Lady here looking for concealed weapon suggestions!!! - Page 2

Lady here looking for concealed weapon suggestions!!!

This is a discussion on Lady here looking for concealed weapon suggestions!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sounds like a Glock 19 would be right up your alley. That's what one of my daughters carries....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sounds like a Glock 19 would be right up your alley. That's what one of my daughters carries.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I really, really stress the simplicity and reliability of a revolver to new shooters.
    If I could only have one gun to carry [of the dozen or so that I have], it would be the S&W 642. Fantastic carry in pocket, purse, ankle. Lightweight so, you will carry it.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the forum.
    Best advice get to the gun shop and the range, shoot and feel as many as you can.
    After you narrow it down to a few, post for opinions and feed back on your choices.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

+1 Jat40

Oh boy. Why is it people keep repeating the same old, same old from 40 years ago? Not meaning to bash the wheel-gunners, but I hate seeing new shooters (mostly women and elderly) come to the range only to find out they can't pull the trigger on their new gun or can't handle the recoil of the airweight some j/a just sold them for more than 6-10 rounds.

To say that revolvers "never ever jam" is simply false. To say revolvers are more reliable than autos is ignoring what has happened in recent decades. As a matter of fact, over the past 20 years. I've had more problems with revolvers than my semi-autos, and I shoot the revolvers less. The insides have more delicate mechanisms, get grit in there and you have problems. They innards can bend due to recoil or rough handling. The timing of the cylinder can be off. When, not if, you have a jam - there ain't no getting back in the fight like with a pistol.

As far as shooting, please. A snubby has a shorter sight radius and many times the sights are harder to see (sometimes rear sights are non-existent) and the grip is so small it can be hard to get a good grip. You may say you won't use the sights in a SD scenario, but practice time may get frustrating for a beginner. Recoil is/can be harsher than with a full size revolver or mid sized pistol. First time shooters, people with small or weak fingers will have a hard time with the long, heavy double action trigger pull. People practice by pulling the hammer back, but will they be able to when the need arises?

Do an honest comparison between one handed gun handling including reloads. If you think it's easier with a wheel-gun, I'd bet you're probably not handling the pistol correctly and you're gonna have to reload that revolver 2-3x as often as many pistols. As far as actually shooting in a SD scenario, the only added complexity is flipping a manual safety off, and not always. If it's that big a problem, get a Glock, XD, Kel-tec, DAO pistol, etc. When reloading a revolver you have to find the cylinder release, swing it open, eject the empty cases (which may hang on the frame or grip), align six pegs with six holes, possibly have to remember to twist the speedloader in the right direction - all while scared to death, moving , etc. With a pistol - push a button, insert mag in gaping hole, release slide. Yeah, that's more complicated.

Most women I know generally like revolvers. Easy to shoot, easy to maintain, plenty of power with a 38+p JHP and easy to conceal. Comfortable to shoot at the range too.

For 9mm though, the Kahr PM9 is good, also checkout the Smith & Wesson M&P 9c, or Springfield XD 9c which are both small 9mm guns. These will be bigger than the Kahr but that extra size makes them easier to handle at the range during practice sessions. I will also recommend looking at the Glock 26 which is in the same category of the M&P and XD.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Limatunes

My wife really appreciated seeing some of the YouTube videos from Limatunes (a female member on this forum). It helped her to see how another woman manages to carry her handguns. Lima also has a website that my wife finds interesting. I'm on my phone browser now...anyone else have these links?

Welcome!

Hi Garrity~ Welcome to Defensive Carry! You'll find a wealth of great information here, and it's very lady friendly too!

When I was looking for my carry gun, I tried out as many as possible. I also learned the differences between revolvers, semi's, and then the difference's between different semi's. I knew how to handle a gun and shoot, but not the more specifics on what would be best for me.

It took a lot of research, and handling a bunch of guns before I decided on mine. I went with a springfield xd9sc. I loved the way it shot, I was naturally accurate with it, I liked the trigger and grip safety, as well as the chamber indicator and indicator that it's cocked. At the time, it was very important to me to be able to see/feel the top of my gun to know a round was chambered. Now, I've learned that I'm the only one that carries it, it's always chambered. Rarely does my husband grab my gun, but he carries the same way. Still, I like the feature. I also have night sights on mine. I tend to shop alone at night, (after the kiddo's are in bed) so I wanted the night sights for dark parking lots. Home defense as well.
    I appendix carry...right around the 2:30 position. I find it's easier to conceal for me, and I don't have to worry about printing so much. With kids I'm always bending over, buckling car seats....so I was not comfortable with the kidney carry position. Some women are though. It's very, very personal, so when you get your gun, wear it around (unloaded) the house in various positions to see how you like it.
    I only purse carry when I'm at church. I only have one holster, so I don't have a choice with skirts/dresses. Purse carry just isn't cool. Even if you have a shallow purse, you'd still have to dig it out, and that's not happening in an emergency....if you even had the purse on you. If you're considering purse carry....just pretend your gun is in it, and see how conscientious you are of how easy it would be to draw from a purse. I was shocked, at how next to impossible it is.

As far as holsters, that is a world I have not had the money to explore. I got a basic High Noon holster...the Hidden Allyhttp://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Hidden_Ally/hidden_ally.html Now, I did modify it a bit because I felt the butt of the gun rode too high on me. It was digging into my ribs. If you're long waisted (I'm not) it might not be an issue. What I did to mine, was drop the clip on it a tad. 2 hours worth of work, well worth it. I would prefer to have a "top" on the holster so the gun doesn't rub on my abdomen, but I have yet to find a holster that works for me. I did purchase the Public Secret holster from them, and they so graciously dropped the clip for me. However, I find it's WAY too thick. Looked like I had a giant abdominal tumor or something! Yikes! If you wear an IWB holster, you'll probably find that the thinner the holster, the more comfortable. If you can, try out a few. Not many people stock holsters though. Attached is a photo of my gun, in my revamped. Hidden Ally. Should you order with High Noon, you'll be pleased with their service.

