Suggestions For New Carry Gun

This is a discussion on Suggestions For New Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a new carry gun to replace the .38 that I now carry. I want to get a pistol in 9mm. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions For New Carry Gun

Suggestions For New Carry Gun

I am looking for a new carry gun to replace the .38 that I now carry. I want to get a pistol in 9mm. I have had trouble with gout and it is affecting my hands, so I need something that is very easy to shoot and manipulate the controls. (I went to the range this past Sat. to shoot my GP100 and after a few rounds my hand got really tired when shooting double action.) I would prefer a gun with as few controls as possible. I also need it to be compact enough for IWB carry.
    CrimsonTide

2. Remove Ads

Glock or a Springfield XD very few controls

glock gives you 3 options in 9mm as does the Xd

I carried a glock 17 for a while good gun but only easy to carry if your a large fellow like i am ..

The sx sub compact is nice but heavy weighs more than my glock 17 does

Gotta agree with Bud, Glock or SA's XD Series

Sounds to me like you need a single action trigger, and a pronounced, easy to operate safey...yes, a 1911 pattern pistol in 9mm. Any DA/DAO pistol is going to require a longer, heavier pull...there's no way around it (except for maybe one of the Para Ordnance DA 1911's...never shot one but I hear they have sweet triggers, as far as DA's go). I'd say a Springfield gives you the best bang for the buck...with a lifetime warranty and excellent CS.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/im...9130LLarge.jpg
    Guns don't kill people; People with mustaches kill people.

Take a look at Kahr. The polymer models are very lightweight and very thin (both excellent properties for IWB carry) and the DAO trigger pull is very light and consistent. There are no external controls to manipulate. The only downside is that the slide springs are quite stiff, which could be a problem if you're having trouble with your hands. Still, that will be a problem with any compact autoloader, so I strongly suggest that you give them a look if nothing else.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Thanks for the replies so far!

Forstr,

The 1911's are easy to shoot, but the safety may be a problem because of my thumb on my shooting hand. It has a syst growing in the pad of it and I am going to see a doc about that soon. It is very sensitive now and I don't know what the outcome is going to be with it. And too, there is the price factor with the 1911.
    CrimsonTide

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill chime inn with a +1 on the kahr P line ( the plastic models have the elite trigger which is reportadly better than the standard , but its reasonably priced to swap out on the steel ones ) and also mention the various Sig 9mms if your right handed they are hard to beat

I'm very happy with my Glock 23 in .40 S&W! But my wife has a Glock 26 in 9mm that would be much easier to conceal, and it shoots unbelievably well.

The G26 would fit a smaller hand, better, unless you added magazines with a small extension on them, to allow all the fingers to wrap around it.

That said, I really have no problem shooting her gun with my "pinky" curled up under the base of the grip. It's very controllable, even with the "two finger" grip.

As with all the Glocks, the only "controls" to worry about would be the slide lock, magazine button, and the trigger!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Okay, think of an H&K USP in 9mm or the Glock M26 (9mm) or possibly a Sig Pro or Sig P239.

The H&K is available in the LEM trigger or with variant#1 there is the option to carry hammer down for DA first shot and SA thereafter. I LOVE mine! The slide on my USP 45 is possibly the easiest to retract manually that I have ever felt. Even my wife with a torn rotor cuff and several other physical disabilities found this unbelievably easy.

The Sig DAK and the H&K LEM are sort of versions of each other. They have no external safety NOR do they have a hammer drop lever, so that might fulfill a requirement here as well.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

You may want to check into the new SKYY CPX-1. I got one a few weeks ago and it sounds like it may be what you're looking for. It has a very smooth DAO trigger, is small, light and cost's less than $250 in most places (paid $220 for mine). I posted a range report on it in another thread here if you want to read it. I've fired about 150 rounds of various ammo through it with no problems what so ever. Your only real problem may be finding one.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I am left-handed and I am not a very big guy. (5'10", 175) My shoulders aren't too wide, so I believe an IWB holster is going to conceal better than any other type of holster. I also need something with a durable finish because of the hot and humid summers here in South Alabama.
    CrimsonTide

If I may say so, regardless of what you go with, and I second the XD suggestion naturally, you sound like a prime candidate for some gunsmithing. I normally don't suggest that for a carry gun, but if it's necessary to make the gun function for you, there's not really a choice.

I'd suggest the XD because it's a single action, no buttons or levers to mess around with, and you can get the trigger improved by Springfield's custom shop or a number of gunsmiths. It's also ambidextrous.

Sorry about your bum digit...hope you can find something that suits you...unfortunately, it getting very hard to find something affordable, that's worth it's weight in bat dung.

FWIW, I hear ya about these hot Alabama summers. I have always carried IWB too, but a properly designed OWB will conceal just as easily with an untucked shirt. I have one on the way and will definitely be evaluating it upon arrival.
    Guns don't kill people; People with mustaches kill people.

If it works in MIAMI, FL it'll work in Bama...

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
    I am left-handed and I am not a very big guy. (5'10", 175) My shoulders aren't too wide, so I believe an IWB holster is going to conceal better than any other type of holster. I also need something with a durable finish because of the hot and humid summers here in South Alabama.
    I'm in Miami, FL so if it works here, and all that I mention below do work here....then it'll work for you, too.

The Glocks and H&K will be tough to conceal IWB. I have done so with both, and the most comfortable holster I have found for this is the McDaniels II: http://www.andrewsleather.com But if you absolutely must go IWB in a 9mm, then I submit the Sig is for you.

However, the one thing that really recommends the H&K for lefties is the interesting ambidextrous mag release that is incorporated into the bottom of the trigger guard. It takes some getting used to, but it is positive and fast and can be actuated with either a thumb or a forefinger.

Durable finish goes to the Glock and H&K but the Sig ain't bad either.

People on the forum swear by the Kahr and the XD's and they're decent guns, but I personally don't care for them. Although I will admit the XD does have a very ergonomically comfortable grip.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

If he's left handed won't the Sig present a controls problem? Well not with a DAO or DAK variant... but still!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links