Talk me into buying a Glock. - Page 5

Talk me into buying a Glock.

This is a discussion on Talk me into buying a Glock. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You can do better than a Glock....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Talk me into buying a Glock.

You can do better than a Glock.

I own a Sig 220 .45, an XD40SC, and several other various models and calibers. All fine reliable guns. But my EDC is a Glock 23 that I've carried for over a year. The size, caliber, ease of maintenance, reliability, round capacity, and availability of accessories make it hard to beat (for me anyway). I've never had a problem with the recoil/muzzle flip that some complain about. To me it feels like a 9mm with +P loads. Glocks tend to hold a good deal of their resale value so if you get one nad decide to sell it you won't take too much of a beating dollar wise. Get one and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1boredguy View Post
    You can do better than a Glock.
    Explain, Open statements dont count, and it does not
    help the OP with his decision.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

OK look at it this way....last numbers I saw said65 % of LEO are issued GLOCK, 80% are carrying .40 that alone is very convicnign to me. If they were unreilable costly or high maintenance in anyway..LEO would be the first to give them up.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Glocks are reliable, quality firearms. If you can get over the grip angle (which I couldn't, it felt unnatural) it would make for a smart defensive purchase.

On the other hand, I chose a S&W Sigma SW40VE instead. Internal design is strikingly similar to that of Glock's (in fact they were sued for it) but it has a much more ergonomic design and grip angle for me. I also find it more aesthetically pleasing, but like all the other statements I made above, YMMV.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

My first choice in carry is a Glock, or a Kimber Tactical Ultra II. Either the G36 (45 ACP) or G32 (357 SIG) when a Glock is carried. The darn things never misfire or FTF, even when you do something stupid. I grabbed my G32 too high once (when practicing live fire from concealment) and ripped the top of the web of my hand off when cycling the second round into the chamber. I've done that before with a S&W 3913 and stopped the slide cold. Other than all the blood, stupid look on my face, and skin hanging off the slide, it went fully into battery and the second and third shots were dead on. And s*it like this can easily happen when you are facing a BG, or heaven forbid, multiple BG's and need those followups.

It gets kinda hot down here in Houston and during the summer, I carry under a loose shirt with the gun against my skin. For all their perceived ugliness, Glocks (especially the G36) are not at all uncomfortable against skin. Try that with a 1911 or other gun with ambidexterous safety's and you will be squirming all over the place. And probably leaving skin on the safety too.

I only need one strong side Tucker Leather holster to carry all my Glocks. Sure I could have different holsters, specifically tailored to each one, but they are all so close in dimension that one holster does it.

Then there is the issue of shooting hot rounds. Other than a crazy handload, there is NO commercially available round that I would hesitate to shoot in a Glock. Super hot rounds will cause premature wear on lots of "nicer" pistols but Glocks are meant to be abused. Maybe that is why they are so ugly, or maybe because they are so ugly. After shooting and carrying one for awhile, you begin to see the beauty in them. At least I do.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NativH View Post
    My first choice in carry is a Glock, or a Kimber Tactical Ultra II. Either the G36 (45 ACP) or G32 (357 SIG) when a Glock is carried. The darn things never misfire or FTF, even when you do something stupid. I grabbed my G32 too high once (when practicing live fire from concealment) and ripped the top of the web of my hand off when cycling the second round into the chamber. I've done that before with a S&W 3913 and stopped the slide cold. Other than all the blood, stupid look on my face, and skin hanging off the slide, it went fully into battery and the second and third shots were dead on. And s*it like this can easily happen when you are facing a BG, or heaven forbid, multiple BG's and need those followups.

It gets kinda hot down here in Houston and during the summer, I carry under a loose shirt with the gun against my skin. For all their perceived ugliness, Glocks (especially the G36) are not at all uncomfortable against skin. Try that with a 1911 or other gun with ambidexterous safety's and you will be squirming all over the place. And probably leaving skin on the safety too.

I only need one strong side Tucker Leather holster to carry all my Glocks. Sure I could have different holsters, specifically tailored to each one, but they are all so close in dimension that one holster does it.

Then there is the issue of shooting hot rounds. Other than a crazy handload, there is NO commercially available round that I would hesitate to shoot in a Glock. Super hot rounds will cause premature wear on lots of "nicer" pistols but Glocks are meant to be abused. Maybe that is why they are so ugly, or maybe because they are so ugly. After shooting and carrying one for awhile, you begin to see the beauty in them. At least I do.
    Well said. I agree, but to be sure ANY man made weapon system can misfire or jam. Glock is not an exception.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

buy a glock. do it. do it now.

Again--everything packin45 says about his XD is either no longer an issue with the current XD line (the rust/corrosion) which was addressed with a new finish; or so far out-of-line with everything I've ever experienced myself or heard from any other XD owner that I find it a bit incredible. See the G&A "XD Torture test" article posted on SA's website: SPRINGFIELD ARMORY

Also, merely focusing on the front sight does not offset the Glock's awkward grip angle, which slows down target acquisition and makes point shooting difficult. And, sure, when you grip the gun and pull the trigger, you want it to go "bang"--which my XDs have done every time. But when you reholster it, and a twig or empty brass, or some other foreign object has fallen into your holster and presses the trigger, do you want it to go "bang" then? That is when the grip safety's importance comes into play. Properly held with the palm off of the grip safety for holstering prevent this (admittedly remote--but still possible) potentiality.

