Lady here looking for concealed weapon suggestions!!!

This is a discussion on Lady here looking for concealed weapon suggestions!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gibber It's just a fact that most women I have taken to the range have GREAT difficulty with working a slide [don't ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lady here looking for concealed weapon suggestions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    It's just a fact that most women I have taken to the range have GREAT difficulty with working a slide [don't have the brute strength] and when I show them a stovepipe or double feed problem, they simply do not want to have to deal with it. Let alone, removing, inserting mags, ect.
    Yes, there are women like this. I know a couple. However, all of that can be fixed with knowledge and practice.

I have no problem racking the slide on my Sig. It's a matter of practice, and learning to overcome our socialized "fear" of using physical force. (Don't laugh; it's very real.)

Not to bash your post..... Lots of women who are new to guns have issues with them, and those issues can be removed with helpful, patient training, positive reinforcement, and gentle coaxing (if the woman is willing).

The simplicity of the revolver is elegant in itself.
    But I don't like the lack of safety features. I greatly prefer semi-autos.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by garrity View Post
    what is the best way for ladies to carry? Thanks so much!
    Garrity,
    Congratulations on taking your life into your own capable hands. Don't worry if all this info seems so totally overwhelming. Much of it will become more familiar over time. My wife has Rheumatoid Arthritis and has trouble working a semi auto, but she's dead-on with her .38 revolver.
    Find the next, nearest gun show (google texas and gun show) and take an educational field trip. Bring a notepad and handle everygun you see. This venue is not always the best to ask a lot of questions due to noise, crowds, etc, but find the 4 or 5 guns that feel best to you and fit your budget. Also look at all the carry options (holsters, bags, etc). Then take you list to a good gun store and ask all the questions you need to. Handle the guns again and ask about rentals to test them out. Some ranges also rent. Just as a reccomendation, I agree with the Kahrs. I have a cw9 and even though I'm a pretty big guy, I like the concealability. Good price too.
    Then you can make an educated decision and don't worry about changing your mind later...most of us have unused holsters laying in a drawer Nothing is written in stone, you can buy and sell as you grow in knowledge and can better define your needs. Go get 'em

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar

G19

Glock 19 sounds like the ticket in 9mm. SUPER RELIABLE, 15+1 capacity..great all-around pistol. Something smaller in 9mm try the "little brother" of the G19..the Glock 26. Either of these weapons and you can't go wrong. As an aside, if you'd consider a revolver the Ruger SP101 in 357 Mag is also a fine carry piece. It allows you the option of 38Spl ammo. Something to think about. Good Luck and welcome aboard !!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Yes, there are women like this. I know a couple. However, all of that can be fixed with knowledge and practice.

I have no problem racking the slide on my Sig. It's a matter of practice, and learning to overcome our socialized "fear" of using physical force. (Don't laugh; it's very real.)

Not to bash your post..... Lots of women who are new to guns have issues with them, and those issues can be removed with helpful, patient training, positive reinforcement, and gentle coaxing (if the woman is willing).

So you carry a sig right? I'm assuming it's a DA/SA trigger system which means you carry it decocked with a round in the chamber correct? That also means there is no manual safety, just the long and semi-stiff trigger pull on the first shot. How is that different from a revolver which has a double action trigger?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Jodie Foster used a Kahr P9 in the movie The Brave One. That's has a nice grip.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    They are very safe. All modern revolvers have a transfer bar safety so they cannot fire unless you pull the trigger. Same as a glock or XD or M&P or Kahr. You can drop a revolver, throw it, or beat it with a hammer and still no boom until you pull the trigger. Try that with an auto. They are simple and brilliant all at once.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

My wife loves her Sig 239.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    They are very safe. All modern revolvers have a transfer bar safety so they cannot fire unless you pull the trigger. Same as a glock or XD or M&P or Kahr. You can drop a revolver, throw it, or beat it with a hammer and still no boom until you pull the trigger. Try that with an auto. They are simple and brilliant all at once.
    The same can be said about the auto's, wrt to drop/throw/etc.

BTW, I'm calm, just frustrated. Never said I didn't like revolvers, just tired of the myths associated with them being perpetuated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links