaning rod or something similar as a plunger and cycle each magazine spring a bunch until they wear in. You could also remove the spring and compress it over and over by hand. You could even try cutting the spring down a tiny bit.

Either way, I'd mark these mags and keep them as range only, and not for carry.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    I have not had this happen with SIG mags, but I have seen some where the feed lips get bent or a dent in them and it throws the feed off. When the mag is full there is not a lot of room for error and a minor deflection on the lips can cause problems. If you find that this is the problem the next question is what is causing the problem on your mags.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Fortunately the CPO program gives you a one year warranty, so if it isn't right they will make it right. Off the top of my head I am thinking that if both magazines are doing the exact same thing that the problem is not with the magazines, but with the pistol itself. My first guess would be that when it was being serviced they put a 9mm recoil spring in instead of the .357/40 spring.

If I were you I would go ahead and swap out the recoil spring and give it a try. If that doesn't solve the problem go ahead and put the original back in it and send it back to Sig. You will have to replace that spring sooner or later so it is not really costing you anything to buy it now and try it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Moderator
    The magazines may have the spring inserted into them the wrong way. Take the mags apart.

The spring should be facing foward. By that, I mean that the angled part of the spring should be facing towards the gun. This places the plastic or metal shelf at an upward angle for proper feeding. If the spring is in backwards, it will allow the bullet shelf to point down, rather than up.

Got it?

I once corrected a mag this way at the range that had the same problem. If it is ever taken apart it is easy to turn the spring the wrong way. Its a simple fix, if that is the problem.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My first thought was that the mag spring was in backwards also, but after breaking both mags down, that isn't the case. The reason I think it is the mags and not the gun is because they feed fine with only 4 - 5 rounds in the mag.

For those not familiar with the CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) guns from Sig, they are factory re-conditioned guns that are usually turned in from law enforcement agencies when they are getting new guns from Sig. The P239s are usually issued as backup guns, so they don't tend to see much use...mine looks great to the point that there are barely any barrel smilies. All that said, the mags ARE used, so they could be out of spec somehow...I'm just not familiar enough with them to know how they could be out of spec that would cause my problem.

P239 Sig .357 JAMMING DUE TO MAGAZINE

I have the same problem. If I put 7 rounds in my P239 SIG .357 the 6th and 5th round nose drops. I have to put only 5 +1. If I put 7 it jams most of the time. The spring is installed correctly, but I noticed the force of the spring is very strong. I have three Italian made OEM Sig Sauer magazines and they are all big time DEFECTIVE misaligning the rounds. Have you solved the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by volman View Post
    First off, I just registered after finding a thread through a Google search where someone had a mag issue with a P239 and everyone here was very helpful. I haven't received much help from the Sig Forum on this issue, so I thought I'd join up here and see what you guys think...and obviously hang around since there is so much good info here.

Ok, about the problem. I recently picked up the nicest Sig P239 CPO I've ever seen. It is in .357 SIG, which in my experience is a fun round to shoot and is VERY reliable as far as feeding. Unfortunately, both mags that have come with my 239 are failing to feed the first two rounds when at full capacity (7 rounds). If I only put in 4 or 5 rounds, it feeds fine. I've broken down the mags and checked to make sure they were assembled correctly. I can't figure out what exactly is causing it, but for some reason the top two rounds are not coming out of the mag at an upward angle...they are actually coming out at a slightly downward angle and then jamming on the feed ramp.

I'll try to explain it the best I can. With 7 rounds in the mag, the 7th round sits at the appropriate upward angle, but the round immediately below it (round #6) is actually sitting pretty level. The 7th round is in there tight enough that when it is pushed foward by the slide, it nose dives due to the available space below the bullet from round #6 sitting level. If I have 6 rounds in there, the same thing happens between round #6 and round #5. 5 rounds or less and I have no problems, they all feed reliably. This is with both HP and FMJ.

Any idea why it would be doing this? I'm stumped. I plan on calling Sig on Monday to inform them of this problem and request new mags.

Thanks for any help.

Do the mags say 357?
    Pick up an 8 rd mag from Top Gun Supply and see what happens. If it jams its the gun. Or send the mags to Sig for replacement springs.
    You can try polishing the feed ramp but thats hit or miss. My 239/357 eats everything like candy.

magazine issues

I read that the magazine springs in the Italian mags ate different than the springs in the germany mags. Just saying

Links