Glock question: what's w/ the trigger safety?

This is a discussion on Glock question: what's w/ the trigger safety? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shot a Glock 23 for the first time today...not comfortable at all. If I were to purchase a glock, I would shave down all of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock question: what's w/ the trigger safety?

Shot a Glock 23 for the first time today...not comfortable at all.
    If I were to purchase a glock, I would shave down all of the cross thatching on the grip, but first I'd replace that STUPID trigger w/ a safety-less one (assuming that is possible, ahem...is it?)

Sig got it right: don't pull the trigger, and the gun can't fire.

Apparently, Glock thinks that there is some way to accidentally put enough pressure on the trigger to fire it w/out also disengaging that inner-trigger safety? Seems impossible to me.
    ...and it's not just glock, either. Springfield XD, S&W M&P, and the Walther PPS all utilize this kind of inner-trigger safety.
    Can someone explain to me why this is a necessary safety measure?

The trigger safety, or toggle, is there to ensure the gun can not fire if the gun is dropped. The trigger can not move to the rear with out the trigger being pressed.

And FYI, if you did buy one, or any gun and in some way disable any safety feature of the gun, then have to use that gun to defend yourself, you will be sued and you will lose badly. It is a generally known principal that you do not disable a safety feature. A trial lawyer will size on that fact and use it to show a jury that you were so blood thirsty that you actually made the gun LESS safe that the evil gun company originally built this murder tool.

If you do that like the trigger, don't buy one. Disable a safety and it will hang you in court.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

now, I have never shot a Glock, but I really don't see how that trigger style can mess with anything. My Smith and Wesson has a type of trigger safety and when I shoot, I don't even notice it.

Agree with Mike though, to disable a safety feature originally implemented in a firearm sounds like disaster waiting to happen.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

it would take an EXTREME force for the trigger to move all the way back from a fall...such a force would almost certainly destroy the polymer housing first...

But good point on disabling a safety; definitely not worth it....guess that means Glock is OUT.

The M&P trigger (which I haven't shot) is slightly different than the XD, PPS, or Glock.

I guess I just need to keep renting guns until I find the perfect one
    ...or just get a 239 deal with the extra weight and be done with it, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by batpot View Post
    it would take an EXTREME force for the trigger to move all the way back from a fall...such a force would almost certainly destroy the polymer housing first...

But good point on disabling a safety; definitely not worth it....guess that means Glock is OUT.

The M&P trigger (which I haven't shot) is slightly different than the XD, PPS, or Glock.

Give the M&P a shot (pun intended) Chances are if you don't like the trigger style on those, the M&P trigger safety won't bother you. I really don't every notice it.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Actually, since the Glock, and maybe the XD as well is considered a partially cocked striker, in other words, the striker is kind of half way cocked all the time, it wouldn't take as much of a jolt as you might think to set it off with a drop straight down onto the back or the front of the gun. Thus the integrated trigger safety.

As for the M&P, it has the same type of trigger. It also has an integrated trigger safety. It just looks different. Instead of having a "toggle" type lever in the center of the trigger face, the bottom of the trigger pivots. The bottom of the trigger acts as the toggle on the Glock.
    The Ruger SR9 has the Glock style toggle too. Most striker fired guns do have an integrated trigger safety.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Good observations!
    I think Kahr may be an exception of the striker w/out an external safety? Not sure of any others...

Don't all modern pistols have a firing pin block anyway?
    ...even a trigger "toggle" safety wouldn't help if, say, the striker springs failed...but theoretically the "pre cocked" state does not have enough stored energy to dent the primer.

and concur the M&P has a similar safety mechanism, but it feels different, so my be a bit more comfortable.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar

Take it easy Ram Rod. We were all new once, and thought we had at least one life altering truth to reveal to the forum that nobody else here knew.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I just picked up a Glock 19 and have no trouble with the triger safty.

Just put the Glock down and move on to something that you like.

Try a SIG P250....'nuff said

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I must admit, I don't understand it either. Anything capable of moving the trigger is capable of moving the trigger safety also. Be it a fall, snag, bump, whatever, therefore it is NO safety.
    If the pistol were to drop with sufficient force to move the trigger rearward, the force would also release the trigger safety. I don't get it.

Good observations!
    I think Kahr may be an exception of the striker w/out an external safety? Not sure of any others...

Don't all modern pistols have a firing pin block anyway?..........
    While all the Kahrs I've owned or fired have nice triggers, they are much different than the trigger of a XD or PPS (can't speak to Glock or M&P as never owned or fired one) in the amount of pull force and travel distance. Without the trigger safety, the pull weight and travel would have to be increased to prevent a possible firing from a drop, although the XD has the grip safety that should negate the possibility. And even if the gun has a firing pin block, it wouldn't prevent the gun from firing if a drop on the heel produced enough inertia to move the trigger as trigger movement disengages the firing pin safety.

In all honesty, I'm surprised you would even notice the presence of the trigger safety. I've always considered myself to have fairly sensitive fingertips. All of my varmint/target rifles have trigger pulls that measure in ounces (8-14) and my competition single action cowboy guns have triggers in the 1# range but I don't even notice the little spring loaded safety on the triggers of the XD & PPS. It just seems like a non-issue to me and I'd suggest you get used to the idea of them. Savage is even putting their Accu-Trigger on their inexpensive 22s now and I think you'll see more and more rifle manufacturers going to this style of trigger. It allows them to give you a much nicer, lighter & adjustable trigger pull out of the box and get around the lawyer inspired heavy triggers.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post

Take it easy Ram Rod. We were all new once, and thought we had at least one life altering truth to reveal to the forum that nobody else here knew.
    That is so true. As one of those people who has an opinion about everything, I am amazed how getting north of 40 has reduced my self-assumed expertise, and how much more easily I let those who are still "experts" gab without response. But Ramrod...that was freaking funny
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

If you don't like the serrated trigger, have a smooth one put in. Don't mess with the safety part.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links