Defensive Carry banner

M&Pc or XD Sub for Concealed Carry

6K views 53 replies 41 participants last post by  Tn Mitch 
#1 ·
I'm about to get my CCW license, and am in the market for a subcompact gun. I currently have a XD-M .40 in the house, but it's a little big for daily carry for me since I have an office job and wear dockers and button-ups.

The Kimbers and like guns are too pricey for me, so I figured I'd get a XD .40 subcompact...because it would take the same ammo and operate just like my XD-M. One problem is that nobody has them.

SO....I started looking at like-priced options. I'm not a real Glock fan, and I've never had an S&W product. So I came across the S&W M&P .40.

Since I'm a pretty patient person, if you all say the XD subby is better, I'll wait until I find one.
But I'd really like everyones opinion that's familiar with these two guns as to which is better for concealed carry, and why you like it better.

Thanks much...and I'm new here by the way, so excuse me if it's a repost...I didn't find anything on it in the search that was this specific.

#2 ·
Welcome!

First off, welcome to the forum. Secondly, I can only speak from the point of an XD-40 subcompact owner. I have never handled/shot an M&P series gun, but they get good reviews. The XD-40 subcompact has been great for me. I find it easy to conceal, even though it is thicker than some of the other smaller pistols out there. I normally wear khakis with a button up shirt (tucked in) and the XD hasn't been a problem, though you do need to bloom your shirt a little more than normal. I also added the pearce grip extensions to my mags which made if fit perfect in my hand. My suggestion is try to find a range with both that you can rent/shoot and see which you like better. If you can't shoot both, definitely try and handle both before buying. Both are good guns, you just need to find what fits you well.

#3 ·
I have the XDM-40, and the XDsc-40. Love them both, the holster I use is a Don Hume IWB. Its made for the Sub Compact but the XDm will fit good also...the barrel just hangs out past the holster but its inside my pants so no worrys.

Attachments

#4 ·
Well, I've owned both. You just can't go wrong with either choice! If you can go to a range that rents, try them both and then pick.
I carry a S&W M&P .40c now, only because I like the way it feels in my hand, and that is the only reason that I can give.

#8 ·
I carry a XD9sc and I love it. Frist time I picked it up it felt right and I quit looking from there on. The XD points and shoots where I am looking and for me that is what, one is looking for in a cc weapon, something you can shoot and make good hits without really having to sight that much in the 0-10 yd range. I have never had an MP in my hand but my 2 cents is XD.

#9 ·
Can't go wrong with either. I have a XD45C and a M&P9C which I prefer over the XD sub compact. Fits my hand perfectly and easy to conceal. I'm thinking that you need to handle both guns and if possible shoot them. From what I've read and some folks I know say the recoil on the M&P40C is pretty mild.
Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide.

#12 ·
I've carried an M&P40c for over a year now and couldn't be happier. But the suggestion to find a range that will let you rent them and compare side-by-side is spot on. For me, unless it's outrageous, price comes after comfort/shootability. If you can't hold it or shoot it, saving or splurging on it was a waste.

#16 ·
Cobrar,

I have the M&P9c and love it.
Carry it daily, for hours at a time, and rarely know it's there.
Love the reliability, how well it shoots and how good it feels in my hand.

But, the issue is...

what works for YOU.

Call around. Find someone who will let you rent, borrow and shoot both. Then you decide. Both are great weapons, as you can tell from the replies you have already received.

#17 ·
When I was in the market for a new carry gun I went to a local range that had all 3 guns I was interested in: Glock 30, M&P, and XD. I tried all 3, I loved the Glock, liked the XD, and disliked the M&P. The M&P just felt cheap to me, almost like it was trying to be the Glock or XD. But thats just my opinion, I would suggest renting the guns you're interested in. Good luck.

#18 ·
I bought the 9mm XDSC as my first carry gun. I thought the M&P felt better, but I liked the grip and trigger safties on the XD better. I love how it shoots, never had any problems. You could probably feed gravel through that thing! My only issue is that at work in a business-casual dress environment I have to wear it with an IWB hoster (using Crossbreed Supertuck). Sometimes it just feels a bit thick, although I don't find it especially difficult to conceal.

#20 ·
I have the M&P 40c, my friend has the XDsc-40. Upon firing and handling both, I decided that while I like the XD, I love the MP. The smith is the most ergonomically sound autopistol I have ever touched, and I really love it's trigger pull. The XD has a longer throw to reach the bang spot, and that kinda threw me off. But, that's just me.

#22 ·
I can only vouch for the M&P as that is what I own (3 right now). The XD just does not seem to fit my hand very well (especially the compact). Seeing as you are unable to find a XD then shoot the M&P or at least handle it.

You can get them with or without the thumb safety and with or without the safety lock. I personally prefer them to NOT have either of the safetys as this is what I am used to and comfortable with. I carry my M&P45c everyday and love that gun!

#23 ·
I found the compact M&P fit my hand better than the compact XD, but that the fullsize XD fit my hand better than the fullsize M&P. Thus I'll add my voice to those who have suggested trying to rent both guns you're interested in and see which feels best.

#24 ·
cobrar97, welcome to the forum.

In comparing the 2, I found the M&P fit my hand much better than the XD. I also wasn't crazy about the XDs grip safety and higher bore axis. I ended up with an M&P9c for carry, and a M&P full-size 9 as well. As others have said, though, it would be best if you could try out both at the range to see which works best for you.

#25 ·
Tough choice... I did the same comparison some time ago... I went to a local gun show at a gun shop/range... you can check out any gun, one at a time, and take it to the range, pay for ammo and the range cost is free... good deal... anyways I compared both the M&P 40c and the XDsc 40... personally, I felt the I shoot the M&P better, but that was in the first year of the M&P... did some searches back then and the M&P had too many issues, but that was a year or two ago... have they fixed all of those issues I don't know.

I like having the same carry guns, so I have muscle memory... you know the reset points... that's why all of my carry gun are Glocks right now... easy for me to feel comfortable with whatever I'm carrying.

If you have the XDm... you might want to get the XDsc... recommend you go to the range and find out for yourself.

#27 ·
Tough choice... I did the same comparison some time ago... I went to a local gun show at a gun shop/range... you can check out any gun, one at a time, and take it to the range, pay for ammo and the range cost is free... good deal... anyways I compared both the M&P 40c and the XDsc 40... personally, I felt the I shoot the M&P better, but that was in the first year of the M&P... did some searches back then and the M&P had too many issues, but that was a year or two ago... have they fixed all of those issues I don't know.
I like having the same carry guns, so I have muscle memory... you know the reset points... that's why all of my carry gun are Glocks right now... easy for me to feel comfortable with whatever I'm carrying.

If you have the XDm... you might want to get the XDsc... recommend you go to the range and find out for yourself.

I doubt that you will find to many issues with the M&Ps that are made today. I understand that the issues were with a VERY few of the VERY early models. I have had 4 and 0 issues to date, after thousands of rounds through 3 of them (4th only had 2-300).

#29 ·
I currently have an M&P 9c as my carry and I love it. When I got it, I went to the the gun show wanting an XDsc. I already have a full size M&P in .40 and wanted a little variety. Held the XDsc, then held the M&Pc and I just couldn't get over how great the M&P felt in my hands, especially with the mag with the pinky extension. The XD just didn't feel as balanced to me - so I picked up my second M&P and haven't regretted it - extremely accurate, not a single failure with all sorts of ammo through it. But that's me - in the end you can't go wrong with either - get whichever and practice. Pick up a few extra mags too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.