thoughts on the 1911 - Page 2

thoughts on the 1911

This is a discussion on thoughts on the 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; T Bone, I see.. I guess I didn't notice the 30 years part, but then even if I did, I didn't really know it anyway! ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    T Bone,

I see.. I guess I didn't notice the 30 years part, but then even if I did, I didn't really know it anyway! Makes more sense now..

For me, even if some of the single stack Sigs or Glocks come a little closer to the 1911 than the double stacks, there's still nothing that fits my hand and that I shoot as well as the 1911's.

The other day I shot a Sig 226 Blackwater and was about to lay the money down for it, but after shooting it side by side with my Kimber CDP, I just couldn't do it. I had my heart set on it for a short while, but every time I by anything that not a 1911, I sell it within a couple months.

I have another AR coming in this week, so I'm trying not to spend too much, but I'm placing an order for a Wilson Professional with a bobtailed steel frame and I might pick up the TLE or Stainless Pro Carry that's sitting at the one of the shops here so I don't have to use my carry guns when I go to Front Sight in a couple months.

psychophipps,

i understand the point about break in, but I don't carry a gun until I know it inside and out. I make it to the range once or twice a week and shoot a minimum of 200 rounds each time. The break in is usually over in a few days, then it still might be a few more weeks before I carry it. But, seeing as all I carry are 1911's 95% of the time, there's not a whole lot to get used to.

Jonathan

All I know about 1911's so far, is that I really want one. I'm saving up for a Springfield Armory version, I think.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by doubtful View Post
    To clarify a point in initial post, mine is a Combat Commander with an "80" prefix to the serial number, but no firing pin block. As I recall I bought it new in about 1981 or 1982.

Doubtful
    OK, that explains it, the actual *Series 80* pistols were introduced in 1983. Thanks amigo.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Maybe the firing pin safety was removed? So, it's a 80 series pistol by design, but functions as the 70 series??

Jonathan
    That could very well be true, on a "newer" Colt, you can remove the FPS.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I heard series 80, so I assumed it was.. I didn't know about the year it came out or the serial numbers.

It's amazing how much I learn from the forums, let alone the internet as a whole. There would be so much stuff I didn't know if I wasn't on the web. Gotta love it!

Jonathan

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Now, there are a great many 1911s that work full-tilt boogie from the box with nary a hiccup, but the fact that this 500 rounds to "warm 'er up" in this day of CNC machines, computer-driven machining systems, and 9000-series production capabilities is the established standard even with $2000+ 1911s is a complete farce and a direct slap in the face of the savvy consumer base for these weapons. If the product I help make failed after 500 minutes of use or 500 start-ups, I'd be out of a job, fer chrisakes.
    I have 12 Colt's and 3 Les Baer's, ALL of them ran " full-tilt boogie from the box with nary a hiccup", without any so called break-in. IF the pistol is built correctly, they should not require a "break-in."

There is a great quote from Bob Rodgers that is absolute gospel;
    The 1911 shooters with the least experience seem to UNIVERSALLY have the most problems.
    As both Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn have stated, the 1911 does not tolerate novices well.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I heard series 80, so I assumed it was.. I didn't know about the year it came out or the serial numbers.

It's amazing how much I learn from the forums, let alone the internet as a whole. There would be so much stuff I didn't know if I wasn't on the web. Gotta love it!

Jonathan
    Well said Sir. I learn something new everyday it seems.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    By my research (and memory), the Series 80 debuted in 1983.
    I'm sorry for repeating you T Bone, I did not see you answered this earlier.

1911 is obviously a tried and true design, been around a long time and still VERY popular. I own several myself. But, I carry my Glocks. I'm quite happy with them. For me, it is just easier to carry, than a full sized 5" 1911. As for being around in 50 years, well they have survived many torture tests, I think a 1911 might have trouble with. The cockroach of the gun world

I currently own a Kimber 1911, as it was my first handgun. I have had no complaints for it and I dont think I will be selling it anytime soon.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    1911 is obviously a tried and true design, been around a long time and still VERY popular. I own several myself. But, I carry my Glocks. I'm quite happy with them. For me, it is just easier to carry, than a full sized 5" 1911. As for being around in 50 years, well they have survived many torture tests, I think a 1911 might have trouble with. The cockroach of the gun world
    You mean that two World Wars and Nam wasn't a torture test?
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    This is what I'm hoping to avoid. If I get one of the jobs I'm looking at they only approve semi-auto .45s and basically order you to carry a different gun off duty. My thinking is that I should get a regular 1911 for work and a Defender for off duty. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SatCong View Post
    You mean that two World Wars and Nam wasn't a torture test?
    You missed a couple, but good point.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmith View Post
    This is what I'm hoping to avoid. If I get one of the jobs I'm looking at they only approve semi-auto .45s and basically order you to carry a different gun off duty. My thinking is that I should get a regular 1911 for work and a Defender for off duty. Any thoughts?

You missed a couple, but good point.
    I did miss a few, but point made.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

There is really nothing comparable to the original 1911 model in my opinion. I've been there, and I've depended on and trained with it in my USMC days. A 1911 was one of my first personally owned pistols for good reasons. While I've gone more modern since those days, and found the SIG P220 SAO to be somewhat of an improvement over the basic 1911 I knew before.....I'm still wanting another 1911 in the future. I'm not quite as fanatic about them as some are, but I do feel the urge to have and to hold one again as it was my beginning. A full weight, full size 1911 as originally designed....not some hybrid alloy frame "improvement" or compact version. All in all, I think John Browning did an excellent job, but the basic ideas must have come from a higher being. Will my Glocks be in good working order after 100 years? More than likely...with the same care I'd give any pistol I own.

I bought my first 1911 today and put 100 rounds through it. Broke it down and cleaned it this evening. I like it so far, but need to shoot it a bit more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links