4" S&W model 66 - to big for woman to carry?

This is a discussion on 4" S&W model 66 - to big for woman to carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had this 4" S&W model 66 in stainless for 10-12 years, and am pretty comfortable with it. Have not shot a ton through it, ...

Thread: 4" S&W model 66 - to big for woman to carry?

I've had this 4" S&W model 66 in stainless for 10-12 years, and am pretty comfortable with it. Have not shot a ton through it, but enough that I am good with it. Edited to add that I have to use Crimson Trace grips due to not being able to raise my arms up correctly to use the regular sights.

Took my CCW class a few months ago, got my license in early Dec., and figured the 66 was to big to carry well, and bought a new S&W 649 in stainless, shortly after my license came. I have a nerve disease, and my off hand is weak - I cannot rack a slide. With my good hand, I can't even pull a hammer back so semi- auto is out of the question. I can do double action fine though on both guns. The 649 seemed to fit the bill. I have not had it very long, in fact have not even had the chance to go to the range to shoot it yet. I've been carrying it though.

Then, I started faithfully reading this forum... and figured out it has the internal lock. Geez! Bummer. When I bought it I had no idea there was such a thing! Gun store did NOT point it out. GRRR. I like revolvers for their simplicity... I didn't need a lock - especially one that might fail!

What I want to know is - is the 66 really to big for a woman to carry??? I'm wondering if I should think of the 66 as a primary, and carry the 649 as a BUG. Or, maybe even sell the 649 and look for an older one or another brand. Friend has a Taurus I like a lot, but it is a heavy son of a gun. Built like a tank!

Due to the nerve problem, I need to carry cross draw, or from 12-3'oclock. No strength past 3.

I feel like the 66 is an old friend... and now I am doubting the 649. Heck I am not even sure if it's in a locked state or not. I have been dry firing it - so I **assume** it is not locked... I just spent a couple hours looking up on this forum about the locks this morning before I went to work. Tomorrow I will dig out the box it came in and find the "key" and see if I can figure out the lock to be sure it's unlocked. Still, am thinking if it's dry firing it should be unlocked. Gun store put crimson trace on it, sighted in for me, so am hoping they left it unlocked.

While waiting on my holster to arrive from HBE, I have been purse or pocket carrying the 649 - I really don't want to continue with that. I want to carry on-body. Continuing to purse carry might work for BUG though.

What do you think? Would the 66 work for primary? I am not a slim young curvy woman... I am 50 and plump. LOL
    Last edited by PrimalScream; January 30th, 2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: clarity - and again to add about CT grips

If you use a cover garment with slim grips on the gun in a crossdraw holster you should be able to conceal it.
    As far as the lock on the other gun IIRC you cannot drop the hammer when it's locked.somebody came up with a nifty fix to get rid of the lock in another thread on here but it would require somebody thats able to do some tinkering IE mechanically inclined
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am not so sure of the the legal aspects of fiddling with the lock - don't think I would be comfortable with that. In my CCW class, they advised us not to take scissors to holsters and things along that line, and somehow, I think making the lock non-working could come back to bite you in court if it came to that. I am just bummed that I didn't know enough to realize it had one, and that the store didn't tell me about it.

A set of Hogue Monogrips will help to slim it down.

Link
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I understand the grips slimming it down. I neglected to mention that I need to have Crimson Trace on my handguns because due to damage from the nerve disease, I can't lift my arms up to the correct level to sight down the regular sights.

Edited above post.

Well I'll say this.

I'm a 6' 220 pound male and I carry a 4" model 19. Esentially the same pistol as yours but not stainless.

But only during the cool season while wearing jackets, parka's or sweatshirts.

Even with the thinner aftermarket grips it conceals poorly without the heavy outerwear.

In warmer wether I opt for my 3" Kimber .45 which hides very well IWB. under a T shirt.

VIP Member
    Hey nothing wrong with 50's and plump, I fit that description myself. I tell my wife the gray hair and love handles make me look distinguished!

As to your gun dilemma. I see no problem with the model 4" model 66. Your comfortable with the gun and shoot it well. With the proper cover garment and holster you shouldn't have a problem. If possible I would suggest a IWB cross draw holster.

As to the 649, it sounds like you don't have confidence in it. If you don't trust your gun your not going to want to carry it. Granted you said you haven't had it to the range yet, but you do have issues with it having the internal lock on it. I personally don't like a gun with a built in lock system on it either.

I know I haven't really answered your question, but hope I gave you some insight for you to make your decision.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. It is all in knowing how to dress around the weapon.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

The easiest way, for me, to conceal the 4" 66, is in a Don Hume, or Black Widow belt slide.

It holds the grip in close, and the barrel lays against my thigh. It is a remarkably fast draw as well. I have done this under untucked Polo shirts and it works well.

I see no reason it would not work as well for a female.

Sell the 649 and get yourself a pre lock J-frame, or better yet a 2.5" model 66. Sounds like the solution to your problems! Good luck! Regards 18DAI.

My wife is 5'7" and 120lbs and is finally going for her CC class. She has her choice of any gun I have to carry. Her favorite is my 4" 686, she has been toting around the house and with a light weight sweater it completely disappears on her. Carry what you feel comfortable with, not what someone on a internet forum tells you to wear.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

VIP Member

Can you fire the 66 with your left hand?

Don't forget that on the street is not like at the range. You may required to fire left handed due to the circumstances at the time. If you cannot fire the 66 left handed but can fire the 649, that should end the debate.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I think Lima Tunes is probably the prime example of a little lady carrying a BIG gun, successfully concealed. Some of the pictures she has shown of what and how she carries have baffled me for how effective she is with it.

With that said, you would be amazed at how large a gun you can carry if you just take the time to figure out how to "accessorize" properly for the gun so that it conceals well, even given your physical limitations.

Just give it a try. I usually find that the barrell, regardless of length, is the easiest part to hide. The grip is where it gets tricky.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I generally tote my 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model 10 IWB in an old off-brand English made holster. It's the same dimensionally as your Model 66. I really like the 4-inch .38 Special or .357 Magnum K-Frame guns from Smith & Wesson. They're easy to shoot well which is more important to me than teensy dimensions or flea weight.

I'd get the lock disabled and never look back if I was intending to tote your Model 66.

It's ok to be 50. I was there last year.

Sponsored Links