gun for wife/lefty

This is a discussion on gun for wife/lefty within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; my wife is left handed, charter arms has a left handed revolver that we are thinking about getting.anybody know of a good semi auto that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: gun for wife/lefty

gun for wife/lefty

my wife is left handed, charter arms has a left handed revolver that we are thinking about getting.anybody know of a good semi auto that the mag release can be reversed for her left hand? would like it to be 9mm.probably a double action/single action or double action only. any thoughts? revolver would like to be 38 spl. if you know of onother left handed model.

2. Remove Ads

Lefty here, as well.

Here is a thought ...

On semi-autos, so long as the magazine release is of reasonable size and positioning, I can far more easily manipulate it with my lefty middle finger than I can my lefty thumb. Take any 1911 style gun you can think of. The large, round mag release button is perfectly positioned, I think, for a fast mag change using the finger, not the thumb. Particularly if the fingers aren't long and have a rough time getting around the circumference of the grip, the finger method can beat the thumb method for both speed and strength.

Plus, 99.9% of all semi-autos are going to have the mag release button "over there," so it's a matter of familiarity, as well.

Something to consider, though YMMV.
    W9HDG likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

+1 on CCW9mm
    I'm a lefty and always use my trigger finger to release the mag or operate the slide release

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Also a lefty here. Semi's I own are all standard models. I only need to add the ambi safety to any 1911's I acquire without (all but one I currently have came with them).

In other semi's, I buy without safties (Glock, Kahr, Kel Tec). I do have one ancient S&W model 59 that I put an ambi on when I got it (circa 1981). Point is, I won't buy a semi that has a safety that I can't get an ambi for. Mag releases and slide release (via lever or slingshot) are no problem for me left handed.

Revolvers? I've got the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 spl. its a right handed model. Have to admit being a semi auto guy pretty much exclusively from the early 1980's to 2007, I haven't really worked the reload drills for a revolver like I should. I do understand it can be done quickly by a left hander on a right handed revolver. Need to work on it, but it is doable.

Not really sure the lefty version is needed for a revolver, but I'm certain it's not for an auto.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

The S&W MP line is ambidextrous,the mag release can be switched to either side IIRC
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Walther PPS. I am a lefty - soft shooting, very light , very concealable, easily fits into a blue jeans back pocket ina pinch. Fits the medium hand beautifully. Superb gun

Sig P250. works great right or lefty. I am a lefty and I try to shoot with both hands. Nice smooth trigger and you can interchange the trigger for serveral frame sizes and calibers.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Lefty here, as well.

Here is a thought ...

On semi-autos, so long as the magazine release is of reasonable size and positioning, I can far more easily manipulate it with my lefty middle finger than I can my lefty thumb. Take any 1911 style gun you can think of. The large, round mag release button is perfectly positioned, I think, for a fast mag change using the finger, not the thumb. Particularly if the fingers aren't long and have a rough time getting around the circumference of the grip, the finger method can beat the thumb method for both speed and strength.

Plus, 99.9% of all semi-autos are going to have the mag release button "over there," so it's a matter of familiarity, as well.

Something to consider, though YMMV.
    Yup I totally agree. Also consider a standard revo . I qualified with one for the PD academy and had zero problems , even with 2 speed loads in the test.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

thanks for the help. I think we are going to go with the charter arms southpaw.she shoots left handed and to watch her reload is something awful. she knows how,its just the right handed gun an her thinking backwards to get it opened and unloaded then loaded its not pretty.we sat down and came up with it would be easier if she did it with a left handed gun. so maybe a semi in the future,but a left handed revolver for now. thanks

If the Southpaw is the first revolver she has ever touched, she will be golden. Problem is, most of us lefty's have put up with a right handed world so long, the purity is lost.
    Superhouse 15 likes this.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

My young bride is a lefty, and the FN-P9 has been ideal for her. The mag release is reversable and the de-cocker is ambidextrous. With the variable geometry backstrap, it was easy to fit her hand. It's also a very comfortable shooter.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I would say that Sigs are definitely the least lefty-friendly guns on the market. The left handed Charter is a very neat idea, one that I would like to try out when I get the chance.

I have gotten so used to hitting the slide release with my trigger finger and the mag release with a curled middle, that most guns don't bother me at all. I will never be able to hit the slide release on a Sig though.

NBC
    I recently purchased a Walter PK380 for protection. I'm a lefty, a woman and petite I'm also not going to be scared anymore. I also bought the light scope for those bumps at night. The gun feels good in my hand but I'm still learning and reading about it and practicing but the first thing I brought home was the gun box. I have always been terrified of guns, I've lost friends over accidental shootings and a few suicides. With teens and young kids you have got to be responsible, I'm sure that goes with out saying to most of you. Back to your question I like the Walter PK380, I don't want to piss of an intruder off with a toy. Family first thank God or the second ammendment. " A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.[8]

VIP Member
    I am a lefty and here is what I recommend. S&W M&P9c or Gen 4 Glock 26

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    My wife can't decide which hand to use, the Walther P99 mag release works with either

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links