Bersa safety?

This is a discussion on Bersa safety? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my wife decided on a Firestorm 380 for her first carry pistol and she absolutely loves it. It's actually uber easy to shoot and ...

Thread: Bersa safety?

Bersa safety?

So my wife decided on a Firestorm 380 for her first carry pistol and she absolutely loves it. It's actually uber easy to shoot and may end up getting one myself.

But my question for those of you who carry this or have carried it is:
    Do you carry with the safety on or off? The safety switch seems so tight on this one that it seems like it would be a pain or an issue when/if SHTF. It's a double action on the first pull and I was thinking that that is a safety in and of itself (sorta).

So what are your thoughts?
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

2. Remove Ads

I carry my Thunder with the safety off. Way to stiff to keep it on.

Senior Moderator
    I carry with the safety on, but mine is not stiff
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

EW3
    If you have a good holster that covers the trigger, there is no point in keeping that tiny, stiff safety on. The first trigger pull is DA, so there is a safety factor inherent in that.

IMO, in a SHTF shooting situation, you may not be able to get the safety off in time. My vote is for leaving it off, only use it as a de-cocker.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Safety (decocker) off, round in the chamber. The longer trigger pull on the first (DA) shot should prevent any NDs, and there's also a firing pin safety thet will prevent a misfire if the gun is dropped.

This is the prevailing opinion by far over on Bersa Talk (:: Bersa Talk ::). The decocker/safety does tend to be stiff at first until it gets worked a lot and/or lubed up.

Good choice on the Bersa, you'll be really happy with it.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

I carry mine with the safety off and one in the chamber.

If you have time and the inclination you can take the safety apart and smooth out the sharp edges on the indentation where the nub of the safety fits into. I know not a great description, but when you take it apart you will see what I am talking about. Watch out for the little spring that is in there, you don't want to loose it.

But after taking down the sharp edges on the two pieces the safety is much nicer to work with.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

When I retired I decided I was going to teach myself to shoot with both hands. Not one hand at a time but the television/movie type stuff. Another grand scheme gone awry. Anyway I told you that story so I could tell you this one. I bought a matched set of ruger P90 .45 autos for this project. These guns have no safetys. They do, however have ambidextrous decockers which I really like. Now for the logistics behind double action semiauto pistols.

The double action semiauto handguns I've shot closely replicate the trigger pull of several of the revolvers I own. Since there are no safeties on a double action revolver I'm assuming (always gets me in trouble) that the semi should be handled with the safety off in the same manner as a revolver. Check the difference between the double action and subsequent shots for stiffness and travel. I believe you'll notice a significant difference. My P90s had a stiffer double action trigger pull than my Smith & Wesson which has had a trigger job.

My basic opinion? If your ability to handle a revolver with a light trigger is acceptable then you should be able to handle a semiauto with comparable trigger settings. This opens a whole new set of scenarios that you'll have to deal with both manually and mentally. No safety to operate means more speed when operating the weapon. A grip safety will also enhance the inherent safety of the semi that isn't on the revolver. In short, experiment to see what you're able to handle in the circumstances you think you'll have to deal with and do whatever you feel safe.

It does have a drop safety, The trigger has to be pulled to go BANG

Safety off one in the chamber.

VIP Member
    I never use the safety on my Bersa. Load one in the chamber, decock then top off the mag. Good to go from that point on.

Safety ON and one in the chamber
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

I carry a Firestorm 380 right now until I get a holster for my 1911. One in the chamber and safety off. That will change with the 1911 cocked and locked.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Nice to know most of you are saying what I was thinking. Many guns are DA/SA with no safety so that was my thought. Thanks for the reminder of BersaTalk.com I had forgotten about it.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

I've carried mine with the safety on up to this point, but mine is not at all stiff. A light push from the thumb and it's ready to go. Years of LE training with the berettas have safeties ingrained in my head. If yours is stiff I'd say safety off though.

I have always carried mine with the saftey OFF and one in the chamber, but of course, with the hammer down.

Links