Talk me into buying a Glock.

This is a discussion on Talk me into buying a Glock. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; +1. Own three. I would trust my life to any one of them....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Talk me into buying a Glock.

+1. Own three. I would trust my life to any one of them.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by XDFender View Post
    Notwithstanding packin45's comments, above (which are either outdated (the rust issue) or I've never heard from an XD owner before) I wonder why anyone would purchase a Glock over an XD. Now, before dismissing what I'm saying as a "Glock-hater"--I am not. I have and do own Glocks, and they are great handguns. It's just that the XDs have everything "good" that Glocks offer, plus:

1. 1911-style grip angle (more natural pointing grip);

2. Grip safety (one more thing between you and an ND); and

3. SA's fantastic warranty/guarantee and customer service.

So, if you are getting all the "good" without the "bad", plus more "good", why go with Glock over XD???

Well, I left out a lot of the issues I had with my XD, in order to focus on the differences between it and my Glocks and help the OP with his decision. But since you had to bring it up, here they are:

1. It jammed badly, almost every time I took it to the range. I tried everything......switching ammo types, changing my grip technique, running it dry, running it wet, switching magazines, you name it. I even let two experienced shooters try it, and it jammed for each of them as well. It was always the same thing- the nose of the round would hang up on the bottom lip of the feed ramp, and you really had to work to clear that thing when it happened.

2. I took it to a gun shop to have it checked out, and was told it needed to be returned to SA. I put in a call to them, and was told there was nothing they could do for me since the gun wasn't properly broken in, and not to bother them with it until it had around 700 rounds through it (IIRC...it's been a year). I was also told hollowpoints were not recommended. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

I made a post about this experience after it happened, and got flamed. I can't help what the rep told me.

3. Corrosion developed in the cocking serrations. At first, I thought it was gunk that had built up in them somehow- I wiped the gun down with an oily rag every night, and there's no way it should have rusted. But, sure enough, it was corrosion.

4. What is up with that trigger ?!? I swear, the XD must have two full inches of pre-travel!

Over on XDTalk.com, there is an entire forum dedicated to rust issues, and I found out that the Bi-Tones are exceptionally prone to it. Once I found out that the fix was to just sandblast the slide and return it, I lost confidence in the gun altogether, because I knew it'd be an issue that would always plague the gun.

Some pics for your enjoyment:
    http://www.gmginc.com/images/Rust/IMG_0229.JPG
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...Barrell036.jpg
    http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5567/004ats3.jpg
    http://images18.fotki.com/v339/photo...558aaa1-vi.jpg

My brothers and I were out shooting one cold Minnesota afternoon, not long after, when the mag release button froze. I could release the magazine fine, but had to smack the grip of the gun a few times to get the button to return. A small issue, but at that point, I decided I had had it with the XD, and with Springfield Armory products altogether.

The G21 I replaced it with is awesome. It has never jammed (except for a magazine issue.....once), rusted, and will shoot any type of .45 ammo reliably and accurately. I have shot IDPA matches in the rain with it, shot targets with it in sub-zero temps, and sweated all over it on hot summer days...it just doesn't quit, or develop any kind of issue. Plus, I can work on it myself, and if it did ever have to go back to Glock for any reason, I hear their customer service is also very good.

My issues with the XD I owned aside, an XD does not have everything good that Glock offers, or even anything remotely close to it. The only similarity between the two guns is the fact that their frames are both polymer; they look, feel, and operate completely different.

So, the short answer would be that someone would go with a Glock over the XD because they felt the Glock was better
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Wow Packin45, that really sucks!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

most say glocks are good,reliable guns and im sure they are.they don't fit right in my hand though.ill stick to my sigs & XDs...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    Well, I left out a lot of the issues I had with my XD, in order to focus on the differences between it and my Glocks and help the OP with his decision. But since you had to bring it up, here they are:

1. It jammed badly, almost every time I took it to the range. I tried everything......switching ammo types, changing my grip technique, running it dry, running it wet, switching magazines, you name it. I even let two experienced shooters try it, and it jammed for each of them as well. It was always the same thing- the nose of the round would hang up on the bottom lip of the feed ramp, and you really had to work to clear that thing when it happened.

2. I took it to a gun shop to have it checked out, and was told it needed to be returned to SA. I put in a call to them, and was told there was nothing they could do for me since the gun wasn't properly broken in, and not to bother them with it until it had around 700 rounds through it (IIRC...it's been a year). I was also told hollowpoints were not recommended. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

I made a post about this experience after it happened, and got flamed. I can't help what the rep told me.

3. Corrosion developed in the cocking serrations. At first, I thought it was gunk that had built up in them somehow- I wiped the gun down with an oily rag every night, and there's no way it should have rusted. But, sure enough, it was corrosion.

