10mm Kimber Eclipse

10mm Kimber Eclipse

This is a discussion on 10mm Kimber Eclipse within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my ongoing research of 1911s, I noticed that Kimber makes one chambered for the rather bonkers 10mm auto cartridge. I did a lot of ...

Thread: 10mm Kimber Eclipse

10mm Kimber Eclipse

In my ongoing research of 1911s, I noticed that Kimber makes one chambered for the rather bonkers 10mm auto cartridge. I did a lot of reading up on that as well, and it seems the two are a match made in heaven.

My question is has anyone fired/owned one of these? I can gather that 10mm isn't for the feint of heart and I would just hope that this gun can actually keep itself together for a long time, which many 10mm guns can't really seem to do. Any info or input is greatly appreciated.

10mm isn't that bad. I was a little disappointed--from the hype I was expecting a firebreathing, 'kicks so hard your grandchildren will feel it' round, and it turned out to be a bit less stiff than a hot .40.

Don't buy into the hype--the guns stay together and the round doesn't kick like a .50 BMG fired from a derringer. Very manageable.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I love 10mm. I eyeballed an eclipse for a long long long long time. I waited to long and now I lost on a good deal.

And no, its not a fire breathing dragon. My Glock 20 doesn't really buck or snort any worse than my 23 does. I imagine a 1911 platform might even be a little softer shooting.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Once upon a time I had a Colt Delta Gold Cup. It was interesting to say the least.

You also have to remember that not all 10mm loadings are the same. Many of the ones you get at your local shop aren't full load 10mm. There is a major difference between those and, say Winchester Silvertip hollow point or Double Tap loads.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

VIP Member
    I have a Kimber Eclipse in 10mm....I carry it while hunting. I use a rifle while hunting, but if I need to put an animal down at close range....I look to the 10mm.

Not sure why, but I don't carry it at any other time. My usual carry is a 1911 in .45acp.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

The 10mm is a very good self defense cartridge for both man and beast. While I have not yet fired a 10mm, I don't think it would be that much more difficult to shoot than say a .357 magnum in a medium frame revolver. I still plan to get a Glock 20 for when I am out in the woods by myself. Those 15+1 rounds of 10mm power would be very comforting if I am up against a pack of wolves or a gang of meth makers and users.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Once upon a time I had a Colt Delta Gold Cup. It was interesting to say the least.

You also have to remember that not all 10mm loadings are the same. Many of the ones you get at your local shop aren't full load 10mm. There is a major difference between those and, say Winchester Silvertip hollow point or Double Tap loads.
    Your so right.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    MY buddy has one in .45 ACP. Nice gun, but would be Really Nice in 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    ...if I am up against a...gang of meth makers and users.
    As sad as it is, this is becoming more and more of a threat to woodsmen every day all around America. If I didn't already carry all the time, I sure as heck would these days.

Links