Suggestions For New Carry Gun - Page 2

Suggestions For New Carry Gun

This is a discussion on Suggestions For New Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Euclidean If he's left handed won't the Sig present a controls problem? Well not with a DAO or DAK variant... but still! ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions For New Carry Gun

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    If he's left handed won't the Sig present a controls problem? Well not with a DAO or DAK variant... but still!
    A P239 (maybe the SAS version) might do very well for him, since it's DAK.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Can't really add much - but certainly ergonomics are gonna matter if you are lefty. DAO would seem way to go even allowing for the longer pull.

Maybe G19 would suit best - ot even 26, assuming I remember right - hard time remembering all Glock numbers.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I used to have a P95 and did carry it IWB a few times, but not for very long periods of time. The P95 is a fine pistol, but not for cc, so I sold it. How does the G19 compare in size to the P95?
    CrimsonTide

Assistant Administrator
    Haven't got a side-by-side pic but, here is the P95. It is quite a ''chunky'' gun and I'd say definitely larger to carry than a 19. Just a reminder for you.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
    I am left-handed and I am not a very big guy. (5'10", 175) My shoulders aren't too wide, so I believe an IWB holster is going to conceal better than any other type of holster. I also need something with a durable finish because of the hot and humid summers here in South Alabama.

With that Said ill say Deff look at the glock line the only thing with a tougher finish is a HK glock has the best finish out there on a production gun for my taste.

I carry the K9 Elite...good, smooth trigger and no controls. It's stainless and the extra weight may help with recoil some considering your gout. Like someone said, racking the slide with any compact 9mm isn't going to be easy, but certainly not difficult.

Go to a reputable gun store or gun range that rents guns and try a few on for size. There are many good choices these days...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    ...or a Springfield XD very few controls...
    +1

XD is a Perfect choice, easy to manipulate even with one hand.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    This vs Fat? Switching from a snubbie to auto for a concealed carry weapon to rely upon for your life? Thus meaning having it with you always? After 18 years behind da badge and visiting many of our worlds exotic places for non-exotic reasons? I'd go with one of Kahr's. The others are great weapons, but unless your "planning" on getting into something, go with something your more likely to carry (thus have with you) when ya need it. Ok its my opinion and we all know the saying. Be safe.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Thanks for all the input folks! I think I will take a hard look at the G19, G26, and the SA XD. I haven't seen anyone mention the Sigma, but I also like this pistol. My buddy has the Enhanced Sigma in .40 and it has been very reliable for him. I have shot it, but it has been a good while, so I don't know how my hand would feel with that trigger. Anyway, thanks again, and if any of you have any more suggestions, please keep them coming!!
    CrimsonTide

I think the lack of interest in the Sigma in probably due to some very bad reliability reports back when they were first released. I know S&W made some changes but after those first reports I think most people tended to shy away from them. Could be they're great weapons now but there are so many other proven choices on the market I can't say I've ever considered buying a Sigma. Whadda I know, I'm a 1911 fan! LOL

Good luck,
    Jack

Sigma avoid them like the plague bad triggers crappy triggers springs liek to break in trigger ...

did i state they have trigger problems?

I think the latest Sigmas are probably okay for inexpensive guns, but I feel like at that price point I can do better. Some people really, really like the ergonomics though.

ugh my uncle has a old one and new one ya couldnt give me one

I'll throw another vote in for the XD9 SC. No manual safeties to mess with, no weird buttons to play with, just draw and shoot.

Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'd recommend you hold an XD as its mentioned so often, but then I'd encourage you to hold a kahr P9. Both are excellent weapons but to me (only my opinion) the XD feels chuncky compared to the slim profile of the Kahr series. I believe this "thinness" contributes greatly to the concealability of the weapon and the comfort in wearing it all day long, especially IWB which I also feel provides the greatest concealability. I find that how thin a weapon is and how long the grip is makes a big difference in how easy it is to conceal but all of this is VERY subjective and dependent upon body type and style. I

I love the looks of the XD but didn't like the chunkyness of it so I ended up with a Kahr P9. Recoil is very manageble, it's very light, accurrate and has been 100% reliable with everything I feed it.

Hope you end up with something you really like!

God Bless
    Gideon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links