Should Security Officers Carry Revolvers or Autos?

Should Security Officers Carry Revolvers or Autos?

This is a discussion on Should Security Officers Carry Revolvers or Autos? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work for a Security Company that is thinking about arming us. I had a discussion with my co-worker this morning about it. He said ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Security Officers Carry Revolvers or Autos?

Talking Should Security Officers Carry Revolvers or Autos?

I work for a Security Company that is thinking about arming us. I had a discussion with my co-worker this morning about it. He said if the company arms us the only thing were allowed to carry is .38 revolvers. He also said he would rather carry nothing if he couldn't carry a Glock. I agree somewhat; however I would rather carry a revolver then carry nothing. I felt he was being a bit snobbish about the whole thing. Am I wrong? Currently I have a .38 for my home, and feel pretty safe with it.

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with a good revolver. You get reliability.

CAUTION-- your state laws probably regulate armed security guards. You don't just strap one on --even if that is what the boss says--without having the proper license.

I would prefer a Glock to a .38, but a .38 is a heck of a lot better than nothing.

I know we have to take a 40 hour course.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I would prefer a Glock to a .38, but a .38 is a heck of a lot better than nothing.
    That's the way I feel too.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I think a licenced security guard should carry what they are most comfortable with. If they have a CHL, they should definitely carry what they are most comfortable with.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

In Florida I believe its either a .38 revolver, or a 9 mm semiauto pistol. I think .357 is okay too (in revolver form). That's it, and that's with a Class G license which includes some range time.

With practice though, there's no need to feel undergunned with that much gun on you.

Is there someone in the hierarchy you can ask? But as mentioned earlier, a .38 is better than nothing.
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I work as a part time security guard, and while my agency does not trust me to carry a gun on duty, they trust their patrol officers (they get to drive around and secure different properties) with guns. I think they let them go with what is most comfortable for them, but most of them seem to carry Glocks. I saw one older patrol officer carrying a Ruger P series pistol as a duty gun.

I never seen one carrying a revolver though, but a revolver is better than nothing. Once I turn 25, I'm going to inquire about becoming a patrol officer, because it is the closest I will get to being an LEO.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Here in TX we have to take a 30 hr course and qualify on the range before we have to wait for St to send us our license. and most ranges won't let u qualify w/anything under 9mm
    The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

I've seen a lot of the security guys that work for the company that owns the gun range carry mainly 1911 45's with a few glocks
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The nice thing about revolvers is they are idiot proof. I would rather have my Model 15 or 66 on my side that bad attitude while being unarmed.

If I was carrying cash every where, I would want more rounds because your bullet magnets.

If I'm checking doors and walking a beat (I have done that for 4 years while going to shool unarmed) then a revolver will work great.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I currently work in security also and I am soon to be armed with my company . I will be carrying my HK USP 40 for now and then my Beretta vertec in the summer.merlin45kout

Quote Originally Posted by tom1965 View Post
    He also said he would rather carry nothing if he couldn't carry a Glock. I agree somewhat; however I would rather carry a revolver then carry nothing. I felt he was being a bit snobbish about the whole thing.
    Tom1965 you work with an idiot! See, since I don't have to work with the guy I don't have to be polite and say he is snobbish.
    Nothing wrong with .38 special. If you can use +P loads so much the better. It isn't the latest fashion of course but if it were as lame as some would have us believe why was that the cartridge of choice for about 90% of U.S. police agencies for most of the twentieth century? If it were all that bad it would have been kicked to the curb back in say, 1935!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Tom1965 you work with an idiot! See, since I don't have to work with the guy I don't have to be polite and say he is snobbish.
    Nothing wrong with .38 special. If you can use +P loads so much the better. It isn't the latest fashion of course but if it were as lame as some would have us believe why was that the cartridge of choice for about 90% of U.S. police agencies for most of the twentieth century? If it were all that bad it would have been kicked to the curb back in say, 1935!
    mcp sir,

Very well said, and I agree.

I do not feel "undergunned" with a Revolver and in fact many times prefer them. People seem to think that ammunition capacity makes up for tactics and training, and I can assure you sir, the OP, that it does not.

Old ways and technology still work. here's my analogy. For those of you familiar with the bovine critters, you may "get" this. Those of you that aren't, I'm sorry.

That's why my saddle is made of leather and lined with sheepskin. It's "old" technology, but I can use it, along with the horse under the saddle, to rope a cow, put a cow in the corral and even block a cow from running down a feedlot alleyway.

If I used "new" technology, I'd be riding either a motorcycle or a 4-Wheeled ATV. I can move a cow just fine in a pasture and place her in a corral, if she wants to cooperate with me to a degree. What I cannot do is rope her or block her. Cows have been known to jump over ATV's, and speaking from personal expirience, the legs of a cow hurt when they make contact with your body.

Now the ATV is great for some things. I can pull a sled through the corral, loaded with hay and be done feeding a lot quicker than if I had to carry the hay from the barn. Plus ATV's aren't in the habit of bucking first thing in the morning unless you let the clutch out too fast.

See, both have their place, and can be made to work, just like Revolvers and Glocks. In short, it's the Indian, not the arrow that wins the battle.

Biker

There is really nothing special about Glocks. They work and do what they were designed for well. They are basically the .38 Special revolver of the 21st century. The .38 Special revolver did it job for decades and did it well. With modern ammunition selections it does it even better these days.

Your co-worker is an idiot. Only an idiot would choose being unarmed over carrying a perfectly functional, proven, and effective handgun. A lot of people suffer from the tacticool factor of plastic high capacity autoloaders and fail to realize how stupid their ideas actually are.

Is a Glock better than a .38 Special revolver? Perhaps, it depends on the task. Is a .38 Special revolver just as good, or even better, under some circumstances? Absolutely.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links