Kahr PM45 need opinions

This is a discussion on Kahr PM45 need opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested in one of these as it looks like a really nice small .45 for ccw,for those here who own one of these ...

Thread: Kahr PM45 need opinions

Kahr PM45 need opinions

I am interested in one of these as it looks like a really nice small .45 for ccw,for those here who own one of these how do you like it? Are Kahr arms guns reliable like Glocks? I ask as I know they had some issue with their polymer framed 9mm guns a while back is this the case with the .45acp chambered guns at all?

2. Remove Ads

Do a search. There are a few threads out there. I like mine and have had zero problems with it. The majority of the stuff I have shot out of it has been Wolf too, which is really dirty.

Here are some comparison pics. First one is next to a PM9, second is a j-frame, and the last one shows how it fits in my hand. I have big ol meat hooks too. Fits just fine. I put on a makeshift rubber grip by just cutting a bit of bicycle tubing and slid it over the grip so that the front and back of the grip don't dig into my hand during prolonged range sessions.

I love mine! Its a VERY accurate shooter. It seems no bigger than a Glock 19, very smooth solid trigger.

In having .45 as my prefered SD caliber, I went with the Kahr PM45.

Great gun for such a small .45. Recoil isn't as bad one would think out of such a gun. Had fed various loads and never flinched. I'm now into the 500's on rounds through it. Will stop shooting it often when I hit six. Haven't had one problem with it...not 1. EDC six in the gun and a 5 count mag. in pocket. It's the only gun I've come across that fits all I wanted for a SD firearm.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have a Kahr P9, and find that the rough trigger guard skins my trigger finger in a few shots. I wear a band aid on my finger when I shoot it. I would not worry in a fight, or maybe I could holler "King X until I get my band aid."

I really like the P9, and would be hard put to choose between it and my G26 if I could not have both.
    I have wondered about the recoil of the Kahr .45.

Regards,
    Jerry

Love my PM45. Had a CW9 that I used for EDC but stepped up to the .45. Only problem I've had (through about 300 rounds so far) is that the last case ejected from a magazine usually flies straight back and hits me in the forehead. It's only the last case ejected, though...not sure why. And it happens no matter what magazine I use. Not really a huge problem, just a nuisance. Never had any failure to ejects. I have the finger problem with all my Kahrs also. I usually have to wear shooting gloves if shooting more than a couple of magazines. The recoil on my PM45 is not bad at all. I was expecting a lot worse. I think the recoil is less than a S&W 4014 that I used to have. Anyway, I EDC the PM45 now and couldn't be happier.
    -LP-
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama (May 15, 2001, The Seattle Times)

I had trouble with mine. FTF, FTE, slide locking back, live round jambed in the cylinder. I complained to Kahr. They had me send it in and fixed it. Works great now. They replaced the barrel. The only proble now is the it does not like reloads or wolf ammo. It is a great gun otherwise. I have started carrying it as my SD gun. I think that I am the only one to ever have a problem with it.

thanks guys looking like I might have to get one of these over the S&W M&P 45c I was considering the kahr look thinner in the slide and grip areas compared to the S&W. Also I forgot to ask you guys does kahr supply one or two mags with these guns?

Two. The standard 6 rounder will fit, but some think it looks goofy, etc. They are in the process of coming out with a 6 round mag that fits this gun that has a bit of plastic to rest your pinky on. Will look like the mag in this gun.

Kahr Arms PM 45 Troulbe

Hi,
    On my Kahr PM 45, ather about 200 rnds, I had side failure and light or none firing pin hits along with some magazine follower cracking, Kahr put a steel pin in the follwer to stop this trouble, but it just starts cracking below the pin area (NICE!) I have to tell you that I was so mad, that I didn't want to send the gun back to Kahr Arms. For a $800. gun, you should not have this much trouble, so I sold my PM 45 back to the gunstore and picked up another new Taurus PT145, which I first had traded in for this junk PM 45 (REAL SWEET!)

I watched a new one at the range, Saturday. It fail to fire about 10 times out of a box of ammo for 2 different shooters.

I would not carry one for defense after seeing that.

Shooter would pull trigger, hammer fall yet not a tap mark on the primer. All rounds fired just fine on second time through the gun. Something was a amok.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjeep View Post
    I watched a new one at the range, Saturday. It fail to fire about 10 times out of a box of ammo for 2 different shooters.

I would not carry one for defense after seeing that.

Shooter would pull trigger, hammer fall yet not a tap mark on the primer. All rounds fired just fine on second time through the gun. Something was a amok.
    What brand ammo were they using? Possibly something with very hard primers.

I noted a Hornady box on the bench. Good ammo. Not junk by far. I was shooting junk, MagTech and my PT111 was eating up, round after round after round.

Like I said, not a nick or scratch on the primer. It was like the pin never hit it.
    Last edited by Blackjeep; February 16th, 2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: nick is blocked?

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I've had a P40 for 3 weeks or so and now have the return authorization number to send it back to Kahr for repair. Classic problem w/the Kahr poly guns. The slide locks back after every round regardless of which mag I use. I've also got a slight bit of metal wear on the inside of the slide just forward of the port from the barrel striking. More than you'd expect for 200 rounds. This locking problem came only after the 200 rounds and cleaning. Don't know what my plans are once I get it back but it definitely shakes confidence. This doesn't seem to be an issue w/the steel frames.
    So.....think before buying. If I have done my homework the way you are now, I probably would've got another direction. At minimum, I think I'm done w/plastic guns. The P40 is great in size and weight.....but not if it won't work. And like driving a new car off the lot, value drops as soon as you take it home. If you get unhappy, you'll take a beating on the gun in trade.
    Think heavy, think Kimber, think "no problems". Life is a trade.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Slide stop Trouble

Hi,
    Check your Kahr manuel, make sure that you installed the slide stop properly onto the slide stop sring, NOTE: iit has to be installed just right, if not your gun slide will lock back ather every shot.

Links