Help me build a Custom BBQ Gun

This is a discussion on Help me build a Custom BBQ Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am starting my search for my first custom BBQ gun. So I am looking for a .45 auto, though Gun Crafters .50 handgun is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me build a Custom BBQ Gun

I am starting my search for my first custom BBQ gun. So I am looking for a .45 auto, though Gun Crafters .50 handgun is in the running
    I am looking for
    A) Recommendations for a gun to start with
    B) A pistol smith to to build the gun
    C) An engraver to do some custom engraving
    D) One off custom grip suggestions
    E) A holster maker that does original custom holster designs
    F) Any add ons or must haves you can think off
    along with any thoughts or suggestions you may have. Obviously I want a gun that is 100% reliable dead on accurate gun ie one that works. That is a real eye popping one off beauty, one that makes your heart go pitter patter. Simple elegant classy not some gaudy gold and jeweled pimp gun. Last please lets skip the I do not need a high end custom gun for SD or it is a waste of money. I know all that I do not need it stuff. I have made the decision it is time for my once in a lifetime dream gun. Thanks, now lets have some fun with this
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

If you haven't looked already, check out Fusion Firearms. I was very happy with their service and if you let them know what your general criteria is, they will give you a parts list and quote and you can make any changes you wish.

Fusion Firearms

Here is a link to a custom build that they happen to have in stock...

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servle...dsh-088/Detail
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Grips for a BBQ gun to me, something natural seems almost mandatory. Ivory (real ivory), stag, Mastadon or such.... or Water Buffalo horn (carved maybe?) if you like them dark.

For smith, Jason Burton has done some amazing work I've seen pictures of. Working with Alan Yoast. I don't know on the engraving, I'd imagine someone will come along here shortly.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I just love spending other peoples money. Don't know what you like, but here's what I'd do if I had the funds to do it.

Gun -- I'd start out with a Springfield Loaded, Parkerized finish (because finish isn't important). Actually, I don't know if they'd do this, but I'd call SA and see if I could get them to sell me one in the white to save time and hassle.

Once I've got the gun, send it to Jim Downing and let him scratch it up. Hardest part here would be picking out a style and design.

Next, the gun goes to Ford's Custom Refinishing for either a Bright Black Nickel finish or a Master Blue finish.

Next, I call Sarge at Sarge's Grips and get a set of these or these. He's got so many great looking grips, I may just have to get 7 sets and change them out every day.

And lastly, I call Nate at UBG Holsters and get an exotic holster, probably Python.

Well, that sums up what I'd do. My luck, after all that the darn thing would shoot 6" groups at 10 yds.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Heirloom Precision

Accept no substitute.

From the engraving by J.R. French (if you like engraving) to the 19th century duel-pistols style custom cases, these guys build the ultimate 'court'/'BBQ' pistols. And, of course, they'll take it as an insult if you don't carry it every day anyway. They're not just pretty, they work.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Two words:

Roger's Precision

Check out his threads on this forum under the name pistolwretch.

His work ain't cheap, but you didn't give a price.

As for a starting gun and whatnot, if you go with him, I'm sure he'd tell you what he'd prefer to work on...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Grips for a BBQ gun to me, something natural seems almost mandatory. Ivory (real ivory), stag, Mastadon or such.... or Water Buffalo horn (carved maybe?) if you like them dark.

For smith, Jason Burton has done some amazing work I've seen pictures of. Working with Alan Yoast. I don't know on the engraving, I'd imagine someone will come along here shortly.
    Don't know where my brain was, but it obviosly was not on track when I wrote that.... I totally Butchered the name of one of the best 'Smiths around. That should have read Ted Yost, and of course the firm is indeed Heirloom Precision as linked above by Joffe.

Rogers Precision (Pistolwretch) is another great choice for some fine work. Funny, both Pistolwretch and Jason Burton of Heirloom are Moderators on a 1911 Forum on a differrent site. That is where I've seen much of their top notch work.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

How about this BBQ Gun?

What is a BBQ gun?

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators10 View Post
    What is a BBQ gun?
    The LawDog Files: Court guns and BBQ guns.

Thank you very much for the help I have been having a blast looking at the links, posted. Still looking so I am sure I have missed things. I will be contacting the smith you have suggested. What I want to do is gather the top of the line parts slide frame, trigger, barrel, etc than have them hand fitted, finished and assembled. So I am up to hearing about parts recommendations too.

My preferred finish will be case hardened, like this Olympic Arms 1911

but I am leery about using their frame, slides or gun as a foundation based on all the bad reviews about their quality control. Even if someone else is going to hand fit and finish it. Plus I believe their case hardening is a finish not actual cased hardened. Doug Turnbull and Ford's Custom Guns look like they can handle it. Hopefully they will do the small parts hammer, safety and trigger and not just the slide and frame. I also like the nitre blue finish I saw on this revolver on Ford's Custom Guns site

and of course black nickel is pretty hot.

