Im scared of my 1911!

This is a discussion on Im scared of my 1911! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, Im not scared of it really ,just untrained. Im the kind of guy that when I want something I do some research...alot of it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Im scared of my 1911!

Im scared of my 1911!

Well, Im not scared of it really ,just untrained. Im the kind of guy that when I want something I do some research...alot of it really.I like high quality firearms. I wanted a 1911 . So I read up on what are some of the best out of the box .45s ...hung out on many 1911 forums...over the years read many handgun mags...looked at many custom smith sites..to really decide where I wanted to be and and at what price point ...had to be very good quality...didnt want problems .so you spend a little more. Last year I got a great deal on a Dream gun of sorts ..Springfield professional ( non railed) brand new never fired FBI/HRT sidearm .

now get this .I havent fired it. Almost a year with it and I have yet to shoot it....Why? Im not confident in takeing it down and cleaning it.Im not mechanical . Yes I can read directions..I need to learn hands on...Im a bit of a knuckle dragger at times ...need somebody to sit down and patiently teach me how to take it apart and tell me what goes where and why..talk to me like im 4 years old I dont care.

I have a 10-8 cleaning kit, a crossbreed supertuck in horsehide and a very decent amount of ammo and a bunch of want too.

there is a line in the movie" Dawn of the Dead "that I have always rememberd its the scene where the SWAT guys are in the gunshop and the one guy pulls down a nice rifle and shoulders it and comments " The only guy that couldnt shoot this thing would be the one who could afford it!"

I dont want to be that guy.

2. Remove Ads

Jump on in with both feet. Most 1911's are pretty bullet proof. It's easier than you may think and there are videos that show the take down and re-assembly all over the internet.

AL

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Limatunes (edit: who you're probably not familiar with, but if you search her name on youtube it will come up) has some video tutorials on 1911 assembly and disassembly on youtube. You might start there if you need a more visual reference. I'm also sure the guys at the range would be more than happy to show you.

It's good that you want to be comfortable in the assembly, disassembly and manual of arms of your firearm before you use it. Just remember the 4 safety rules, and it's nothing to be scared of. Enjoy your 1911 :)
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I'm sure if you asked somebody at the shop where you bought it or at the gun range they could help you out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

^ Bingo. Search youtube for the above mentioned videos. Mrs. Lima has some great videos.
    God Bless America!!

VIP Member
    Nothing beats practical application... I agree, jump in! I think you'll figure everything out a lot faster than you think you will.

The 1911 is a great platform but be warned... if you get bit by the 1911 bug, there is NO known cure!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

This is Lima's websight, check it out.
    Welcome

Lead Moderator
    You have to learn sometime. I would not be able to stand having a gun for more than about 10-20 minutes and not firing it for the first time.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks everybody! Lima looks very much like my girlfriend . Heck, this is going to be almost pleasent .

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    She certainly knows her stuff! Once you get the hang of it, field striping and cleaning is easy. Thumper has a point - there is NO known cure for the 1911 cure. Oh, once you get that 1911 out of the safe, you'll find it likes to breed. Pretty soon, you'll have another 1911 laying close by! BTW - welcome to the Forum!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Don't let JD( the hubby) hear you say that, Marines are rater protective :)

You'll be fine. Take your time, follow the instructions in the video and in the manual of your 1911. One word of caution, although it WILL push the plunger out of the way and make reassembly of a 191 bit easier, DO NOT DRAG THE SLIDE STOP UP INTO POSITION. You WILL leave what is called a "idiot mark" on the frame and it will tick you off to no end :-) If need be, get something thin and plastic to hold the plunger back to allow the slide stop to be pressed back into position
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

What I would do is just watch Lima's videos! They are great and she really knows her stuff when it comes to pistols.

Or you could just take it apart, clean it up real good and then come back here and ask how to put it back together. LOL. J/K.

Just remember those famous words "We have nothing to fear but fear itself". And another famous quote (at least in my house because it's my quote) "It's my pistol and I'm experimenting to see how many different ways I can put it back together, get out!" One question: You now have a gun you are not comfortable with, what do you have to lose? The very worst thing that can happen is you go to a gun shop, first thing when they open, nobody but the owner or sales there and show them your box. I garrantee they or anyone else that knows diddly about a 1911 will be more than happy to slap it back together for you and then make sure you know how too. I dare say everyone who owns a 1911 had some misgivings the first field strip. Jump in, the water is fine!

Ole JD Im sure is no more protective than this ex -Paratrooper and as well he should be... That is a rare jewel there... alass ,my heart belongs to another so ,worry not. Thanks for the link ...very good stuff and thanks for everyones hospitality!

Moto, I think gun is much too complex and you might be better off with a 4 piece Glock. I'll trade you my G36 "even steven". Then you can just go out and shoot, shoot, shoot!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links