Again, why Glock when the XD gives you everything the Glock offers, plus?

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Do you want it as a show piece or as a battle weapon? If you want a showpiece, any gun will do. Polish it, mount it, keep it safe and show it off.

If you want a battle weapon however, get a Glock. It's been proven over and over again.

Oh... and what's the saying? Colts and Kimbers you show your friends: Glocks you show your enemies.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Quote Originally Posted by XDFender View Post
    Again--everything packin45 says about his XD is either no longer an issue with the current XD line (the rust/corrosion) which was addressed with a new finish; or so far out-of-line with everything I've ever experienced myself or heard from any other XD owner that I find it a bit incredible. See the G&A "XD Torture test" article posted on SA's website: SPRINGFIELD ARMORY

Also, merely focusing on the front sight does not offset the Glock's awkward grip angle, which slows down target acquisition and makes point shooting difficult. And, sure, when you grip the gun and pull the trigger, you want it to go "bang"--which my XDs have done every time. But when you reholster it, and a twig or empty brass, or some other foreign object has fallen into your holster and presses the trigger, do you want it to go "bang" then? That is when the grip safety's importance comes into play. Properly held with the palm off of the grip safety for holstering prevent this (admittedly remote--but still possible) potentiality.

Again, why Glock when the XD gives you everything the Glock offers, plus?
    Because it's a Glock DUH! It's fine you like your XD, but I don't. Differing opinion yes, but do not try to force your one sided view on everyone. The Glock is much more proven than the XD that's fact. Plus, anyone who can properly align sights CAN compensate for any grip angle. As for your holster getting foreign objects, you need a better holster or maybe better glasses so you can see what you're sticking your gun into. With modern holster designs I have not heard of anyone getting something lodged in the trigger guard during reholster. The object would have to be on the actual firearm to press the trigger, simply loose in the holster would disallow reholstering the gun.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Because it's a Glock DUH! It's fine you like your XD, but I don't. Differing opinion yes, but do not try to force your one sided view on everyone. The Glock is much more proven than the XD that's fact. Plus, anyone who can properly align sights CAN compensate for any grip angle. As for your holster getting foreign objects, you need a better holster or maybe better glasses so you can see what you're sticking your gun into. With modern holster designs I have not heard of anyone getting something lodged in the trigger guard during reholster. The object would have to be on the actual firearm to press the trigger, simply loose in the holster would disallow reholstering the gun.
    You haven't identified one thing that the Glock has that the XD doesn't (except that you assert it is "much more proven" which is only true if you believe that sheer numbers and time on the market = "more proven"). In contrast, I have identified that the XD has everything that the Glock has, plus several other "plusses" in its favor. And aligning the sight to "compensate for...grip angle" sounds to me like having to "fix" a problem--one that doesn't exist with the XD.

Yeah, you're right--I love my XDs. But it's based on lots of experience with both Glocks and XDs--I own two of each, and have shot literally thousands of rounds through each. The XD is the superior handgun, IMHO, based on that experience. That's all. I'm not a hater, nor am I a starry-eyed fanatic for XDs. It is just that everything that I personally have experienced or heard from others who have significant experience with both (with very rare exceptions like packin45) leads to the same conclusion--the XD is superior.

i stopped reading around page 5...sheesh.

If we're sticking to 40S&W, and I assume we are as he mentioned the Glock 23, has anyone mentioned WEIGHT?

In a 40S&W, Glock kills the competition in terms of weight, with the exception of the Walther PPS and Kahr polymers (which are single stacks and a little more pricey).

Quote Originally Posted by XDFender View Post
    You haven't identified one thing that the Glock has that the XD doesn't (except that you assert it is "much more proven" which is only true if you believe that sheer numbers and time on the market = "more proven"). In contrast, I have identified that the XD has everything that the Glock has, plus several other "plusses" in its favor. And aligning the sight to "compensate for...grip angle" sounds to me like having to "fix" a problem--one that doesn't exist with the XD.

Yeah, you're right--I love my XDs. But it's based on lots of experience with both Glocks and XDs--I own two of each, and have shot literally thousands of rounds through each. The XD is the superior handgun, IMHO, based on that experience. That's all. I'm not a hater, nor am I a starry-eyed fanatic for XDs. It is just that everything that I personally have experienced or heard from others who have significant experience with both (with very rare exceptions like packin45) leads to the same conclusion--the XD is superior.
    I can, parts, aftermarket parts, holsters accessories
    aftermarket barrels, interchange calibers and mags.

I also have both mfg's pistols and love to shoot each one.
    But I still strap on the Glock when I go to work.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ron8903 View Post
    I can, parts, aftermarket parts, holsters accessories aftermarket barrels, interchange calibers and mags.
    Hmm... Aftermarket parts, holsters, and accessories--another ringing endorsement of Glocks.

If superiority is measured solely by market penetration and popularity (and the resulting impact on the after-market, holster, and accessories market), then yeah, Glock wins.

I measure the superiority of my defensive weapons by reliability, durability, accuracy, "shootability", ease-of-care, safety, and manufacturer/vendor product support--on all counts of which XD is at least equal, and in some instances, superior, to Glock. Side-by-side checklist of these issues on the weapons themselves and I just don't see how a real argument can be made that Glock is superior.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links