As others have said, Cornered Cat is an invaluable resource. Limatumes also has excellent information on here, as well as on youtube about choosing hosters.

Have fun picking out your gun....but beware of the 'know it all' behind the gun counter. Most of them come in the form of older men, who size you up as soon as you walk in the door. Some, though, are exceptional, because they are either retired LEO's or they are really into what their wife carries. That's what I've found, anyway. Size them up yourself, by asking what their wife carries...

Just hang around here, and ask lots of questions. Do some searches on previous threads. You're sure to learn everything you need to know!
    Attached Images
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Garrity,

I like my HK P7. It's hard to beat when it comes to reliability, accuracy and safety. But it is heavy as it is solid steel. This one has an NP3 finish and KN Nill wood grips.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Welcome to the Forum....and as said above go to a good gun shop and try as many as they have till the right gun fits you in every respect!! This will make your mind up to what you really want to carry!!

Quote Originally Posted by budokaitd View Post
    I've always been told that women should avoid carrying in their purse, too many things can happen. Do a little research and you'll find something right for your needs. As far as guns go, I would take everyone else's advice and handle as many as possible.
    You can carry them in your purse easily. They make special bags which many of my friends use when they travel. Granted they aren't like a Balenciaga, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, etc. but they are decent.
    Concealment Purses - Magills.com

Just because your a female does not keep you from carrying ANYTHING you want. There are several women on the forum, and they carry all kinds of differant things. It seems to me that body size has some to do with what you can carry, but getting a good holster and having the clothing to cover the weapon is more important. That being said, if you have access to a range that rents...shoot em all. I, like a lot of members here have carried at least 2 differant guns before getting the "one" There are tons of opitions, size caliber, and so on. Don't get overwhelmed. There is a gun/holster combo out there for you and everyone else. Look in the Glock 19, XD, and Kahr. The J-frames are also great choices. No matter what anyone tells you, 9mm or .38spl is enough gun to "get the job done" Don't let someone talk you into a .40 or a .45 if you arn't comfortable shooting it. Good Luck!!
    God Bless America!!

Hi Garrity...Congrats and welcome to the fold!!

There is a lot of good advice here, but like bluedaisy said...research and try out different guns. Be patient, you'll find one you like and feel comfortable shooting it. Coltrane is right about Lima...she knows her stuff about CC. Heres the link to her website:
    Welcome
    And check out "The Cornered Cat"
    Cornered Cat

Good luck!!
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    +1 Jat40

Oh boy. Why is it people keep repeating the same old, same old from 40 years ago? Not meaning to bash the wheel-gunners, but I hate seeing new shooters (mostly women and elderly) come to the range only to find out they can't pull the trigger on their new gun or can't handle the recoil of the airweight some j/a just sold them for more than 6-10 rounds.

To say that revolvers "never ever jam" is simply false. To say revolvers are more reliable than autos is ignoring what has happened in recent decades. As a matter of fact, over the past 20 years. I've had more problems with revolvers than my semi-autos, and I shoot the revolvers less. The insides have more delicate mechanisms, get grit in there and you have problems. They innards can bend due to recoil or rough handling. The timing of the cylinder can be off. When, not if, you have a jam - there ain't no getting back in the fight like with a pistol.

As far as shooting, please. A snubby has a shorter sight radius and many times the sights are harder to see (sometimes rear sights are non-existent) and the grip is so small it can be hard to get a good grip. You may say you won't use the sights in a SD scenario, but practice time may get frustrating for a beginner. Recoil is/can be harsher than with a full size revolver or mid sized pistol. First time shooters, people with small or weak fingers will have a hard time with the long, heavy double action trigger pull. People practice by pulling the hammer back, but will they be able to when the need arises?

Do an honest comparison between one handed gun handling including reloads. If you think it's easier with a wheel-gun, I'd bet you're probably not handling the pistol correctly and you're gonna have to reload that revolver 2-3x as often as many pistols. As far as actually shooting in a SD scenario, the only added complexity is flipping a manual safety off, and not always. If it's that big a problem, get a Glock, XD, Kel-tec, DAO pistol, etc. When reloading a revolver you have to find the cylinder release, swing it open, eject the empty cases (which may hang on the frame or grip), align six pegs with six holes, possibly have to remember to twist the speedloader in the right direction - all while scared to death, moving , etc. With a pistol - push a button, insert mag in gaping hole, release slide. Yeah, that's more complicated.
    Calm down sir. You may not like revolvers but that doesn't mean they are not worth the look. For the record the word airweight never appeared in my post.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It's just a fact that most women I have taken to the range have GREAT difficulty with working a slide [don't have the brute strength] and when I show them a stovepipe or double feed problem, they simply do not want to have to deal with it. Let alone, removing, inserting mags, ect.
    I too, am a semi-auto guy but for starters, you can't beat a revolver.

The simplicity of the revolver is elegant in itself.

Welcome
    Also, to see her videos just jump onto youtube, and search limalife.

Quote Originally Posted by coltrane59 View Post
    My wife really appreciated seeing some of the YouTube videos from Limatunes (a female member on this forum). It helped her to see how another woman manages to carry her handguns. Lima also has a website that my wife finds interesting. I'm on my phone browser now...anyone else have these links?
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links