Multi-Part Carry Gun Questions

This is a discussion on Multi-Part Carry Gun Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First- I have an all stainless S&W 640 no dash 38+p only, no lock, in excellent condition. I will most likely have to trade or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Part Carry Gun Questions

Multi-Part Carry Gun Questions

First-

I have an all stainless S&W 640 no dash 38+p only, no lock, in excellent condition. I will most likely have to trade or sell it to get my next gun. Any idea what it might be worth?

Next, I like the 640 becuase I can put it in my pocket, but it's a little to heavy to be really pratical. Now that I have been carrying a while I have realized a carry gun needs to be convinient for me to carry it all the time.

I was thinking about trading or selling the 640 to fund another gun, I just dont feel comfortable with 5 shots of 38+p anymore. I wanted a SIG 220 I just think a gun that size I may leave at home, so that worries me. Then I thought about a SIG 239, easier to carry, but not a 45. Then I moved to a 3" 1911, easy to carry OWB, fairly light, all the things I wanted but realiability stories scared me. Then I thought a 3" small frame 357 mag would be perfect. Very reliable, should be pretty easy to carry IWB or OWB.

So what do you guys think, officers 1911, or 3" SP101 in 357 mag. I'm open to all options in those 2 guns now....I'm still mildly intertaining the 9mm P239 option also.

I'm just gathering opinions and options. Have at it.

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Remove Ads

Of those choices, I'd go with the 3" SP101 .357. I too am not impressed with the reputation of most 3" 1911 platform guns.

However, you might consider a newer design .45ACP compact/subcompact for carry. I have a Glock 36 that has been perfectly reliable. Its easy to carry, accurate, and of course, a .45ACP. The S&W M&P45c is also another good option.

Depending on exactly what kind of shape your 640 is in, I'd say it might bring as much as $400. If you are going to get rid of it, I'd sell it outright, not try and trade it in at a gun shop. You might well find someone willing to trade outright for a SP101 though.

That said, I would not sell or trade a perfectly good 640 pre-lock away. You won't be able to replace it easily later once you decide it was a mistake to get rid of it (and you will). Put a new gun on layaway, or save for it. The 640 is a great carry gun, and with some of the hot .38 Specials out there now (like Buffalo Bore and Double Tap), its nothing to be sneezed at. It will get you through fine until you can pick up your new gun from layaway.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

If you like the P220 except for the size, would you consider the P220 carry? Or, if you are not hung up on caliber the P229 or P239 ( yes I am a Sig junkie) come in 9mm .40 and .357Sig. I also would not be in hurry to part company with the 640
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I really dont want to get rid of the 640, it's a damn nice gun. I just want to get something else, I guess I could put whatever I decide on in layaway and keep the 640 also.

I heard the Glock 36 had it's own set of realiability conerns, unlike most Glocks. I held one once, seemed like the grip was huge and thin, and not very comforable...

Yeah I wouldnt mind a 9mm, but I prefer 45, I hate 40 and 357SIG is really expensive and I would have to order all my ammo online, I've never seen it locally.

That Sig 220 Carry is IIRC the exact same dimensions as a p229 which is a very popular carry gun. You can get it in about any trigger configuration you want too..DAK, DA/SA, or SAO. Thats is the one I think I would lean towards If I were you. Best balance of all of them. Good carry/CC size, .45 ACP and any trigger you want.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I used to carry a S&W model 36 (5 shot no +p). Went to Glock 26. More than twice the capacity and roughly the same size and weight.

Before you trade or sell ask yourself if you want more firepower or is it the weight that is the problem. If its the weight, try IWB carry. If its firepower you want really look around and try to shoot a bunch of different guns till you find one you like. Its all a compromise.
    Question Everything!

From personal expirience I would suggest you keep the 640, as you will most likely regret it later if you trade or sell it.

I like my 45 ACP's to be 5" in length, for reliability reasons, but the Commander seems to work OK. When I carry a Revolver I usually carry three of them. 3" GP100 IWB strongside, 2 1/4" SP101 OWB weakside and a J-Frame on the ankle.

My reloads are 38 Special, so they will fit all my guns, but if I have to reload I'm having a really bad day. I carry a second gun, even when packing a "bottomfeeder" because it is a faster reload. Lately I've been carrying a Hi Power with two spare magazines and a J-Frame with two reloads in my pocket.

The J-Frame, even your heavier 640, will go places that a larger gun can't. If you find the weight to bother you I suggest you look at an Airweight, or perhaps the new Ruger LCR. The LCR is the new lightweight polymer revolver that Ruger just introduced. I would however wait about a year before buying one, so Ruger can get the "kinks" worked out of the new gun.

Ruger has a habit of rushing new guns to market, and then having recalls. Avoid the recall, wait a year. That's what I'm going to do. Having had a "Hillary Hole" S&W lock fail on me by engaging while firing, I do not trust, like nor condone them.

Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth.

Biker

Thanks for all the advice so far guys.....keep it coming.

Personally the Sig 220 is too big and heavy for the number of rounds it carries. I would look at a Glock 30 or XD 45 Compact. They are smaller and lighter than the Sig 220. The Sig 220 carry is not much smaller or lighter. They are less expensive than the Sig and are just as reliable. I agree with the above poster who said to keep the 640.

You might consider a Kahr CW-9. Mine has been flawless for 400 rnds and is very easy to carry. Also the CW is only a bit north of $400 around here (I paid $409 for mine), so it would be far easier to keep your 640 like you should. I don't trade guns it will just be something to regret later on.

Even with the ease of carry that my Kahr has, I am still pondering getting a snubby for pocket carry. Ruger's new LCR looks like a better idea than the LCP but I will definetly give it time to work out the bugs.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    A SIG P220 is my main carry, but I did want a smaller gun. I hadn't liked the couple of .40S&W guns I had shot previously (including a SIG P229), but I have to say, I love my P239 in .40S&W firing Federal 185gr HST. I know you said you hate .40S&W, but if you can borrow or rent a P239 to try, I would really suggest you do that.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Keep your current pistol, you will be angry if you get rid of it. I have learned that there needs to be multiple options for carrying. I currrently have three main carry weapons. Colt 1911 5", Kahr P9, and Kel-tec .380. all serve a great purpose. There is never a gun that will work in all conditions...clothing, temperature, weight, capacity........
    I'm married to my Kahr.

"You might consider a Kahr CW-9. Mine has been flawless for 400 rnds and is very easy to carry. Also the CW is only a bit north of $400 around here (I paid $409 for mine), so it would be far easier to keep your 640 like you should. I don't trade guns it will just be something to regret later on."

++++1

the only guns I ever traded in where the two in my photo. A Taurus 9mm revolver, and an SW40ve. Niether of which I regretted, and to those of you in the know, you will understand. With that said, I would never trade or sell any of my current pistols. keep what you have, and buy a Kahr CW9. Or just save up and buy a P9.

I carry the P9 (upscale CW9 equivilent) more often than any other gun I own. It is easily concealable with almost any dress. And, they are superbly made in AMERICA.
    I'm married to my Kahr.

Sig P239 or Colt Defender

Given your preferences, I would recommend either the Sig P239 in 9mm that you mentioned or a Colt Defender in .45. I have both of these and they are roughly the same size. Either one conceals easily in a high riding OWB holster with a cover garment.

I know you are concerned about reliability in the short 1911. I am close to 1000 rounds through the Defender with no hiccups, so I trust the gun for defense. The only way you would be convinced would probably be to buy one and run enough rounds through it without a problem. The Defender gives you 7+1 rounds of .45 with the appropriate magazine. The P239 is 8+1 rounds of 9mm and generally no reliability concerns.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links