Kahr K9 DLC - yes or no?

This is a discussion on Kahr K9 DLC - yes or no? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Finally came to the decision that my next gun will be a Kahr K9 - love the looks and the feel of it - thinking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr K9 DLC - yes or no?

Kahr K9 DLC - yes or no?

Finally came to the decision that my next gun will be a Kahr K9 - love the looks and the feel of it - thinking it will hold up better than a P9 as well.

The problem is that I'm not sure if I want one with the DLC finish or not. I DO know that I want it to have factory nitesights.

Pros:
    Kinda looks better/less light reflects off it
    Frame resists corrosion better (my hands sweat a lot)

Cons:
    Hard to find*
    Another thing to have to correct if I get a lemon**

* I've been having trouble locating an online dealer that lists a DLC'd K9 with nitesights (K9094CN)
    ** I've seen some posts where the DLC finish wasn't done correctly at the factory and had to be remedied.

So the question for those of you with DLC'd K9s - is/was it worth it?
    Glock 19, 26 & 36 | Kahr K9 & PM9 | S&W M&P9c, 642 & 640 | Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    It's really personal preference, however, I have that coating on my P9 and love the dark look. Mine has held up great over thousands of rounds and a lot of carry time. It's hard and the only thing odd about it is how it actually soaks up and holds lubricant.

I once used some CLP that was only the cleaner spray. When I was done my gun had a dull light gray color. I thought I'd ruined it!!!

I posted about it and others told me to just wipe it down with CLP (w/the lubricant) and walla! It looked like new.

I love the K9 and I think the grip is the best I've ever felt. I don't understand for the life of me why Kahr doesn't have the same grip material for their MK9 instead of hard plastic.

And if you really want to have a gun that's beautiful, you should get some wood grips for the DLC coated K9. Somehere on this site there's a thread about a DLC coated K40 that has wood grips. Search for it in this area; it's only a week or two old and wait till you see the pictures of it! it's absolutely beautiful!!

I have the regular stainless MK9 but I think the K9 is almost too much stainless.

Anyway, the good thing about stainless guns is that there are a LOT more re-finish options available down the road if you ever want to make it look like brand new again!

I have a PM-9 with the DLC finish and it has held up very well. If you don't want to take a chance, go for the stainless but I do like the black look.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have 2 K9s...one in stainless, one in DLC. I prefer the DLC...it has proven to be an exceptionally durable finish.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Shopping for my PM9, I had three specific criteria. Factory night sights, DLC slide and a decent price (the night sight/DLC is the most expensive of the bunch).

I finally found what I wanted on GunBroker.com.

FWIW, there are several companies offering good night sights for the Kahr's, so if you end up without the night sights, it's not a huge deal to add them. Personally, I really LOVE the look of the DLC.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Same here. I went with DLC and night sights on my PM9. I like the black look and so far, it's been very durable.

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm going to give the DLC a shot. The hard part is going to be finding one in the configuration I want (K9094CN). Been checking Gunbroker.com daily this past week - if anyone has any other ideas...I'm all ears

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    ...And if you really want to have a gun that's beautiful, you should get some wood grips for the DLC coated K9...

... but I think the K9 is almost too much stainless.
    That thread where another member posted their DLC'd K40 w/ wood grips is kinda what got me headed in this direction.

I have to agree about the stainless K9s being a little "too stainless" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    FWIW, there are several companies offering good night sights for the Kahr's, so if you end up without the night sights, it's not a huge deal to add them. Personally, I really LOVE the look of the DLC.
    I've thought about having the sights added after the purchase, but I was under the impression that aftermarket sights were very difficult to install on the Kahr pistols - if I am wrong about this, please set me straight.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artificialgrey
    I've thought about having the sights added after the purchase, but I was under the impression that aftermarket sights were very difficult to install on the Kahr pistols - if I am wrong about this, please set me straight.
    On that I have zero knowledge. I just know they're offered, never heard anyone discuss difficulty of installation (knew it was a simple matter on a Glock, maybe I naively thought it'd be the same). If no one here chimes in with that answer, you might want to consult a trusted local gunsmith for info and pricing.
    Last edited by T Bone; February 2nd, 2009 at 03:41 PM.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    On that I have zero knowledge. I just know they're offered, never heard anyone discuss difficulty of installation (knew it was a sinple matter on a Glock, maybe I naively thought it'd be the same). If no one here chimes in with that answer, you might want to consult a trusted local gunsmith for info and pricing.
    My understanding is that because the sight dovetails are VERY tight, the sights are very difficult to install. I just sent my MK9 slide to Kahr to have a set of Meprolight sights installed and had it back within 2 weeks.

Administrator
    I dont have a DLC Kahr, but a good friend of mine does. He is a sweaty hog, and he carries the K9 daily and shoots it a lot. He has had his for a little over a year now. His K9 look like new. Its a sharp looking gun. I say hold out for what really want, otherwise you'll just be out buying again.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DirksterG30 View Post
    My understanding is that because the sight dovetails are VERY tight, the sights are very difficult to install. I just sent my MK9 slide to Kahr to have a set of Meprolight sights installed and had it back within 2 weeks.
    Thanks for confirming that the sights installation is tough. I was pretty sure that I had heard that before and wanted to make sure

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont have a DLC Kahr, but a good friend of mine does. He is a sweaty hog, and he carries the K9 daily and shoots it a lot.
    The fact that you called your good friend a "sweaty hog" kinda cracked me up

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I say hold out for what really want, otherwise you'll just be out buying again.
    You're right about that - buy cheap or impulsively and prepare to buy twice. Going to keep an eye out for the DLC & NS K9

Thanks to everyone that posted in this thread - you all helped me come to a decision on this

Although your decision appears to be made, here's another vote for DLC + night sights. I love my PM9 with both -- DLC has been durable and the night sights a worthwhile addition.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Don't know if you'll see this but was curious if you've found the Kahr you're looking for?

I too have been hunting for this same gun. I have several dealers looking for a Kahr K9094CN, or a Marlin 1894C in .357 but there doesn't seem to be any available.

I have found a few of the Marlin's on gunbroker or gunsamerica but they're all going for $600

So I just keep looking....

I've had the same experience - haven't been able to find any K9s with all of the specs I inquired about. You're not alone in not being able to find what you're looking for...

Just thought I'd post some pics of my favorite carry gun ... LOVE IT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links