As far as engraving what I am looking for is some accent engraving Von Dutch like pin striping with a raven motive if you can picture that

Lots of really nice wood grips out there but T-Bone hit the nail on the head with the Mastodon grips. Exactly what I have had in mind since I saw some knives with Mastodon handles. I think they would be perfect with a case hardened finish. Now to find someone who does an excellent job of making Mastodon grips. The Mammoth tooth grips at The Finer Grain and Sarge's Grips are really nice maybe an option if he will do a one off for me and lose the wood. They are nice but not exactly what I am looking for.

Please Keep up with the ideas coming I have a couple of months to get it figured out and researched before I start ordering parts and get the process going.

Than the very long wait will begin

Danimal
    Actually that was posted before. It'd be great to have but as I recall it is not available for purchase

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Might want to contact the Smith first. They generally take care of getting the high quality parts. Generally you just ship them your base gun (I strongly suggest Colt). If not a Colt, maybe a Caspian frame and slide.

The Color Case process is beautiful. I've only seen pics of it on a 1911 in two instances. The Oly's you mentioned (stay away) and Bill Wilson did a very few signature Models at Wilson Combat (but he did the frame only). Speaking of, don't you think the frame and slide would be a bit busy? Especially with the Mastadon? Just a thought, maybe consider the slide in something like that awesome Blue at Ford's.

But hey, it's your dream gun. Certainly no compromise can be made. Get it how you want it!
    Regards, T Bone.

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Might want to contact the Smith first. They generally take care of getting the high quality parts. Generally you just ship them your base gun (I strongly suggest Colt). If not a Colt, maybe a Caspian frame and slide.
    I swear I answered this last night
    That is part of why I am asking about smiths to find a good one who will put together a gun based on parts I select rather than assemble one from their companies parts. I really do not know squat about this whole process. It is my first and likely my last custom gun. Of course if a smith says a part I selected is crap or there is say a better trigger available I am open to listening to them. Why a Colt?

I was thinking the Case Hardened Finish would match the Mastodon even though the patterns are busy they would work together for a cohesive look. Give the gun a kind of ancient antique Mad Max look. But I looked at your idea and did a couple of quick photo shopped sketches of what it may look like. Interested in what all your thoughts are

More important what about parts who makes the best trigger, extractors, springs, barrels and all of that "stuff" I am quickly getting over whelmed doing my net research. I know there are more than a few 1911 fanatics here that have probably forgotten more about 1911 than I will ever know. Lets hear what you know what would you put on your gun?

As for all the internals that's something you can have the smith advise you on, that's kinda their job.. Knowing what works.

I know Ted Yost and co. do a lot of their own internals (like all the firing mechanism parts inside the 1911, they make those in-house), and they mostly use Kart barrels. Of course you could go around and decide on every little internal part yourself and they're not gonna have a problem with that unless you ask them to use Sarco metal injection molded sears and whatnot.. But, personally, I'd rely on the lifetime experience of someone like Yost than my own few months of research on the internet for that.

Some of the cool things you could get on a full house custom that aren't too common, at least not on production guns..

Sharkskin stippling
    Custom TIG welded 'low' thumb safety lever, for riding the lever with the thumb
    Short beavertail - more ergonomical than the GI tang, less overt than a regular beavertail
    24K gold line front sight - more visible than a white dot, not as shiny or 'modern' as a tritium dot
    etc etc.. These are just some of the ideas I've noticed for my own purposes. (for that 'one day' when I can escape commie occupied Europe and buy myself a beautiful handgun) The possibilities are endless, really.

Some galleries/forums where you can get ideas:
    Heirloom Precision
    Harrison Custom :: Photo Gallery
    Louderthanwords : View forum - Custom Pistols

I like that one.. Although, I hear there's a reason guns with color case hardened slides are rare. Doesn't hurt to ask, though, if Oly can do it somehow surely someone else can as well..

I like the way the case hardening on this one looks.
    Last edited by joffe; February 2nd, 2009 at 07:15 PM.

That is some really great photoshop work! And the Mastodon looks better with the color case than I expected. MY favorite of these is a combination/two tone of either the Master blued frame or slide or the black nickle frame or slide with the opposite component in color case. Of course the color case finish will vary, and the Mastodon grips will vary greatly. And that is MY preference, which certainly shouldn't affect yours.

I think Joffe covered the parts very well. The 'smith you entrust the project too will have a good idea what are the best parts to use, and will be open to obtaining those you want as long as they are quality (and may steer you towards better pieces based on experience). One that is nearly universal is he Kart barrel and bushing. I think it's safe to say that the majority of quality 1911 builders out there use these in their customs.

As to why Colt? They were the standard for a long time. They are still considered one of the highest quality out of the box 1911s anywhere. If you read the FAQ at Heirloom Precision's site, they state Colt is their preferred base gun (but they'll work with other quality pieces also). It's partly one of tradition I'm sure. But quality is also a factor.

If you want something different, you might want to have a look at Caspian for the frame and slide. Another top choice for a "from scratch" custom gun.
    Regards, T Bone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links