Sig P232 OR Walther PPK ?

This is a discussion on Sig P232 OR Walther PPK ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My EDC is a Kimber UCII but I would like a .380 for summertime once in a while gun or could be used as a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig P232 OR Walther PPK ?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar

My EDC is a Kimber UCII but I would like a .380 for summertime once in a while gun or could be used as a BUG. No need to discuss caliber, I am fully aware of the ballistics of the .380.

My short list is the:

Sig P232
    Walther PPK or PPK/S
    Bersa Thunder

I have a concern regarding the mag release on the Sig being European style (on the bottom) versus the standard thumb type that I am accustomed to with my 1911's. Muscle memory, ya know?

Anyone with "real life" experiences with any of these weapons? They all fit my hand well. Which have the best reliability?

TIA
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Administrator
    I think the Sig is the better gun on your list, but as you pointed out, the mag release is a real turn off. Then again, none of the pistols are your list are designed for high speed low drag type of work. Speedy reloads were not on the designers minds when all three of those pistols were on the drawing board.

Some of the Walthers leave a bit to be desired in the reliablity department, and I would not purchase one at full retail price. If you can find a bargain on a Walther and still have money left to have it worked on, that might be a good option for you.

Bersa Thunder is one of the better kept secrets. It's a decent gun at a junk gun price. The build quality isnt as good as the Sig or Walther, but the price reflects that. It won't last you a lifetime like the Sig or Walther, but it will get you into a midsized 380 cheaply.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I would go with the Sig or Bersa.

Actually I would go witht he Bersa first. Not as good fit and finish as the other two but just as (Sig) or more reliable (than the Walther). You can use the money you save on ammo, holsters and mags.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Of the PPK and the Sig, either are quality pistols. My personal choice would be the Sig. I think much less of the Bersa than the other two.

The Sig is the lightest. A blued Sig weighs a scant 17 oz. To me weight is a major factor.

All three are accurate enough. I shoot the Sig better than the other two, but that could vary. The Sig fits my hand better and points more naturally than the other two.

The Sig comes with night sights, the other two don't. This may or may not be a factor to you.

I like the fact that the Sig has several choices of grip; original, Hogue rubber and many wood styles, (I'm partial to the Nill grips).

The Sig and Walther are available in stainless steel if desired, while the Bersa is not.

Choose your finish...

The Walther's only real flaw is it's weight.

The Bersa is the gun I tried to love but couldn't. Loose screws, rattles, hard to find mags, and semi-frustrating takedown made me give up on it. Many people love these guns, but I think they are inferior to the Sig and Walther and Beretta for that matter. The Bersa wasn't that less expensive than what I paid for these other guns.

IMHO, the Sig is the way to go. My wife carries a stainless 232 with the Sig/Hogue grips and she loves the little pistol. Magazine changes aren't as fluid as a 1911 or similar but with practice can be smooth and functional. The gun has in excess of 1000 rounds through it with (as far as I know) only two smokestack jams from Fiocchi ammo with the mid-case crimped ring. All other ammo, including reloads, shoots flawlessly. The 232's sights are large enough to acquire quickly without snagging on clothes / purse (she purse carries - I wouldn't exect that from you :)) We have a friend with a Bersa and the fit, finish and shootability of the gun is not up to that of the Sig. I do believe the Bersa is a great deal (gun vs. cost) but I still endorse the Sig.
    Whichever you choose, you're getting a new gun - congratulations!

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    I actually had a terrible experience with a Bersa Thunder Cc model I had. About 70% FTF's and a few "no bang when I pull the switch" issues. I've heard that the CC model is much worse than the standard Thunder. Personally, I will NEVER buy a Bersa again.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I recently hit the range with a SIG 232 and a Bersa Thunder Plus 380 (15 rnd mag). I didn't shoot the SIG near as accurately as the bersa for some reason. (I'm not saying it was the gun, I know it was me) The Bersa felt sold, had a great single action shot, and I was shooting 2-3 inch groups at 15 yds (max dist at this particular range). One FTF when I went through a box of JHPs. No FTF through the two boxes of FMJ.