4. What is up with that trigger ?!? I swear, the XD must have two full inches of pre-travel!

Over on XDTalk.com, there is an entire forum dedicated to rust issues, and I found out that the Bi-Tones are exceptionally prone to it. Once I found out that the fix was to just sandblast the slide and return it, I lost confidence in the gun altogether, because I knew it'd be an issue that would always plague the gun.

Some pics for your enjoyment:
    http://www.gmginc.com/images/Rust/IMG_0229.JPG
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...Barrell036.jpg
    http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5567/004ats3.jpg
    http://images18.fotki.com/v339/photo...558aaa1-vi.jpg

My brothers and I were out shooting one cold Minnesota afternoon, not long after, when the mag release button froze. I could release the magazine fine, but had to smack the grip of the gun a few times to get the button to return. A small issue, but at that point, I decided I had had it with the XD, and with Springfield Armory products altogether.

The G21 I replaced it with is awesome. It has never jammed (except for a magazine issue.....once), rusted, and will shoot any type of .45 ammo reliably and accurately. I have shot IDPA matches in the rain with it, shot targets with it in sub-zero temps, and sweated all over it on hot summer days...it just doesn't quit, or develop any kind of issue. Plus, I can work on it myself, and if it did ever have to go back to Glock for any reason, I hear their customer service is also very good.

My issues with the XD I owned aside, an XD does not have everything good that Glock offers, or even anything remotely close to it. The only similarity between the two guns is the fact that their frames are both polymer; they look, feel, and operate completely different.

So, the short answer would be that someone would go with a Glock over the XD because they felt the Glock was better
    Wow... how old is your xd45 I know the premelonite XD's had issues with corrosion but I have not heard of this type of corrosion or jamming in an XD. I know so many who have thousands and thousands of rounds without a single failure. Sorry you got the bad end of the stick with SA. that's a real let down. I've had hundreds of rounds through my XD40 without a hiccup and some times without much cleaning.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

They are ugly guns. Friends don't let friends buy Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed4032 View Post
    They are ugly guns. Friends don't let friends buy Glocks.
    I certainly hope your joking
    Because I recommend what works and Glock's
    simply work. Thousands of rounds in mine
    and I run them dry, wet, clean or dirty.

I trust mine daley to save my or my partners
    life. ugly you bet, it's an instrument of death it's
    not supposed to be pretty, just reliable.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

re:

Quote Originally Posted by Red82 View Post
    Wow... how old is your xd45 I know the premelonite XD's had issues with corrosion but I have not heard of this type of corrosion or jamming in an XD. I know so many who have thousands and thousands of rounds without a single failure. Sorry you got the bad end of the stick with SA. that's a real let down. I've had hundreds of rounds through my XD40 without a hiccup and some times without much cleaning.

He is a hater, plain and simple. You notice how upset some people get when someone talks about Glock. And a lot of people go out of their way to put down the other weapon with more lies than truth. Both the XD and Glock are good. I own both and I can tell you. And the XD does everything the Glock can, and vice versa. It is very evident that Glock is trying to change a few things ( with the release of the 'SF' versions and the 40 with the textured frame/grip, saw it on the front page of the Glock magazine ) about their pistols due to the fact that companies like Springfield and Smith & Wesson are starting to bite in the Glock market which they had dominated for so many years until a few years ago. You can't go wrong with owning a Glock or XD !
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP SS
    Glock 17
    Glock 32 ( w/ 23 barrel )
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9

One of my best friends is a forensic firearms analyst and he sees and handles and shoots every kind of firearm out there. He (is) was one of the most ANTIGLOCK PEOPLE I HAVE EVER MET....his last purchase for an HD gun is.....a G21 SF, in .45 acp. He told me he tried and tried but could not find a gun with as much capacity and relaibility, and simplicity as the Glock no matter how hard he tried. That is enough for me. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

You know the more I think about it Glocks are garbage. Please you or anyone else who is on the fence don't buy them............. I hear stock levels are low and there are still a few more I need to get
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

if you have an XD why would you want a glock? I'v shot both and wil never own a glock.

The title of this thread is "Talk me into buying a Glock" not "tell me how many ways there is to bash a gun."

It truely sounds like the OP really wants a Glock and I say more power to him. Nothing wrong with adding a piece of history to your collection and like it or not, Glock is one of the most prevalent handguns out there.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    I have a G23 it is easy to carry and kicks like a mule, but I like it. I would like to shoot a G19 though to see if I like it better. I shoot mine for the first time about 3 weeks ago and it ran perfect, I even limped wrist it to see if it would jam, but it didn't and that is one thing that I have heard about the G23. Join the GSSF and you can get a discount on it.
    Redrick, membership is $35. What amount of discount does that get?
    Thanks
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

IIRC, it is like 398 for any 9,40 or 357 with standard sights. Dont quote me on that cuz I get the LEO discount which is about the same.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Yea the LE discount makes a new glock 398
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links