Cold day at range

This is a discussion on Cold day at range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just bought a new Xd compact 45 with 5inch barrel, am waiting for my concealco iwb holster that I just ordered for it. Installed a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold day at range

Cold day at range

Just bought a new Xd compact 45 with 5inch barrel, am waiting for my concealco iwb holster that I just ordered for it. Installed a set of TFO sights as well. Well I headed to the range here outside of Bozeman Montana yesterday 12 degrees out and proceeded to freeze my nads off! my carry ammo I am going to carry and bought was 2 20 round boxes of speer gold dot 200gr +p 45s, I only fired 15 rounds of this,I know I need more to see if reliable enough,expensive stuff!! then I fired a box of 50 230 grn Remington UMC fmj.When I ran out my friend gave me 10 rounds of magtec stuff to fire.So I guess all in all about 75 rounds fired slow and rapid. and no hangups as of yet,and it it was 12 degrees out! soo so far soo good, And I tested a new 357 sig barrel for my Glock 27 as well with good results. A cold and miserable but still fun day!!

2. Remove Ads

You are a dedicated shooter, man. I don't go outside unless it's above 20.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Ha d the vehicle running, left gloves at home,was brutal LOL!! But fun.My son and my girlfriends kid were in the truck watching dvds.

You Montana guys are tough. Me, I am a weather sissy. Too many years living in Florida.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    Just bought a new Xd compact 45 with 5inch barrel,
    Not sure why they would classify a 5" barrel gun as a compact. I'm assuming the grip is shorter than the standard service model. Not having held one I would think the balance of the gun would be nose heavy.

THe XD45 Compact does not have a 5in barrel. The Tactical model does. Also there is the XD45 service. Both the compact and service have a 4.25" barrel I think. Either way the whole XD line are great guns. Have fun in the cold!
    God Bless America!!

Haven't been able to shoot at my range because the snow. Don't feel like trudging through deep snow to set up targets. Right now things are a bit tight to go to the indoor range, I haven't shot in 4wks.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I did the same thing this morning, here in Maine it was close to zero degrees! I think when I left the house it was 1-2 degrees outside.

My accuracy was off - but what I found interesting is that the sound of the gun firing was so much different, louder and more crisp!

It was fun to shoot the ice blocks! I had a couple of 5 gallon buckets of water the froze up, and I set the ice up, and had some fun!

"Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Leadtag, that sounds like my day yeaterday. Spent some time at the range and since it was around 18 degrees, no one was there to break concentration so we (guns, ammo and me) had a rather pleasant afternoon.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Yeah its tough at times,but.... a cold miserable day shooting is better then my best day at work!! I wish we had a indoor range.

I'm thinking of making the two mile trip to the range today myself. It's 33 here and not too windy. At least it's not misting rain or sleeting. We'll be getting some of that tomorrow and for the first half of the week apparently. When I get the notion to go to the range, I'm going. Gloves are good.

It snowed, overnight, here in Portland. Looks reasonably good, now, though it is cool (~30*F). Had been hoping to do some Rem 870 work at the range, but I don't like the idea of freezing my fingers to the barrel.

You folks in Montana and other places that get truly cold, I don't know how you do it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Gotta bite the bullet so to speak

Administrator
    12 Degrees....what we will endure for the love of shooting.

Leadtag...yep, frostBITE the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    12 Degrees....what we will endure for the love of shooting.

Leadtag...yep, frostBITE the bullet.
    12 degrees would be a bit extreme for me but I do like cold days and hot days for going to the range because it usually means I've got the place to myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links