where did safetys go? - Page 2

where did safetys go?

This is a discussion on where did safetys go? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tlkolrod Now I am learning Thanks for the post I have a gun with an external safety and one with no external ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where did safetys go?

VIP Member

Some thoughts for tlkolrod

Quote Originally Posted by tlkolrod View Post
    Now I am learning
    Thanks for the post
    I have a gun with an external safety and one with no external safety. Both are perfectly safe.

I've shot revolvers, various autoloaders with different designs, and in the end it boils down to a matter of personal preference and what the gun is going to be used for. A safety can be a liability in a self-defense gun if you forget to release it during an emergency. That is why so many guns today are sold as double action only or double action/single action.

Modern guns are safe just the way they are, and there are very very few discharges that can't be attributed to a combination of no brains and negligence. Mechanical failures are very very rare in weapons which are properly maintained and tested, and returned to the manufacturer (or taken to a smith) if something is not quite right.

If you are going to buy a gun, try them out at a range and try different kinds until you learn what you feel comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    The most important safety is the squishy one between your ears.

The only gun that really "needs" a safety is a single action semiauto. Double-action and striker fired guns don't really need one, because a hammer or striker isn't fully cocked. That being said, there are many DA pistols that do have safeties, decockers, or both, and there are striker fired guns that have safeties as well.

Shoot whatever is comfortable to you.

-JT
    Thanks. I was not aware that the striker fired guns were only halfed cocked. With this design does the triger pull complete the cock and then release of the stricker?

Thanks. I was not aware that the striker fired guns were only halfed cocked. With this design does the triger pull complete the cock and then release of the stricker?
    For Glocks, yes. Not sure about other makes.

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    For Glocks, yes. Not sure about other makes.
    The SA XDs being the opposite in that they are true single action firearms. The gun is at full cock and pulling the trigger only releases the sear.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    The ultimate safety is your finger. Train the right way and you will remain safe without a ND for a very long time.
    plus one
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

The reason most people carry guns without a manual safety is that if your being attacked and you have to use your gun quickly, you may forget to flip the safety off in a moment of panic and it may cost you your life.

LIke my striker pistals trigger safeties & brain ;)

Ron
    I am in the minority here. I prefer guns, other then revolvers, with manual safetys. It is a compromise I have decided to make, ie, the possibility of forgetting to flick off the safety, against the added comfort, for me, of reducing the likelihood of a negligent discharge.

I practice my draw enough, both dry fire and at the range so that I am comfortable that it is unlikely, possible yes, that I will forget to flick off the safety. I feel that, at this point, it has become part of my muscle memory.

We all make compromises in every aspect of our lives based upon our value judgments, and this is one I have chosen to make.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0001 View Post
    The reason most people carry guns without a manual safety is that if your being attacked and you have to use your gun quickly, you may forget to flip the safety off in a moment of panic and it may cost you your life.
    I agree with the majority that your brain is the #1 safety.
    Keep your D--- trigger off the weapon till you have acquired your target.

I prefer a thumb safety as I grew up with 1911's when I first entered the service and am intimately familiar with it. Sweeping it off is a natural process after shooting one for 30+ years and is as fast for me as with any other weapon. That safety may also save your life some day if your gun is grabbed off of you. Most hoodlums do not know of the thumb safety on a 1911 or BHP (My 2 favorites) and don't carry these as the plastic gun is their weapon of choice. If they snatch it from you and the safety is engaged it can give you the extra second/seconds to regain that weapon by whatever means possible and resume the fight. Highly recommend a Retention Class for everyone who CC's.

If you are going to invest big money in a CCW YOU NEED to practice with it until drawing and firing are ingrained in your brain. I have friends who do not train and carry on a regular schedule and they are scary to me. Kind of like a 16 YO behind the wheel of a Mustang GT 500. They can drive it, but are they capable of handling it safely?

Enough rambling. A great weekend to everyone!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I am in the minority here. I prefer guns, other then revolvers, with manual safetys. It is a compromise I have decided to make, ie, the possibility of forgetting to flick off the safety, against the added comfort, for me, of reducing the likelihood of a negligent discharge.

I practice my draw enough, both dry fire and at the range so that I am comfortable that it is unlikely, possible yes, that I will forget to flick off the safety. I feel that, at this point, it has become part of my muscle memory.

We all make compromises in every aspect of our lives based upon our value judgments, and this is one I have chosen to make.
    My feelings also.................it's just tough to find a good firearm anymore (except a 1911 or revolver) with an external safety. I see the M&P9 has a thumb safety that looks similar to the 1911.

Just curious if anyone has ever looked at this statistically with the question being:
    Are you more likely (not being a police officer), of being involved in a draw and fire self defense situation than you are of being involved in a negligent/accidental discharge?
    Any math wizards out there??

I was thinking more about the gun falling out of the holster.
    May sound odd but I am sure it happens
    Thanks for the thoughts and opinions
    That's why guns without (and most with) manual safeties have firing pin blocks. Your Glock can fall out of the holster and out the window onto concrete and it's not going off... unless you try to grab for it and pull the trigger yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links