Kimber...and?

This is a discussion on Kimber...and? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So it appears I'm going to be in the market for a decent/good 1911 style pistol. I've always had a thing for Kimbers and as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kimber...and?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

Kimber...and?

So it appears I'm going to be in the market for a decent/good 1911 style pistol. I've always had a thing for Kimbers and as of now, that's what I'm looking at for a new EDCC. I was thinking the Ultra Carry II.

My question is, what other options are there? I'm just getting into a 1911 style gun, so I'm not sure what I'm getting into. I'd like to stay around the $800-$1500 mark and still want a good quality handgun. Any suggestions? Comments or concerns?

- P
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

I've got a Kimber Pro-Carry and a Springfield Loaded. Both are very good. The Kimber has a slightly nicer finish on visible parts, but hey, it's concealed. I know there are other good quality choices, but in my experience, you can be confident with either of these.
    Still Clingin'

I personally love my Ultra Carry, but it's below your price range. I guess by the time you stock up on ammo, a few holsters, and a good belt, you would be in the general vicinity. The Ultra Raptor would be another to consider if you are set on Kimber.

Nighthawk, Fusion, Les Baer, etc would be closer to your 800-1500 price range.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    If I were to buy a new 1911 in this price range specifically for CC... I'd get a Dan Wesson CBOB... a commander sized weapon with a bobtail should conceal great! Now, as for how it would compare to a Kimber, no clue...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

My next will be a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II. It's an amazing weapon.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

Give STI a good look they are very nice guns

The Tactical Ultra II is a sweet one...Kimber - Continuing The Legacy OR http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...ltra_carry_II/

bet you'd enjoy either.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I personally love my Ultra Carry, but it's below your price range. I guess by the time you stock up on ammo, a few holsters, and a good belt, you would be in the general vicinity. The Ultra Raptor would be another to consider if you are set on Kimber.

Nighthawk, Fusion, Les Baer, etc would be closer to your 800-1500 price range.

well, i wouldn't necessarily be opposed to spending LESS $$

i do plan on investing in a good holster or two for it also. I have a decent gun belt already.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I have a Kimber Custom Stainless TLE II, great gun, yea the finish doesn't matter when concealed, but sure looks nice at the range.

Sounds like everybody is already covering a bunch of the bases...but the Smith and Wesson line look nice too and is ever expanding for choices of sizes and whatnot.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    While I like my Kimber (Desert Warrior), Kimber has fallen from many people's opinions at least in a lot of internet communities.

In the middle of your price range, I'd probably take a hard look at the Dan Wesson line if it were me. I think they're where Kimber were maybe five or seven years ago, producing a REALLY high quality 1911 at a very reasonable (for what you get) price.

More to the point, if you can go to the top end of your budget, you are near many weapons far superior. You're at the bottom of, or just a fraction below many semi custom guns, all of which are a cut above the average 1911. Rock River Arms or RRA (NOT Rock Island Arsenal or RIA, please don't confuse the two) are a fine choice. Their Basic Carry is near your top end. A used (like new) Wilson Combat CQB (like mine ) should be close to your top end, as would some models of Ed Brown or Les Bayer. A used Springfield Pro also should be in that range (hard to find one of those though).

For look at some cool higher end stuff, check out Gunslinger's, a gun shop in Milford (about straight North from Ann Arbor). They're a sponsor here. I've never actually been there, but they have a good web site that gives an idea of the stuff they're into (high end semi custom 1911's). Just be careful, this stuff is highly addictive....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    ................Rock River Arms or RRA (NOT Rock Island Arsenal or RIA, please don't confuse the two) are a fine choice...........
    Are you talking about this Rock River Arms? I thought they only made ARs.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    So it appears I'm going to be in the market for a decent/good 1911 style pistol. I've always had a thing for Kimbers and as of now, that's what I'm looking at for a new EDCC. I was thinking the Ultra Carry II.

My question is, what other options are there? I'm just getting into a 1911 style gun, so I'm not sure what I'm getting into. I'd like to stay around the $800-$1500 mark and still want a good quality handgun. Any suggestions? Comments or concerns?

- P
    You want a 3" 1911? Look at a Colt Defender. Awesome little gun. For a commander sized gun, 4.25" checkout Dan Wesson's CBOB (Classic Commander Bobtail). It's available in all stainless, or a black cerakote or something similar. All the parts are made by Ed Brown, all the springs are from Wolff, and has a match grade hand fitted barrel and slide to frame fitment.about $900 or so. Just the bobtailed frame is a $100 option for a smith to do it.

This is mine

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Are you talking about this Rock River Arms? I thought they only made ARs.

Hoss
    They did at one time make high end 1911s, but now according to their site they have stopped.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    Well... I'm sure liking my Kimber Tactical Pro II!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links