Talk me into buying a Glock.

This is a discussion on Talk me into buying a Glock. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; go for it. you can not go wrong. for cc, i have a glock 19. great weapon. great cc....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Talk me into buying a Glock.

go for it. you can not go wrong. for cc, i have a glock 19. great weapon. great cc.

2. Remove Ads

All Glocks should be 9mm, all 9mm should be Glocks, all guns should be 9mm, and all 9mm Glocks should be the G19.

It is that good.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Notwithstanding packin45's comments, above (which are either outdated (the rust issue) or I've never heard from an XD owner before) I wonder why anyone would purchase a Glock over an XD. Now, before dismissing what I'm saying as a "Glock-hater"--I am not. I have and do own Glocks, and they are great handguns. It's just that the XDs have everything "good" that Glocks offer, plus:

1. 1911-style grip angle (more natural pointing grip);

2. Grip safety (one more thing between you and an ND); and

3. SA's fantastic warranty/guarantee and customer service.

So, if you are getting all the "good" without the "bad", plus more "good", why go with Glock over XD???

VIP Member
    Glock makes an outstandingly reliable weapon... it sells itself!

Personally, I carry a 1911.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I recently bought a 23 and I love it. But it's the only handgun I've ever owned so I don't know any better!
    Throw nature out with a pitchfork
    And yet she will return

i am partial to the XD as that is what i carry. (4 inch stainless in .45acp) the only Glock I have had any experience with is my brothers old PD issue. im not sure what model it was, but it held 13 + 1 .45acp. i have above average sized hands, and that thing felt like a brick in my hands. i wondered how my brother even held that thing, let alone shoot it. imo there would be no reason to switch from an XD to a Glock. just my $.02

Quote Originally Posted by XDFender View Post
    Notwithstanding packin45's comments, above (which are either outdated (the rust issue) or I've never heard from an XD owner before) I wonder why anyone would purchase a Glock over an XD. Now, before dismissing what I'm saying as a "Glock-hater"--I am not. I have and do own Glocks, and they are great handguns. It's just that the XDs have everything "good" that Glocks offer, plus:

1. 1911-style grip angle (more natural pointing grip);

2. Grip safety (one more thing between you and an ND); and

3. SA's fantastic warranty/guarantee and customer service.

So, if you are getting all the "good" without the "bad", plus more "good", why go with Glock over XD???
    1) focus on front sight = grip angle means nothing
    2) Finger off trigger can't fire...and if I'm holding the gun AND pressing the trigger I sure as hell want it to fire. Grip safety doesn't do anything. If the trigger isn't pulled nothing will go bang. It's that simple.
    3) Glock is well known to have some of the best service there is. I've known them to replace parts and even entire guns with no hassles.

You go with Glock because it's a Glock and to be truthful everything else copied what they had done with the polymer gun market.

There's nothing that an XD does that a Glock doesn't and hasn't already done prior to its release. XDs are fine weapons sure, but they don't do it for me. To be completely honest, I think the XD trigger has a reset that is just way too long compared to a Glock.

I'm just nitpicking, but if someone wants a Glock I say go for it. It's a little piece of firearms history.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Not long after getting my CWP, I bought a Glock 23 to fulfill the role of my EDC. I tried on a few different pistols (HKs, Sigs) after the G23, looking for concealed carry "nirvana". Then, I bought a Glock 19 .

All things considered, it is just hard to beat the G19/23 as an EDC.

IMO!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    It seems to take a lot to talk me into a Glock, at least so far.
    I've been comparing 9mm's and I just don't like the feel, grip angle weight, something just doesn't feel right to me. I test shot a SW M&P 9 and liked it. I plan to trry a few others before I decide on the my next gun.
    The Glock just feels cheap and plastic. sorry cars and guns just shouldn't be plastic.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I am looking to get something easier to conceal I got a XD .45 with a IWB holster and it is a PITA trying to drive a sports car with that thing on the hip so that is why I am looking at a G23 cause it is alot smaller and I can beat it and it comes back for more.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    i am partial to the XD as that is what i carry. (4 inch stainless in .45acp) the only Glock I have had any experience with is my brothers old PD issue. im not sure what model it was, but it held 13 + 1 .45acp. i have above average sized hands, and that thing felt like a brick in my hands. i wondered how my brother even held that thing, let alone shoot it. imo there would be no reason to switch from an XD to a Glock. just my $.02
    G21, it was known to be large. The G21sf (slim frame) is excellent though, really comfortable by comparison.

This is where people make a mistake, hold a G20 or G21 and claim "Glocks are bricks" and they forget that Glocks originally were 9mm and IMO are meant to be 9mm.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    It seems to take a lot to talk me into a Glock, at least so far.
    I've been comparing 9mm's and I just don't like the feel, grip angle weight, something just doesn't feel right to me. I test shot a SW M&P 9 and liked it. I plan to trry a few others before I decide on the my next gun.
    The Glock just feels cheap and plastic. sorry cars and guns just shouldn't be plastic.
    Yet you looked seriously at an M&P which is plastic and copied what Glock had done except they added back straps.

To be quite honest the medium back strap on an M&P is small and the large is too big. I like how a Glock feels *shrug*
    -Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Yet you looked seriously at an M&P which is plastic and copied what Glock had done except they added back straps.

To be quite honest the medium back strap on an M&P is small and the large is too big. I like how a Glock feels *shrug*
    Actually yes, the grip and my hand at the fleshy part when the thumb joins the hand is uncomfortable to hold.
    Put the GP100 in my and and it feels like part of my hand, too bad it doesn't hide well on a small framed lady.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Actually yes, the grip and my hand at the fleshy part when the thumb joins the hand is uncomfortable to hold.
    Put the GP100 in my and and it feels like part of my hand, too bad it doesn't hide well on a small framed lady.
    I'm just playing with you, nothing meant by what I said. I'm just playing the role of Darth Vader defending the Emperor even when you know Luke is gonna win.

That's not the first time someone complained about the "web" of your hand (that's the fleshy part you referred to) being bothersome when handling a Glock. It seems either it works and it's the best thing you can use or you just don't like it. Lucky for me I'm the former of the 2 and it works great for me.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Talk me into buying a Glock.
    Evertybody should have at least one Glock!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links