Thinking Kahr...

Thinking Kahr...

This is a discussion on Thinking Kahr... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm leaning towards a P-45 (about $500 to $575 on GB) for a bit now, but it has come to my attention that a local ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking Kahr...

I'm leaning towards a P-45 (about $500 to $575 on GB) for a bit now, but it has come to my attention that a local shop has a "gently used" PM-40 for $545.

I do not intend to pocket carry. I don't see a huge difference in hitting a BG with a well placed 40 or 45. I'd likely carry (HOT) Double Tap GDHPs, pending feeding.

What else should impact my decision making?

Input?
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

I have a Kahr PM9. I love it. Never had any problems. I think between a .40 and a .45 it will be a personal feel. I personally don't care for .40 cal as a caliber. I think .45 is a better caliber over all. I would try to find somewhere you can shoot both. I know in my area there are plenty of different shooting ranges that allow for you to rent there guns.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I have a MK-9 Elite myself.
    Although I like the .40 cal, I have read that some think it is a lot for the small, light frame of the Kahr PM.
    Just something to think about.
    See if it's ok for you to shoot it first.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    It would be in your best interest to take a close look at the Walther PPS if what you want is a thin and concealable 9mm or .40 to EDC. Kahr is ok and I am not bashing but after having shot the Kahr and the Walther there is really no comparison.

The closest rent and shoot place is over two hours away. It would be hard to find time to go to shoot there. Plus it's pretty expensive, as I recall.

I have not seen the Walther up close. I do know it comes highly recommended, but at a minimum, I've held the Kahrs. And just looking, the Walther looks to sit a little higher in the hand.

I like 40 as a caliber just fine. I had a Glock 22 before the S&W pistols were even available. I was at the shop to buy the Glock 17, and the owner had me wait while he brought one out. Seriously, that far back...

I like 40, but I like 45 a little better, as my other pistol is an XD-45. I'd hopefully be able to find rounds that both pistols like, and keep things simple on that front.
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Walthers look to be in the high $500s, or low $600s. not out of reach, however.

My wife's gun is a Kahr TP9. I own a SIG P245. I like her gun so much that I want to get the Kahr P45. They are great to conceal and love how they shot.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Kahr P9 is a great handgun. Two years without a flaw.

I'm leaning 45. But the price of the PM confused things. I think if I was a pocket carry kind of guy it would be easy. But I'll IWB this pistol, so the extra size of the 45 is of no consiquence. If anything, it would make the draw easier...

I also think that the crazy short action of the PM series means a slightly higher likelihood of extraction or feeding issues. It seems the longer actions are less finiky, generally speaking.

When I was researching the PM series before I bought my PM-9, I really wanted the 40 as it's my favorite handgun caliber. While I couldn't find numerous reports of problems with either one, the vast majority of problems were centered around the 40 version and feeding problems. It was enough that I went for the 9 instead. That was 2 1/2 years ago and those problems could be solved by now, but you do say the PM-40 you're looking at is "slightly used" so it might depend on when it was made.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The pm9 is completely manageable. The PM40 is a different story-- it's doable, but not nearly as nice to shoot as the pm9. Definitely shoot the pm40 before you buy it.
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    If you aren't going to pocket carry, why give up the number of rounds carried? The P45 easily carries and conceals on a belt. The P40 series seems to have been more problematic than any other Kahr based on internet reviews. I agree there isn't much difference between the .40 and the .45. The full grip on the P is nicer to practice with than the PM short grip.

Do you already own guns in one caliber or the other? I avoid adding new rounds if I can avoid it. Personally I found hot loads more than I wanted to handle, and slowed follow-up shots considerably. If you really want hotter loads the the P size is the way to go, regardless of caliber.

Good to know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    If you aren't going to pocket carry, why give up the number of rounds carried? The P45 easily carries and conceals on a belt. The P40 series seems to have been more problematic than any other Kahr based on internet reviews. I agree there isn't much difference between the .40 and the .45. The full grip on the P is nicer to practice with than the PM short grip.

Do you already own guns in one caliber or the other? I avoid adding new rounds if I can avoid it. Personally I found hot loads more than I wanted to handle, and slowed follow-up shots considerably. If you really want hotter loads the the P size is the way to go, regardless of caliber.
    Yup, my primary is an XD-45.

FH, I'm like you in that I prefer .45 over .40 and I primarily carry a .45 as well, usually a Commander length 1911. In my opinion, adding a .40 to the mix just complicates things and it'd be one more round to shop for and stockpile as well as trying to keep the two separated during range trips.

It sounds like you're locating sources for NIB .45s that are close to the price of the used .40. All else being equal, I'd opt for NIB in the caliber you prefer.
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links