I like the sig (like all sigs), but something about my hand geometry left me with a pair of scars on the top of the web of my strong hand where it was biting me. Maybe the anticpated pain was throwing off my shots. No similar problem with the bersa despite the similar geometry.

Bersa takedown was tricky at first, and still a little ackward, but really not bad once you're acustomed to it.

So, I would personally take the Bersa over the Sig (haven't shot the walther if that wasn't obvious), knowing well the possible drawbacks of not going with the "top shelf" weapon. But my experience definitely has me standing stronger in the "fire before you buy" camp!

VIP Member
    I have a Sig 230 (the precursor to the 232 - mine has "Made in W. Germany" on it...lol) and think it is great for what it is. Yes, the mag release is funky, but this pistol is reliable, relatively light, very slim and easy to carry/conceal, and is much more accurate than it has any right to be.

I have had two bad experiences with the Walthers (and no good ones), though this sampling is, of course, too small to draw any major conclusions. I have no experience with the Bersa, but overall they seem to earn favorable reviews.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have had both the Sig and the Walther, and if I had to choose between the two, the Sig would win hands down as it is reliable to a fault, something I can't say about the Walther. I also have no experience with the Bersa, but I have read good reviews about it and it certainly costs much less than the other two .380 pistols.
    God bless our troops!

I carry A Kimber CDP 3" also I have A Glock 30,both guns have never FTF.
    The kimber can put all my rounds in A 5" circle at 25 yards.I think that the 45acp is A good round for stoping anyone it hits.I wear the Kimber inside the
    pants the glock goes outside the pants due to the thickness of the grips but
    the glock has eleven shots to the Kimbers eight,but all in all I don't leave home
    without them.

Bronco Bob

I've never fired a Bersa so won't comment on them. Of the two remaining, I own a PPK and have fired a Sig 232. I like my little PPK

but the 232 is a superior firearm. Though I've never been "bit", the PPK does have a reputation for biting if you get your hand a little high. The 232, despite the awkwardness of the mag release, is a sweet shooting little gun and for an actual concealed carry pistol would be my choice of the two.

Since you are looking at 380s that aren't exactly tiny (no P3AT or LCP on your list), I thought I'd point out a couple of others.

I have a Browning BDA that I really like.

This isn't a pocket gun and you'd have to find a nice used one or NOS one but it is a nice shooting pistol and at 13+1, it offers decent firepower.

Another one would be the Beretta Cheetah (80) series.

These are available in 8+1, 10+1 & 13+1 configurations. They also are a heavier, larger gun but my wife's was an excellent shooter.

Have fun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

If you want to go small, go KelTek or Ruger LCP. Both are smaller, lighter, easier to conceal, and cheaper.

EW3
    I've owned both the P232 and the Bersa Thunder.

The Bersa is very reliable and won't give you slide bite. It's not quite as refined as the Sig, but is still a good solid pistol and costs half that of the Sig.

The P232 is very well made, but tends to "bite" the web of the hand.

I sold off the P232 and still have my Bersa.

Bersa all the way!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    I actually had a terrible experience with a Bersa Thunder Cc model I had. About 70% FTF's and a few "no bang when I pull the switch" issues. I've heard that the CC model is much worse than the standard Thunder. Personally, I will NEVER buy a Bersa again.
    You must have gotten a lemon. My Bersa 380CC has been 100% reliable and is one of my favorite guns, even though it cost 1/3 of what some of them cost. It's also one of the most accurate, even though it has virtually no sights!

Grips courtesy of Marschal Grips, Hungary.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

A vote for the PPK

I've shot all of the pistols you listed, but own the PPK. My PPK has had zero failures and is quite accurate, amazingly so considering the size and the sights.

I've wanted a P232 for years. Buddy of mine carried one and I was always jealous. Shooting his was quite similar to my PPK.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links