First CCW, accuracy vs size

This is a discussion on First CCW, accuracy vs size within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I'm looking to purchase my first CCW. I have experience shooting and carrying the Beretta 9mm in the USCG, but not any experience ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First CCW, accuracy vs size

First CCW, accuracy vs size

Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase my first CCW. I have experience shooting and carrying the Beretta 9mm in the USCG, but not any experience concealing. I've done as much research as my eyes could handle, and narrowed it down to 5 choices, which I shot at the range today- all 9mm except the Taurus (S&W M&Pc, Sig p250, SA XD, Walther PPS, Taurus Millenium .45). After shooting these, two finalists emerged- the M&Pc and the PPS.

The PPS is much more concealable, and I think I'd be more confident carrying it. My 'gripes' with is the trigger guard mag release is kind of weird to me, and the smaller frame size caused a wider grouping then i'm used to. The M&Pc had much tighter grouping and was more comfortable to shoot, however the slide release was really hard to depress, the recoil spring was really tight and it's significantly wider.

My newbie question is- do I go for the more initially accurate gun, or the more easily concealable one. I'm leaning towards the PPS because I think practice practice practice will help with the accuracy. Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by zuckermania View Post
    Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase my first CCW. I have experience shooting and carrying the Beretta 9mm in the USCG, but not any experience concealing. I've done as much research as my eyes could handle, and narrowed it down to 5 choices, which I shot at the range today- all 9mm except the Taurus (S&W M&Pc, Sig p250, SA XD, Walther PPS, Taurus Millenium .45). After shooting these, two finalists emerged- the M&Pc and the PPS.

The PPS is much more concealable, and I think I'd be more confident carrying it. My 'gripes' with is the trigger guard mag release is kind of weird to me, and the smaller frame size caused a wider grouping then i'm used to. The M&Pc had much tighter grouping and was more comfortable to shoot, however the slide release was really hard to depress, the recoil spring was really tight and it's significantly wider.

My newbie question is- do I go for the more initially accurate gun, or the more easily concealable one. I'm leaning towards the PPS because I think practice practice practice will help with the accuracy. Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
    well, my first gun has been the M&P9c and I'm fully satisfied. It conceals well enough for me. The slide release is pretty stiff, I very very rarely use it because of that, but it hasn't bothered me I just rack the slide. Someone else can perhaps give you insight on the PPS.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    My thoughts are that a carry gun that doesn't get carried is useless...go with whichever you think you're more likely to carry. Whichever you chose, accuracy will come once you learn your gun. I have a Taurus Mill. Pro. 40 cal. I love it. give it a try, I don't think it will let you down.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I personally would go for either the M&P or the XD I have an XD40 and love it. It's my EDC right now but will hopefully be getting a smaller weapon for summer carry. I really like the M&P line up as well though. Either of those would be great guns if they are your first personal pistol because they can be used and abused but still be reliable.

I think with a good holster either of those will disappear.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Don't get sucked into the "concealable must be small" syndrome. Many of us carry full size weapons concealed all day every day. I find the little guns less comfortable than the larger ones. The whole trick is a great holster and gun belt then a little time to break them in.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    A CCW is a combat gun not a target gun but all of the guns you listed are certainly accurate. Go with the one you like shooting and carrying the most so that you'll do lots of both!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Suggestions are great but you need to figure out your comfort gun. Practice will help you get your groups smaller so don't be afraid to buy a gun that will be more comfortable to carry. You are more apt to shelf a gun that doesn't feel ''right'' when you carry.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Don't get sucked into the "concealable must be small" syndrome. Many of us carry full size weapons concealed all day every day. I find the little guns less comfortable than the larger ones. The whole trick is a great holster and gun belt then a little time to break them in.
    +1 on that. You can carry any gun you can shoot well, just need the right holster for it and the right gun belt. The belt is just as important if not more so than the holster. Then you dress around your rig.

If you are unwilling to dress around the holster etc then you may want to look at pocket carry or something else.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I haven't shot a M&P, but the VAST majority of what I've seen reported on them has been positive. You probably shoot it better right now because it has the wide, double-stack grip like the Beretta that you're used to shooting. My wife has the PPS 9mm and I have one in 40. To this point, they have both been flawless. I have yet to take a rest to the range with them and shoot for accuracy but they are more than accurate enough for a defensive firearm and I can routinely hit a clay target at 20 yds. with either of them. The grip is much thinner than a Beretta and would definitely take some getting used to if that has been your primary handgun experience. I also am not fond of the mag release but I like the gun enough that it isn't a deal breaker for me. While it's not my EDC, I did get a UBG Canute holster for it so I can carry it and do from time to time and it is a very comfortable carry gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Have you seen everything?

I know that you are trying to focus on your best choice and narrow down a wide field of 9mm candidates, but I think you have overlooked some of the best candidates. Unless you are in a big hurry, you might want to handle and shoot the Sig P239, a Kahr P9, K9 or MK9, and a Glock 26 or 19. I have three from this list and they are all excellent choices, but small and concealable.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    My thoughts are that a carry gun that doesn't get carried is useless...go with whichever you think you're more likely to carry. Whichever you chose, accuracy will come once you learn your gun...........
    I agree.............

Comfort, dependability and power are my main concerns. Purchase something that is comfortable to carry, if you enjoy carrying full-size, then go for it. Next, make sure it has plenty of close range power and won't jam. You're virtually never gonna be involved in a long-range shootout, so long-range accuracy is not all that important for us civilians IMO.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Administrator
    "My 'gripes' with is the trigger guard mag release is kind of weird to me, and the smaller frame size caused a wider grouping then I'm used to."

If you decide to make that firearm your "daily carry" then you'll quickly get used to whatever idiosyncrasies it may have.
    Practice breeds intimate familiarity.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks!

Thanks for all the feedback. The Taurus was actually fun to shoot, but the thing failed to extract my fourth round (out of 8...). Not to confidence inspiring. Unfortunately the range didn't have the P239 or G19, otherwise they'd be on the tryout list as well. I'm going to let this debate continue raging on inside my head for a little while longer. No need to make snap decisions.

i have a xd9sc. great weapon. great cc.

I like the PPS a lot, except for that stupid back strap safety...but just never take it off, and you'll be fine, heh.
    one other problem w/ the PPS: Magazines for it are twice that of pretty much any other gun, and I'd personally want the longest of the 3 sizes...which, coincidentally, is not shipped with the gun.
    I've pretty much decided I'm getting a glock for now, and maybe pick up that PPS down the road if I decide the Glock is too big.

From everything I've researched, the glock wins in the weight department (vs. comparable double stacks, that is).
    I think weight is a factor that many people seem to overlook...the PPS is going to be much lighter, but you pay for it...everything costs more $.
    Then again, there are quite a few more options if you're getting 9mm vs 40S&W. Have you check out the Kel Tec PF 9?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links