Defensive Carry banner

Does anyone have any pros or cons on a S&W sigma 40 cal.ve?

5K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  380ACP 
#1 ·
I bouught one and it seens like a nice gun,but the trigger pull is like a 11 pound loooong pull,anyone else have any experince with this gun?:aargh4:

#3 ·
Heard a lot of positive comments about the sigma, reliable and good weapon for the money. Have you thought about a trigger job? A range friend of mine has one and has had no issues.

#18 ·
I have had one for about three years now. I had a glock 27 and I traded it for the Sigma. Best thing I have ever done if you ask me. I have but well over 1,000 rds through it without a problem. I even carry it on duty from time to time and know of two other officers who carry them.

#4 ·
I have one, and did the trigger job myself.

[Disclaimer]I just Googled Sigma trigger job, but I was well aware that it would void my warranty and potentially be dangerous [/Disclaimer]

After that the trigger pull is very nice and especially for the price. I got mine during a rebate time and got $50 and 2 free mags.

What is real funny is if you disassemble a Sigma and a G17, they are very alike. It is no wonder S&W was sued by Glock :rolleyes:

#6 ·
I haven't had first hand experience with one but know a couple guys who own them. No problems reported and I have heard a trigger job helps a lot. Don't know about a do it yourself one but a good gunsmith qualified on S&W's could do a good job - you might could yourself but if it were me I'd go with a GS.

#8 ·
Dry fire it and then dry fire it some more. After 1000 rounds and couple thousand of dry firing you will smooth and lighten it and become a much better trigger control for all your guns. Win-win in my book.

My 40VE is my HD gun with a light and 15+1 rounds available.

#9 ·
I had a SW9VE for a week to try out, I loved it, the ergonomics were great, everything was great, but that trigger was soooooo heavy, ended up getting a PT99 as I wanted to use it for production class, so a trigger job wasnt allowed. With a trigger job the Sigma would be awesome.

#10 ·
First of all ,Thanks for all the feedback,..what is a trigger job??I am somewhat a nubie on simi-autos,am a old Revlover man...,Is it a different pound spring ?Llike my Glock 27 is 5.4 pound I think. There is a great Gun Smith at Guns and Leather a local gun store and range here in middle Tennessee,all Tn members here know where im talking about.Maybe if I call him(Jeff Walle) he can tell me what he can do....Have any of you got a trigger job done before? or done it yourself and what does it concist of ??? :confused:

#11 ·
If it is going to be a range gun go for what ever trigger mods you want to do.

If it will be a carry gun, then I leave them factory all the way because they were designed that way for a reason (generally to make them reliable). Lighting up a stricker fired gun can cause poor primer strikes when you really don't want the gun to go click in stead of BOOM.

IMHO, just shoot it and dry fire the gun and you will be happy. :bier:

#12 ·
I have a 9mm version and the trigger is a bit heavy. But not so much where shooting the gun is uncomfortable to me. And it did loosen up quite a bit after about 250 rounds or so. There are some tips and tricks that people have done to alleviate the issue a bit.

#13 ·
Trigger work

A gunsmith familair with the design should be able to do a trigger job for around $20 bucks. Cutting springs will void your warranty, but it should be no great trick to save the old ones if you should need to send it in. If the job is done carefully by a competent smith, there should be no reliability issues.

#14 ·
I have one, great gun...super reliable and easy to take down and clean. 40 cal is a great self defense round, and the Sigma can hold it's fair share of rounds as well.

As for the trigger, I really don't find it bad at all. I actually kinda like it. Then again, I started out learning on rusty old double action revolvers so...

But in all seriousness the trigger isn't that bad really...certainly not a competition trigger but more than adequate to get off an accurate shot.

#19 ·
Sigma 40ve

I've had mine for 3 years. It would be my EDC (every day carry) if my Kahr wasn't a little more comfortable to wear all day. The thing about the Sigma is it will fire any kind of ammo you feed it. Mine has never had a failure in over 2,000 rounds using many different types of ammo including some flat headed lead rounds that I reloaded myself. Since you're a newbie, "reloaded myself" means I manufactured the ammo at home. Just try to get this type of ammo to cycle through some other weapons. I have and it's not easy. That alone shows how reliable the Sigma is.

The trigger gets better as others have said. IMO it's a tremendous weapon for the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.