Glock question: what's w/ the trigger safety?

This is a discussion on Glock question: what's w/ the trigger safety? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The trigger safety acts as an inertial safety. It is designed to prevent the trigger bar from moving to the rear if the pistol were ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock question: what's w/ the trigger safety?

The trigger safety acts as an inertial safety. It is designed to prevent the trigger bar from moving to the rear if the pistol were to impact some surface after a fall.

Note that the firing pin safety is disengaged when the trigger bar moves to the rear, whether it is moved to the rear by action of a finger or inertia. In other words, the FP safety will not prevent the gun from discharging in this case.

Even though it would take a significant fall for the firing mechanism to be activated by inertia of the internal parts (trigger bar / firing pin) it is not wise to remove the trigger safety. That said, I am not aware of any court case regarding a justified self defense shooting where the removal of a safety device caused unnecessary burden on the shooter. I understand the thought process behind this and would like to see some cases where it has happened.

The firing pin spring in the glock design is compressed approximately 58% when the trigger bar is in the forward position. I was curious to know if this amount of compression was enough to detonate a primer. Now, understand, the series of events that would have to occur for the firing pin to be allowed to move forward from this position are very, very, very unlikely (dare I say "not possible") to happen, yet, I still wanted to know.

Without going into all of the details of *how*, I modified some and removed other safeties from the pistol and had it in a condition where I could manually release the firing pin from the trigger bar. I tried 5 primed cases and all 5 primers were detonated on the first attempt. I am satisfied that the amount of compression on the firing pin spring is more than adequate to detonate a primer should the impossible actually happen.

Randy

2. Remove Ads

Glock trigger safety

I've never owned a glock but the so called trigger safety has always seemed odd to me. The redesigned Ruger SR9 now has what looks like an identical setup. Here's my problem. If it is designed to somehow prevent discharge upon the gun being droppped that's fine. But how could it possibly prevent the gun from being fired if something accidently gets inside the trigger guard and presses to the rear. That's not really a safety and to call it one is nothing more than advertising invention. "Safe action trigger"? Yeh, it goes bang when you pull the trigger whether you meant to or not.

Before anyone says I'm wimpy on safeties my preferrence is no safety of any kind other than internal. My holster is my safety.

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    But how could it possible prevent the gun from being fired if something accidently gets inside the trigger guard and presses to the rear.
    It isn't designed to prevent the gun from discharging if something were to get inside the trigger guard. That isn't the purpose of it at all.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I must admit, I don't understand it either. Anything capable of moving the trigger is capable of moving the trigger safety also. Be it a fall, snag, bump, whatever, therefore it is NO safety.
    If the pistol were to drop with sufficient force to move the trigger rearward, the force would also release the trigger safety. I don't get it.
    Actually, one reason Glock's (and other trigger safeties) are so small is to reduce mass, which reduces the resulting forces acting on it in a mishap. The gun would have to strike the ground or other immovable object at a very high velocity (many many times that of any normal drop, fight or strike would produce) to have the resulting inertia be enough to disengage the trigger safety. Of course, I'm sure the engineers at Glock calculated this to start with and then did a lot of T&E. It would be interesting to hear from Glock to remind us of just how safe this system is.

I trust my Glock's safety just as much as any others.

BUT:
    One of the most dangerous times (to me) that a trigger type safety can be defeated and have an AD is during reholstering. Let a piece of clothing, or a finger tip get in the trigger guard as it goes into the holster and BANG.

Jim
    Last edited by jbailey; January 31st, 2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Sp
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

training ≠ getting used to how a gun feels

sheesh...I've heard of brand loyalty, but glock owners are worse than mac owners.

Randy, jbailey: excellent responses!
    Randy: interesting experiment and results.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    While all the Kahrs I've owned or fired have nice triggers, they are much different than the trigger of a XD or PPS (can't speak to Glock or M&P as never owned or fired one) in the amount of pull force and travel distance. Without the trigger safety, the pull weight and travel would have to be increased to prevent a possible firing from a drop, although the XD has the grip safety that should negate the possibility. And even if the gun has a firing pin block, it wouldn't prevent the gun from firing if a drop on the heel produced enough inertia to move the trigger as trigger movement disengages the firing pin safety.

In all honesty, I'm surprised you would even notice the presence of the trigger safety. I've always considered myself to have fairly sensitive fingertips. All of my varmint/target rifles have trigger pulls that measure in ounces (8-14) and my competition single action cowboy guns have triggers in the 1# range but I don't even notice the little spring loaded safety on the triggers of the XD & PPS. It just seems like a non-issue to me and I'd suggest you get used to the idea of them. Savage is even putting their Accu-Trigger on their inexpensive 22s now and I think you'll see more and more rifle manufacturers going to this style of trigger. It allows them to give you a much nicer, lighter & adjustable trigger pull out of the box and get around the lawyer inspired heavy triggers.

Hoss
    An inertial safety to compensate for a light trigger makes a lot of sense...I haven't shot a Kahr or a Sig P250, or any other striker fired weapon w/out the inertial trigger safety, and if your theory is correct it would suggest that these weapons have heavier triggers?

In all honesty: I think it may be something I just have to get used to. The contrast of going from a 226 w/ an SRT trigger to a Glcok 23 was a vast...I wasn't expecting there to be such a huge difference in feel, and just happened to notice the trigger difference the most.

Quote Originally Posted by batpot View Post
    it would take an EXTREME force for the trigger to move all the way back from a fall...such a force would almost certainly destroy the polymer housing first...

But good point on disabling a safety; definitely not worth it....guess that means Glock is OUT.

The M&P trigger (which I haven't shot) is slightly different than the XD, PPS, or Glock.

I guess I just need to keep renting guns until I find the perfect one
    ...or just get a 239 deal with the extra weight and be done with it, heh.
    You CAN file down the trigger safety so it sits flush with the trigger when pulled to the rear, but STILL ENGAGES when not pulled. Or there are a number of aftermarket triggers which when pulled move the trigger safety flush with the face of the trigger so you don't feel a bump.

Just a thought.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links