Which one's the BUG?

This is a discussion on Which one's the BUG? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I still carry my 1911's (usually the full size CQB) most often. But I seem to have developed an alternate carry "habit", for when a ...

Thread: Which one's the BUG?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar

Which one's the BUG?

I still carry my 1911's (usually the full size CQB) most often. But I seem to have developed an alternate carry "habit", for when a cover garment is not desireable, and I want a tucked in shirt (tuckable holsters just seem not an option to me).

I've started carrying the combination of the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 Spl. pocket carried in a jacket, along with the Kahr PM9 pocket carried in my jeans pocket.

When I arrive where I'm going (restaurant for example), the jacket is placed over the back of my chair. This still leaves the Bulldog relatively accessible (the pocketed PM9 would require standing to access).

But when standing or walking (before removing the jacket), I'd have access to either (both are carried strong side... might need to change that).

Thing is, either is "capable" of acting as a primary (in essence, I'm carrying two guns I bought to be BUGs, or "sometimes" primary's). So if I have equal access to either, and a situation presents itself, which would you favor and why? (I have thought about this, and do have some thoughts, but I wanted to get some considered opinion for input).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

I'd favor which ever one I felt more confident shooting.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

JD
    Administrator
    Which do you shoot better? That would be my primary.

Which ever is most accessible at the time. Don't worry too much about labels, use what is easiest at hand when its needed.

Personally, I'd favor the Bulldog (provided its proved reliable and shootable), just because I'm on kind of a revolver kick right now and I'm not much of a fan of little tiny autos in general (no experience with the PM9).

While I'm here, what do you think of the Bulldog? I've been thinking about picking one up.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I think there has been a shift in the mindset of many of us. I think it stems to the same reasoning that has us carrying smaller guns, in general. Many have mentioned this in past threads, that they carry a medium or larger gun, but tend to think to the BUG, first.

A lot of times it's more easily accessible as mentioned above. Whether it be in a pocket or some other form of carry.

My opinion, carry what's comfortable. If you only want one gun, fine. If you carry two guns, why not carry one with a larger capacity, if possible; should you go for the small gun on instinct, that's fine.

I prefer one that I can hit a target outside the "close range", if necessary. Example, mall shootings, etc. If I were ever put into a situation, I'd like to have a gun that I could reach out, without getting too close to the dude with the gun. Not saying I'd be some sort of hero. I believe in protecting me and mine. Frankly, I don't know how I'd react, but as far as preparedness, I'd like a gun that I can hit a target more than 10 feet away.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Which ever is most accessible at the time. Don't worry too much about labels, use what is easiest at hand when its needed.

Personally, I'd favor the Bulldog (provided its proved reliable and shootable), just because I'm on kind of a revolver kick right now and I'm not much of a fan of little tiny autos in general (no experience with the PM9).

While I'm here, what do you think of the Bulldog? I've been thinking about picking one up.
    I like it just fine! Only had it to the range a couple of times, and only have a little over 100 rds. through it, but I shoot it fine too (which surprised me, as it's the only revolver I've ever owned that I've shot). Single action it's great, though I fired very little SA, as I know in a real world situation I'd be doing DA only, so that's where I concentrated.

The PM9 I shoot fine too. Never been a bullseye type shooter, I'm generally content with center of mass, and that's the standard I've trained to. I get good hits with either.

My own thought would tend to favor the Bulldog, only just slightly. It has the edge on reliability (the PM9 has had a few fairly minor hiccups, which I expect will be history after a few more hundred rounds). These were mostly easily solved with the standard tap rack bang drill, though I am considering training a simple palm to the rear of the slide drill, as this would solve pretty much all the malfunctions I've had with it (one exception, a failure to fire, WWB ammo had a nice uniform primer strike, same as the other rounds but it didn't fire-tried it a second time, no fire- no problems on other rounds, I think it's safe to blame that one on Winchester, and me choosing cheap ammo ). The self defense ammo (Gold Dots) fired great, no stoppages at all, and it grouped way better too.

But I'd go for the Bulldog (if access was equal). Still something about a nice, really BIG hole
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    I think there has been a shift in the mindset of many of us. I think it stems to the same reasoning that has us carrying smaller guns, in general. Many have mentioned this in past threads, that they carry a medium or larger gun, but tend to think to the BUG, first.

A lot of times it's more easily accessible as mentioned above. Whether it be in a pocket or some other form of carry.

My opinion, carry what's comfortable. If you only want one gun, fine. If you carry two guns, why not carry one with a larger capacity, if possible; should you go for the small gun on instinct, that's fine.

I prefer one that I can hit a target outside the "close range", if necessary. Example, mall shootings, etc. If I were ever put into a situation, I'd like to have a gun that I could reach out, without getting too close to the dude with the gun. Not saying I'd be some sort of hero. I believe in protecting me and mine. Frankly, I don't know how I'd react, but as far as preparedness, I'd like a gun that I can hit a target more than 10 feet away.

Nate
    Well, 20 years ago, I frequently carried an AR15 behind the seat of my truck ... as the years went by, I matured and realized it was legally a gray area at best here in Michigan. Since even then I was licensed to carry a pistol, I decided I'd stick with what I knew was legal. It's been a 1911 or a Glock pretty much ever since (sometimes off body carry was necessitated back then by various constraints).

These days, it's still a 5 inch 1911 most times. And that's the handgun I am most confident with.
    Regards, T Bone.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post

Nate
    I get what you are saying about the move toward smaller guns and the general less shootable nature of said guns over that of larger ones. I suppose I fall somewhere in the middle. My BUG, which I carry both on and off-duty is a S&W 37-2 DAO Airweight with CT laser grips. I generally pocket carry it off-duty, which tends to make it more accessible for close range encounters. Its actually a BUG to either a Glock 36 or HK P7, either of which is carried IWB or OWB on my strong side hip. For shooting at any kind of range, I'd obviously go to the primary.

Then again, my PD issued Mini-14 and 2 20-round magazines are behind the seat of my truck whenever I'm off, so if things go really bad and I'm near my vehicle, I have that option too.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member
    Well, the "BUG" is the gun you reach for second!

So... what's a third gun called?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

To BUG or not to BUG....

IMHO....The BUG is the one that's not spitting fire and making lout noises.

Joey D.

Men fight for freedom, then they begin to accumulate laws to take it away from themselves. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well, the "BUG" is the gun you reach for second!

So... what's a third gun called?
    A BUBUG? (Pronunced BOO BUG?)...
    Regards, T Bone.

Landric wrote: "Which ever is most accessible at the time. Don't worry too much about labels, use what is easiest at hand when its needed."

Yep. Don't get too hung up on labels. ...
    God, country, family.

Links