M&Pc or XD Sub for Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on M&Pc or XD Sub for Concealed Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm about to get my CCW license, and am in the market for a subcompact gun. I currently have a XD-M .40 in the house, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: M&Pc or XD Sub for Concealed Carry

Question M&Pc or XD Sub for Concealed Carry

I'm about to get my CCW license, and am in the market for a subcompact gun. I currently have a XD-M .40 in the house, but it's a little big for daily carry for me since I have an office job and wear dockers and button-ups.

The Kimbers and like guns are too pricey for me, so I figured I'd get a XD .40 subcompact...because it would take the same ammo and operate just like my XD-M. One problem is that nobody has them.

SO....I started looking at like-priced options. I'm not a real Glock fan, and I've never had an S&W product. So I came across the S&W M&P .40.

Since I'm a pretty patient person, if you all say the XD subby is better, I'll wait until I find one.
    But I'd really like everyones opinion that's familiar with these two guns as to which is better for concealed carry, and why you like it better.

Thanks much...and I'm new here by the way, so excuse me if it's a repost...I didn't find anything on it in the search that was this specific.

2. Remove Ads

BJC

Welcome!

First off, welcome to the forum. Secondly, I can only speak from the point of an XD-40 subcompact owner. I have never handled/shot an M&P series gun, but they get good reviews. The XD-40 subcompact has been great for me. I find it easy to conceal, even though it is thicker than some of the other smaller pistols out there. I normally wear khakis with a button up shirt (tucked in) and the XD hasn't been a problem, though you do need to bloom your shirt a little more than normal. I also added the pearce grip extensions to my mags which made if fit perfect in my hand. My suggestion is try to find a range with both that you can rent/shoot and see which you like better. If you can't shoot both, definitely try and handle both before buying. Both are good guns, you just need to find what fits you well.

I have the XDM-40, and the XDsc-40. Love them both, the holster I use is a Don Hume IWB. Its made for the Sub Compact but the XDm will fit good also...the barrel just hangs out past the holster but its inside my pants so no worrys.
    Attached Images
    Springfield XDm-40
    XDsc-40

Id like to fly...but my wings have been so denied!!!

Well, I've owned both. You just can't go wrong with either choice! If you can go to a range that rents, try them both and then pick.
    I carry a S&W M&P .40c now, only because I like the way it feels in my hand, and that is the only reason that I can give.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

You can't go wrong with an XD!
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Luv my XD9sc!!
    Attached Images
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

One thing about the XDsc...I cannot find them to buy anywhere...especially at a reasonable price.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I carry a XD9sc and I love it. Frist time I picked it up it felt right and I quit looking from there on. The XD points and shoots where I am looking and for me that is what, one is looking for in a cc weapon, something you can shoot and make good hits without really having to sight that much in the 0-10 yd range. I have never had an MP in my hand but my 2 cents is XD.

Can't go wrong with either. I have a XD45C and a M&P9C which I prefer over the XD sub compact. Fits my hand perfectly and easy to conceal. I'm thinking that you need to handle both guns and if possible shoot them. From what I've read and some folks I know say the recoil on the M&P40C is pretty mild.
    Good luck with your choice and let us know what you decide.

I carry a M&P 40c and it is very easy to carry, reliable, fits my hand perfect and low recoil for a 40.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I think my first post here asked the same question as related to a BUG.
    Honestly both are great and it just came down to what brand I already owned.
    You can see what camp I'm in:
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I've carried an M&P40c for over a year now and couldn't be happier. But the suggestion to find a range that will let you rent them and compare side-by-side is spot on. For me, unless it's outrageous, price comes after comfort/shootability. If you can't hold it or shoot it, saving or splurging on it was a waste.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Dbltap...with the newest M&Pc...how does the safety work. I'm used to my SA grip-safety or an old style thumb-safety. I'm unclear about what the M&Pc uses as a safety.

The M&Ps have a thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    Dbltap...with the newest M&Pc...how does the safety work. I'm used to my SA grip-safety or an old style thumb-safety. I'm unclear about what the M&Pc uses as a safety.
    Mine is the 303 model. No safety's or internal locks. YRMV.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links