How often do I need to clean my CCW?

This is a discussion on How often do I need to clean my CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Should I clean it after every range session? I don't want to mess it up by not cleaning it enough. Maybe a certain number of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do I need to clean my CCW?

How often do I need to clean my CCW?

Should I clean it after every range session?
    I don't want to mess it up by not cleaning it enough.

Maybe a certain number of rounds then clean it?

I have cleaned it twice already and have about 400 rounds through it.

Any links to general gun maintenance would be great too so I know where to oil, or lube and what to leave alone.

Kahr PM9

Thanks.

Ghille Greenhorn

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

I was always taught you can't clean them too often.

Having said that, I put about 500 rounds through my Glock 21 at a match in September and still haven't cleaned it. Rest assured I will before I use it to put one more round down range. Some people figure a lack of cleaning is the equivalent of there own torture test. OK for them but not with my EDC. Call me paranoid, but I go bang once with my EDC and it's getting cleaned. Do I trust my EDC if it's dirty? Yes. Do I trust it more if I know it's clean? Absolutely!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I clean mine after every time I shoot. I enjoy cleaning it afterward though. A carry gun should be 100% ready, so definitely clean after shooting.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Thanks!

I like my new little buddy and I think he likes to stay clean.
    Plus it gives me an excuse to take him out and play ...i mean clean it.

I imagine I will purchase a few more pistols sometime soon and I will probably get tired of cleaning them after the newness wears off.

I clean mine after every session, but it's a 1911. It can't hurt to have a clean gun.

Then again, I have a buddy that has a Springfield and after cleaning it, he fires about 10 rounds through it. If he doesn't for some reason it jams!

I personally think after every session is the right thing to do, but not always necessary. Sorry, I don't know much about Kahrs though.

Jonathan

I clean and lube my concealed carry after I shoot it,I do not want a malfunction caused by a dirty gun when I need it to function the most,I will also wipe it down and lube it every couple of weeks if I haven't shot it they attract dirt and lint just carrying around not to mention body sweat which if left on a gun will cause it to rust
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    Thanks!

I like my new little buddy and I think he likes to stay clean.
    Plus it gives me an excuse to take him out and play ...i mean clean it.

I imagine I will purchase a few more pistols sometime soon and I will probably get tired of cleaning them after the newness wears off.

As the newness wears off, the sentimentality grows. I would never trade my P229 for a brand new one. It's become MY P229, not just my p229. I keep track of how many rounds I shoot through each gun, and I also keep a tally of how many since the last malfunction (which hasn't happened yet with the sig). Maybe I'm a little too over the top, but I get pretty sentimental about things.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

That's cool that you feel that way. I'm like that with my Hi-Power and my CDP feels like mine.

Jonathan

PM9 Cleaning

I have carried a Kahr PM9 for the last couple of years. The first one became my wife's CW so I got a new one last year...

They both get cleaned and oiled after a session in the back yard (this is a Texas or Kansas sized yard, not a New England sized yard) or at the range. If my CW doesn't get fired for a few weeks I'll break it down and put a bit of oil on it and work it a few times, just for the sake of good practice -- machined parts seem to move against one another better when they're lubed.

For cleaning, I use Hoppe's Powder Solvent on first pass then do a final rinse with Remington's "Rem Oil" w/teflon and wipe down, work the action a few times and dry fire (safely pointed, of course, as well described in other threads on this forum, and after first checking then confirming and finally reconfirming that it is NOT loaded AND making sure the full clip +1 is lying on the table - I'm not OCD, just extremely cautious). Then disassemble and do final wipe to keep it from dripping in the holster and wash my hands thoroughly (really, I'm not OCD!!)

I do the same with any of my weapons after firing them. My father and the NRA instructor he brought my brother and I to when I was 12 taught us that way and that's how we roll around my house.

Not to sound to zen-ish, but the cleaning is as much about about becoming one with the weapon on a very personal basis as it is about proper maintenance and having a weapon that is ready for action. I make sure a bit of lube gets to every moving part, no exceptions. The Kahr Owner's Manual describes the cleaning procedure pretty well on page 21 (http://www.kahr.com/DL/kahrmanual.pdf).

Joey D.

One day of practice is like one day of clean living. It doesn't do you any good. ~Abe Lemmons
    Last edited by JoeyD; January 27th, 2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: to ramble on a bit more on a cold and dreary day...

I've been using Slide Glide lately for all the internals and it's made cleaning so much easier. Everything just wipes right off now without having to really clean it.. I was surprised how easy cleaning was at first. I put about 200 rounds down range once or twice a week. I went twice before cleaning and all I had to do was wipe down the internals and it was clean and ready for a new coat. The stuff just stays where you put it.

I use Militec for the outer parts - mostly the slide. I wipe it on and let it sit for about 5 minutes then wipe off all the excess.

Jonathan

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I clean my guns each time I use them regardless of rounds shot. That being said, it is also true that a modern quality pistol should be able to go hundreds, if not thousands of rounds reliably without cleaning, if the gun is in proper repair.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar

Mine gets cleaned after every range session no matter if I fired 10 rounds or 500 rounds. When it is carried it gets stripped and cleaned once a month.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I do a thorough cleaning after every range shoot, and also a periodic light cleaning and "de-linting" after I've been carrying it a while. The light cleaning is field strip and running a patch with Hoppes #9 down the barrel and wiped down inside and out. I only use the bore brush after range time.

I have been cleaning my weapons at least every other time at the range. I enjoy taking them apart and having a close look at each of their internals so cleaning isn't a chore for me.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links